Node Placement

11190   30   0
246 posts
I usually work “in context” where all of my “primitive” SOPs (Curve SOP, Box SOP, etc.), are created in the current object. When I'm jumping around a big network and making changes that involve the creation of new elements houdini likes to put the new “primitive” SOPs at the bottom of the network, regardless as to where my work is taking place. Is there a way to have the new SOPs created within the context of the network as it is currently framed in the network view window?
246 posts
The edit SOP seems to be the biggest culprit, who's placement often seems to be arbitrary (see below). All of the SOPs are created in-line vertically, as expected, but the edit SOP wasn't - any idea as to why this is?

Attachments:
edit_SOP.jpg (72.8 KB)

75 posts
I'd like to see this as well. Sometimes I'll have a lot of nodes only to go up one chain to add another node interactively (which I think is the cause). It's then placed way off in the network pane, making me drag it all the way back. Hitting L would mess up my current organization so that's not an option.
333 posts
same issue here. very annoying.
i remember it working some time ago. must be a bug.
387 posts
There is python function node.moveToGoodPosition()
It seems that after creating Edit SOP this function (functionality) isn't called so it looks like bug.
4189 posts
A little different here - EditSop is placed on top of the last node- os X, H13.0350.

Attachments:
EditSop.png (10.9 KB)

246 posts
MartybNz
A little different here - EditSop is placed on top of the last node- os X, H13.0350.

Yeah, I've seen that one a lot too. Bug submitted.
7717 posts
Oh hey, Stu, haven't seen you around in a while.

stu
I usually work “in context” where all of my “primitive” SOPs (Curve SOP, Box SOP, etc.), are created in the current object. When I'm jumping around a big network and making changes that involve the creation of new elements houdini likes to put the new “primitive” SOPs at the bottom of the network, regardless as to where my work is taking place.

I think this is actually because moveToGoodPosition() is being called. The default is to use the bbox of all the nodes and then put it into the lower-right corner or something like that.

Is there a way to have the new SOPs created within the context of the network as it is currently framed in the network view window?

Not right now, because you can have multiple network views up tied to the same parent object. There are some issues to an actual implementation, though not insurmountable:

1) You can have multiple network editors open with the same parent geo object. So you have to pick a single Network View pane to use it's view.

2) So now you have a view, where do you put new unwired nodes? What happens if you run out of space?

Feel free to log an RFE using the Support menu above detailing your request and how you would solve these issues (along with anything else you can think of ).
246 posts
Hi edward, long time no see, hope you're well! I was about a half an hour away from attending the last SESI technical evening and then got called away last minute.

You raise some good points, especially with regards to multiple network views. I'd love the ability to be able to tab/curve SOP in the viewport and the key-command-single-click in a network pane in order to place/reposition the new node easily without having to hunt for it.
1769 posts
hi!

you can drop a node to the shelf(right click) and assign a hotkey for that, i use this to quickly drop down the most used nodes.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
246 posts
Instantiating the tool isn't a problem, my issue is in invoking an unwired tool in the viewport and it's subsequent node position in the network editor.

RFE submitted for the network pane key-command-click reposition current/active node submitted.
246 posts
stu
MartybNz

Yeah, I've seen that one a lot too. Bug submitted.

UPDATE: sculpt SOP has the same issue, H13.0.357.
246 posts
This is brutal (see below, edit SOP). Every time I put a new edit SOP down I have to zoom out, hunt it down, zoom in, select it, zoom out, drag it somewhere closer to where I was working before, pan the network, drag it some more (it takes more than one “drag” because it's position is so far away that it's too small to select if I want to see the entire network) and zoom in again.

Attachments:
edit_SOP_position.jpg (127.2 KB)

7717 posts
I have trouble seeing why the node should go so far down, smells like an unintentional bug to me. Please log it with steps to reproduce. Thanks!
246 posts
edward
I have trouble seeing why the node should go so far down, smells like an unintentional bug to me. Please log it with steps to reproduce. Thanks!

Are there intentional bugs?

I'll see if I can reproduce, thanks edward!
258 posts
stu
This is brutal (see below, edit SOP). Every time I put a new edit SOP down I have to zoom out, hunt it down, zoom in, select it, zoom out, drag it somewhere closer to where I was working before, pan the network, drag it some more (it takes more than one “drag” because it's position is so far away that it's too small to select if I want to see the entire network) and zoom in again.

this bothers me uber amount also, exactly the same problem
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
246 posts
Hey edward,

A little more investigation seems to bear out an interesting relationship between the number of SOPs in the network and the position offset of the new edit SOP - the more nodes there are in the network, the further the displacement, ie. the problem is magnified by the complexity of the network.
12467 posts
It's like that ever-increasing Copy/Paste offset, right?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
246 posts
Might be, there's definitely an accumulation to the positional error as the network grows.

Bug report updated with new information, ID=60649.
246 posts
Update: still happening, 13.0.401. Bug report updated to reflect.
  • Quick Links