RFE: Edge distance option for Soft Radius.

8357   15   5
129 posts
Don’t know if this has been brought up before but many times when modelling on areas where two surfaces are close in world space but further away in edge distance it can really help to have a soft radius that affects only the points with the distance calculated exclusively on closest neighbour faces. Examples are lips, eyelids, fingers, ears, nostrils and similar. It would be nice to have an option for that.
2199 posts
I've been rfe'ing this for years - so definetely gets my support. I actually ended up writing a sop to add a attribute based on edge distance myself in the end. But it really needs to be intergrated into the edit and transform sops.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
7714 posts
Does turning off Ignore Point Connectivity help?
2199 posts
Only when you have two seperate meshes, if the points are all part of the same model that doesn't help.
7714 posts
It still seems to work for me. I've attached an example.

Attachments:
softxform.zip (19.3 KB)

2199 posts
Doesn't work for me, sorry I think you are missing the point, the example you have ignores back facing points but this is not the same thing. Check out my example. In this situation you would want to move one edge of the hole but not the other. You can do this by using a edge count falloff rather than an actual distance.

Attachments:
softxform_si.zip (18.8 KB)

129 posts
Hi! Ignore point connectivity dont really do the trick since it only ignores backfaces. First i must say that I am not using Houdini professionally so perhaps you guys that do use it think its less important to have this option, but if I were to use Houdini in my work on a daily basis I think that this is a function that would help me a lot. I do mostly modelling and If I were supposed to use houdini for building my models and specifically BlendShapes I know that edge distance dropoff would indeed save me some time.

Simon I see that you totally understand my question and since I posted there has been another thread about the same issue here [sidefx.com]so it seems to be a common issue though.

Edge distance is also one of the issues being adressed in Silo for version 2 and here is a LINK [silo3d.com] to their forum. There is a video [silo3d.com]“.mov” on that page showing soft radius with edge distance combined with visual feedback.
184 posts
Hi folks,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've been asking this same question over in the Apprentice forum (with pictures :p) but it's not gaining much traction. Perhaps FX TDs don't have the same mundane needs as modellers

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=119424 [sidefx.com]

Is this still something I'll have to create my own sop for? (I don't mind, but bear in mind - apprentice!).

Cheers,
Adam
1769 posts
+1
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
1799 posts
Hey Soul, which operator are you referring to? is it softTransform, or Edit? Edit seems to be behaving as expected when using soft radius with default settings. I setup a soft radius, pick a point around the lip center and move it. it does. you can even play with the soft radius slider aafter the move to see the effect Eventually the actual effect will “wrap around” your inner mouth and catch up with the top, but for the most part it seems to work

Attachments:
closed.jpg (29.4 KB)
open.jpg (41.4 KB)

-G
169 posts
grayOlorin
Hey Soul, which operator are you referring to? is it softTransform, or Edit? Edit seems to be behaving as expected when using soft radius with default settings. I setup a soft radius, pick a point around the lip center and move it. it does. you can even play with the soft radius slider aafter the move to see the effect Eventually the actual effect will “wrap around” your inner mouth and catch up with the top, but for the most part it seems to work

I know this thread is a bit old but is there any progress or resolution?
grayOlorin - > Your example works in the middle of the lip, but not towards the corners… or on eyelids where they're even closer.

You either have to drop the Soft Radius and the transition becomes way too sharp, or you end up with something like the screenshot I've attached.

Attachments:
mouth.jpg (17.2 KB)

Winter is coming!
1265 posts
This really is annoying and needs to be looked at.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

RFE submitted

(ID=72902)
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
4504 posts
I implemented this for Houdini before and it's very fast:
https://vimeo.com/137783504 [vimeo.com]

Posting for reference
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
1265 posts
That is great pusat, but we need something that works in the edit node for quick modeling tweaks. This happens allot during modeling and shape creation, and I would not want to put down a separate node just for that.

I will however take a look at your hda…maybe it is something we can make use of in future.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
333 posts
Werner Ziemerink
we need something that works in the edit node for quick modeling tweaks.
+1
4504 posts
Werner Ziemerink
That is great pusat, but we need something that works in the edit node for quick modeling tweaks. This happens allot during modeling and shape creation, and I would not want to put down a separate node just for that.

I will however take a look at your hda…maybe it is something we can make use of in future.

Yes a non-procedural version would be a good addition for fast modeling.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links