Material on different part of Object

3994   7   0
17 posts
Hi guys!

I have 1 object, a ball with spikes around it. How do I apply a different material on the spikes? Say I want the ball to be wood and the spikes to be metal? and there are too many spikes to select individually and everything is one full geometry.

How do I work my way through this?

Does bounding box work in this case?

Thank you,
Tanner
53 posts
You can make a group for the ball and a group for the spikes, then assign different materials to each group.

It's hard to say how you'd select all the spikes though without seeing an image, did you create the ball and spikes in Houdini or import it from another application?
www.carlocarfora.co.uk [www.carlocarfora.co.uk]
17 posts
carlo_c
You can make a group for the ball and a group for the spikes, then assign different materials to each group.

It's hard to say how you'd select all the spikes though without seeing an image, did you create the ball and spikes in Houdini or import it from another application?

It's not spikes, just using spikes as an example.

The object is a whole. It's modeled in Houdini, it's a VDB converted polygon.

Edited by - Feb. 13, 2015 02:43:57

Attachments:
whole.jpg (328.7 KB)

4189 posts
You can use a ‘bounding sphere’ in the GroupSop
17 posts
MartybNz
You can use a ‘bounding sphere’ in the GroupSop

Cool! Thanks for the help. It works!
Staff
3456 posts
you could also try a group SOP using the Normal option
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
17 posts
I am trying for a more ‘art-direct’ approach where I can paint to determine where I want my material to be applied but to no avail.

I had tried using the group paint sop then followed by a material sop with points attribute selected the material still doesn't show up in the painted area.
17 posts
ok, I tried this method for the group paint sop and it works!

First I use a group paint sop to paint ‘group’ a specific area, then i use a group sop to convert the selected group from points to primitives and finally apply a material with that group as selection.

Attachments:
painthgroup.jpg (285.6 KB)

• Quick Links