Queston about the training sessions att GDC 2017

3678   7   4
2 posts
Hello! I'm new to Houdini and have an Indie License. I wonder if the training sessions at the GDC 2017 was recorded and if so if they will be available for us to watch in the future? I am struggling to learn Houdini and new teaching material would be great and specially about the new functions in Houdini, like the new terrain tools and the modelling tools.

/Patrick
16 posts
Hallo, this is a good question.

I live in South Africa so recordings would be great thanks.
Staff
92 posts
Hi Patrick, yes most of them were recorded and we'll be publishing them in the next week or two.

We'll also be developing lots of new tutorials, masterclasses and webinars on Houdini 16 overall, and especially terrains.

What would be your top 3 or 5 topics you'd live to see covered in greater detail?

Chris
2 posts
Wow! That sounds great. Thank you! Looking forward to that. Beside terrains I would really like to see a detailed tutorial on a good workflow using Houdini and Unreal Engine 4 (or Unity). On how to export and import terrain, procedural models, water simulations and so on. I would also like to see a detailed tutorial on how to use Mantra. I'm also really interested in those new fur and hair tools and would very much like to see that covered in detail and how to get a good photo real render out of that with mantra. The muscle tools would really be interesting to see in use and also how to create those close camera shots on water drop splashes and how to set up a good lightning setup for that. And also how to use the modelling tools and a good workflow on how to create procedural modelling like houses and things like that.

Patrick
604 posts
chebert
What would be your top 3 or 5 topics you'd live to see covered in greater detail?

Terrain Masterclass
Fur Masterclass
Muscle Masterclass
Compiled SOP Quickstart
OpenCL SOP Quickstart
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
83 posts
A Master class for artists like us who don't like to code or write expressions. Maybe a comprehensive tutorial series on VOPs to drive geometry creation/editing etc.
41 posts
nisachar
A Master class for artists like us who don't like to code or write expressions. Maybe a comprehensive tutorial series on VOPs to drive geometry creation/editing etc.
The differences between shop context and the new mat context are different enough (plus the new features like layers, skin shader, hair shader, principled shader, material builder) that learning is difficult with the old tutorials no longer 100% applicable to H16. I too would like to see a mat/VOP masterclass focused on the newer stuff in H16 that you can't get from the older tutorials.
147 posts
Yes, a dedicated video on all the new shading stuff in the /mat context, and shading related workflow.

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
  • Quick Links