Autorig unable to generate

3285   6   2
21 posts
Hi:

I tried using autorig today and encounter some problem.

So I made a human model with Makehuman program, exported as fbx.
Then I imported it into Houdini and made an autorig using biped preset. I clicked generate rig after I aligned joints to the geometry, I got a error message “Asset Error, Unable to generate rig”. The autorig panel went blank and left me a rig detached with geometry.

So my question is: what went wrong? Is this a bug or I missed some procedure?

FYI: I am using houdini indie 16.0.600, on MacOS sierra.I have attached fbx and houdini file I used in attachment.
Edited by Kai Xu - June 3, 2017 07:59:12

Attachments:
Test01.fbx (1.6 MB)
ArkFigurehead.hiplc.zip (924.5 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
hi
hard to say what went wrong without more information
in the attached zip:
I started another autorig and fit it to the failed one - I didn't do the fingers
to finish off this one, load it into the autorigs panel using File > Load Existing
in the other file I built the rig - no errors - and saved out the geometry with capture attributes, then read it back in using a file SOP

I've thought about automatically saving the AutorigsSettings ever time a module is added - so in a case like this you wouldn't lose as much work, I'll revisit this idea.

if this happens again please let us know

Attachments:
ArkFigurehead_sidfx.zip (3.2 MB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
HI:

Thank you very much for replying!

Now I updated to daily build 16.0.629. I tried again to finish off my previous attempt right before I click generate rig button. The first thing I notice is that the hand are not in the position I placed last time I saved, although other bones seems to be fine. I then deleted the hand bones, proceed to generate rig successfully. However when I click on the deform sop I got and error message “Error No capture attributes exist. ” I traced the error to the solidembed sop, and got another error message“Error The sub-network output operator failed to cook: /obj/AutorigTest2/geo_skin/solidembed/output1 Error: Invalid source solidembed:attribtransfer2.. ”

I do not know how to proceed from this point. In fact, the same error is in the file you attached as well. The deform sop in the generated rig does not work. However the deform sop in your file sop with bgeo works. Is file->bgeo with captured geometry the necessary step to make generated rig work? If so could you explain a little bit how to make such a bgeo file? In the auto rig master class tutorial the generated rig just worked when deform sop is enabled so I am very confused here.

Thanks again
Kenyon
Edited by Kai Xu - June 5, 2017 23:28:29
Staff
3455 posts
the hand bones will be different in the file I uploaded because I didn't position them to match your original layout, once the character is enabled in the Autorigs panel you can make the required adjustments.

I've rebuilt the autorig with your geometry a couple of time and it works fine.
I'm out of the office this week and next but I'll have another look at your file this weekend.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
Hi

I have attached the file I used after I updated my houdini to 16.0.629.
Thank you for looking into this!

Attachments:
AutorigTestAfterGenerate02.hiplc (4.0 MB)
DeformErrorAfterGenerateRig.png (33.6 KB)

402 posts
Hi Kenyon,

Your ‘input geometry’ node doesn't actually contain any geometry. If you drop an object merge down above that null that grabs the mesh from the fbx then you should start to get something (dont forget to re-stash the stash node!).
Henry Dean
21 posts
Hi

I just did another go on Mac, houdini 16.0.629. And get “Autorig failed to generate” again.

This time I exported a geo obj from the fbx, then go ahead align the bones.

As you can see in the image I attached, I got the geo on the input this time and still got same errors.

friedasparagus
Hi Kenyon,

Your ‘input geometry’ node doesn't actually contain any geometry. If you drop an object merge down above that null that grabs the mesh from the fbx then you should start to get something (dont forget to re-stash the stash node!).

Attachments:
Autorigtest04.hiplc.zip (1.1 MB)
AutorigTest04.png (37.8 KB)

• Quick Links