Slicing up mesh equally without reducing primitive count

3994   10   1
20 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a high resolution mesh that I'd like to cut up into smaller pieces while retaining the shape of the mesh.

So take a mesh like this:

Cut it into pieces roughly the size of the highlighted:

To achieve an effect like this:

I feel like I would use the group node here but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it?

Maybe use a lattice of some sort to slice it up?
20 posts
Okay, scratch that idea. I think with the mesh I'm using I'd rather go in and select/paint the primitives I want to use specifically.

I'm guessing I'd use a group node for each piece…but then how would you animate the primitives in that group?
2624 posts
its jogged my interest , heres your mesh sliced up using abound sop and fracture hope its useful

Rob
Edited by - May 10, 2016 02:30:09

Attachments:
rse_slice_up.hip (1.1 MB)

Gone fishing
Staff
3455 posts
you could put the mesh in uv space and cut it up there - then move the pieces back into 3d space.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
20 posts
circusmonkey
its jogged my interest , heres your mesh sliced up using abound sop and fracture hope its useful

Rob

Voronoi fracture, of course! Thank you!

What would be the best way to move the individual pieces?
20 posts
arctor
you could put the mesh in uv space and cut it up there - then move the pieces back into 3d space.

Unfortunately I'm still pretty new to UVs in Houdini, what would be the best way to go about doing something like this?
20 posts
It might actually be easier if I use Maya's Mesh > Extract to do the cutting up, the process is a lot more straight forward and I can export as an OBJ with groups

Since I'm so new to Houdini I'm wondering if it would be easier to animate the pieces separating in Cinema 4D and bringing that into Houdini for particle fx and lighting or to do it all in Houdini.

For instance I want the pieces to move out slightly along their normal, lock into place, then rotate open.

You can definitely do this in Houdini but how would you gather the pieces together so that their rotation can be modified with an effector?
2624 posts
Voronoi fracture, of course! Thank you!

What would be the best way to move the individual pieces?

Your going to have to dig around and do exploration on that , I am sure there's something exposed via the cluster point or fracture centroid , try and manipulate one single piece first.

Kind regards

Rob
Gone fishing
483 posts
something like this :-?
I know, can be done more smart and with chops for animation…
was only a test.

Attachments:
cut_by_uv_island_and_move.hip (327.4 KB)
cut_by_uv_island_and_move_blend.hip (328.3 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
Attachment again

Attachments:
cut_by_uv_island_and_move_blend.hip (328.3 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
20 posts
matthias_k
something like this :-?
I know, can be done more smart and with chops for animation…
was only a test.

Thanks for taking the time to put that together Matthais. I ended up using connectivity and partition with a foreach subnet to achieve the desired effect
  • Quick Links