Problem with Houdini 6.1.208 and KDE 3.2

13677   18   2
398 posts
Hi all!
I have one problem: if I run Houdini 6.1.208 under KDE 3.2 (MDK 10) Houdini won't to expand on full desktop. On the picture you can see the stripe with thickness of 6px. And Houdini window don't have a maximize button.
Similar problem was in MDK 9.2 with KDE 3.1. But under Gnome all okay.
How to fix it?

f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
113 posts
Can you maximize all the other apps, at the exception of Houdini ?

I'm not sure this works with KDE, but what if you use alt+right mouse button to resize the window ?
398 posts
Yes, other apps have maximize buttons and I can maximize.
And… I can't resize Houdini Window. On the picture showed maximal window size

fx td @ the mill
113 posts
did you try an other theme ? or windows decorations, ICEwm , etc …
4140 posts
I'm going to be dealing with this in a week or so(trying to get SUSE 9.1 to play with Houdini) - but first off - Houdini does have a peculiarity with regards to KDE in that there's always a strip of exposed desktop on the right side. I'm pretty sure this isn't caused by the lack of the expand button, per se - it's a different problem. I have the same thing with an older KDE here - and the expand button is there. It's a pain, I know - especially since there's an annoying bug with the open beta browser with scrolling stopping if you step outside the help. Real pain.

I'm fairly confident the other problem(the expand button) is solvable, but I'll need to get 3.2 installed here to find out. The latest KDE is supposed to be ridiculously configurable, so I'll bet it's do-able.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
237 posts
i am rite there with you. but i just accept it

i had this issue with suse 9.1 and now with 9.3
Robert Kelly
4140 posts
This was actually a pretty old thread. We've gone all-SUSE 10 now, and this problem is, by default, still there. However with KDE 3.4 you can fix the whole mess by making an alias for houdini such as this:

alias ho ‘houdini -geometry 1600x1200+0+0’

where obviously that 1600x1200 needs to be adjusted for your desktop resolution. Both the gap on the right and the maximize button are fixed. Even in earlier KDE, this at least fixes the gap on the right. I have a theory why all this is happening, those two issues are connected: that gap on the right “eats” into the internally stored space for the maximize button, so it fails to draw. You can see a clue to this by the odd spacing of the close and minimize button. I think if the reason for that gap in the first place was solved, all this would go away.

Don't know why it's Houdini-related. It's the only app I've ever experienced this with. Frankly I'd love to come across another one - maybe a common thread could be found.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
398 posts
Don't know why it's Houdini-related. It's the only app I've ever experienced this with. Frankly I'd love to come across another one - maybe a common thread could be found.

It's not only Houdini-related. I've heard about the same problem with Maya from one guy and I saw same problem with one of versions of Audacity (not with all versions).

fx td @ the mill
4140 posts
Maya has no gap, and no missing maximize button, the guy you're quoting must be mistaken. I can't speak for Audacity, but if someone could quote a specific version, that would be more useful than an anecdotal reference.

Of all the apps I've ever used under KDE, proprietary or O/S, I've never seen this behaviour elsewhere.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4262 posts
Another thing…

Even if you use the -geometry trick to maximize Houdini, if you try to resize the window at all and then remaximize it…nothing happens….the button becomes useless.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
398 posts
Maya has no gap, and no missing maximize button, the guy you're quoting must be mistaken.
Can you talk for ALL versions of Maya and ALL KDE builds? (btw I never saw problems with Maya too but…)

I can't speak for Audacity, but if someone could quote a specific version, that would be more useful than an anecdotal reference.
That's what my eyes saw I saw “good” and “bad” Audacity builds (with Houdini-like problem and without)

fx td @ the mill
4140 posts
My point was no-one can point at something and say “there it is”. Talking about something that's only been mentioned by someone who someone else knows who knew a guy who once…you see my drift. I can only respond to what I've seen, and to someone who says something like “vx.x of this app does the exact same thing”. Otherwise it's not much use to SESI.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4262 posts
I think its worth point out that all of the Houdini family has this problem…mplay, gplay, hkey, etc
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
398 posts
Hey guys. I see that that problem isn't KDE-related. I see the same problem (with Houdini window resize) in FVWM, MWM, WindowMaker and TWM too :?

fx td @ the mill
4140 posts
Very interesting. That probably makes it an X issue…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
2591 posts
JColdrick
Very interesting. That probably makes it an X issue…

Cheers,

J.C.

There are some environment variables which houdini checks if the X server isn't reporting accurate window sizes.. You can set HOUDINI_OVERRIDE_XRES and HOUDINI_OVERRIDE_YRES to different values to adjust what Houdini thinks the actual resolution of the screen is.

I don't know if this will help as it has it's own peculiarities…
398 posts
There are some environment variables which houdini checks if the X server isn't reporting accurate window sizes.. You can set HOUDINI_OVERRIDE_XRES and HOUDINI_OVERRIDE_YRES to different values to adjust what Houdini thinks the actual resolution of the screen is.

I don't know if this will help as it has it's own peculiarities…

Cute, this helps So for now we need to fix a problem with “+” button

fx td @ the mill
7025 posts
Nice trick, John, but sadly, doesn't seem to work on dual monitors! I am sad ( Works fine at home on my sad little single monitor, which is good!

Cheers,

Peter B

JColdrick
This was actually a pretty old thread. We've gone all-SUSE 10 now, and this problem is, by default, still there. However with KDE 3.4 you can fix the whole mess by making an alias for houdini such as this

alias ho ‘houdini -geometry 1600x1200+0+0’

where obviously that 1600x1200 needs to be adjusted for your desktop resolution. Both the gap on the right and the maximize button are fixed. Even in earlier KDE, this at least fixes the gap on the right. I have a theory why all this is happening, those two issues are connected that gap on the right “eats” into the internally stored space for the maximize button, so it fails to draw. You can see a clue to this by the odd spacing of the close and minimize button. I think if the reason for that gap in the first place was solved, all this would go away.

Cheers,

J.C.
412 posts
hey peter,

i actually just got this to work on my dual monitors.. and i bounded it to my hotkey from a link in the k menu. so now i can launch houdini maximized (with max/restore button!) and only on the primary monitor as quick as a ctrl-alt-h.

thanks for the tip JC…

for mine it was:

houdini -geometry 1280x960+1280+0
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links