squid skin

3419   8   1
21 posts
I have a surface that i've populated with changing disc scales(see attached). I was wondering if i could be animating this scene in a smarter way that doesn't take such a speed hit when previewing the effect, eventually my surface will have over 5000 pixels.
Edited by 212A - July 18, 2016 17:09:00

Attachments:
scalesquidskintest.hipnc (304.2 KB)
scale.JPG (116.6 KB)

1737 posts
Cool setup!

Had a quick look, the performance monitor is your friend here. Create a new performance monitor tab, hit record, let the scene play back for a bit. Stop recording, your nodes are now colour coded to show you where things are going slow.

After doing that, its your point vops to generate pscale, which was surprising. Looking inside, the thing that stood out was the turbulent noise. You have the turbulence set to 10, meaning its stacking 10 copies of itself to get super fine detail, which you'll barely be able to see. Try setting it down to the default of 5, and use the frequency controls to set the size of the noise instead.

On top of that you have curl noise driving turbulent noise. If I just drove it from @P instead, it wasn't quite so slow, but of course changes the look.

Finally swapping to packed geometry rather than ‘live’ geo helps a little; on the copy sop, stamp tab, enable ‘pack geometry before copying’. That will help when you get to really high point counts, but you loose the viewport preview of colours. As long as you use a pack-aware shader (like the principled shader with ‘use packed colour’ enabled), it will work in the renderer.

Also, when the whole setup is in motion, I didn't noticed the 3 different circles scaling at different rates as much as I expected. You might get better performance by taking your 3 circles, merging them first, then copy sop, rather than running 3 separate copy sops, but again that'll change the look if you need to see each circle scale slightly differently.

-matt

Edited by mestela - July 18, 2016 18:20:52
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
21 posts
thanks so much that helped hugely. i'm going to render it in cinema 4d, but i didn't know about the principal shader.
thanks

a
Staff
3455 posts
oooh lovely - I've wanted to do this forever….
squid/cuttlefish etc have these little groups of cells (almost like RGB) that expand and contract…
you could do some crazy stuff with this…drive the changes with animated UVs or with music!
please keep us updated on your results
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2624 posts
I wonder if the entire look could not be done in a shader.
Gone fishing
21 posts
yep i'll definitely keep you posted. Hopefully get this entire rig working by this weekend. How do you create animated UV's?

A
Staff
3455 posts
courtesy of Jeff Wagner.

Attachments:
panner_vop.zip (200.8 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
COOL thanks for the example, i tried using some particles and a solver node to effect the squid surface with motion fx. I can't get the solver node to die over time though, so that the colour and the scale stops after some trailage.I know it's something to do with the interpolation bias because normally lowering that fades the colour out so i assume the same would happen if i applied it to the scaleweight attribute but no

Attachments:
MINISOLVERSCALETEST.hiplc (397.6 KB)
riversideribbon3.hiplc (674.2 KB)
solver not fading.JPG (137.1 KB)

21 posts
unrelated question 2:
I have a surface that i've generated with a vop shader for content, the content is baked out using the bake texture node and then brought back into houdini and baked out as a texture atlas using the mosaic node in the composite tab. The texture atlas is then loaded into unreal engine, it animates and is mapped correctly, but it has pixelated borders for each pixel.
I want to create a texture atlas that doesn't draw each polygon it just represents it as a squaregrid (uv grid?), so that it takes up less room on the texture atlas sheet. Unless there is a better way that anyone knows of that i'm not seeing?
a
Edited by 212A - July 25, 2016 15:37:23

Attachments:
texture atlas.JPG (278.8 KB)
texture atlas2.JPG (231.5 KB)
bird5.JPG (245.2 KB)
BIRD2.hiplc (2.1 MB)
VID-20160612-WA0001[1].mp4 (3.9 MB)

• Quick Links