Disney's The Wild Trailer news

27649   29   2
Staff
3455 posts
you may have seen this post over at the resurected od:
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3531 [odforce.net]

so check the trailer out sometime today (Jan 9) and let us all know what you think…

I'd like to congratulate C.O.R.E and say a big thank you to Side Effects for the great support all this time…

enjoy.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
3455 posts
here is a version you may be able to see:
http://movies.go.com/movies/movie?name=thewild_2006&genre=family&studio=Walt%20Disney%20Pictures [movies.go.com]
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
405 posts
Hey Guys,

The trailer looked really good. Much better than the pictures that were leaked. Houdini looks pretty good for those character tools. I hope it does well in the theatres.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
6 posts
I am new at this and just wanted to see if I can really do this. Plus, the link that is showen, does it take alot of computer space?

Thanks,

Witch
HELP! Just trying to learn 3D!
Staff
3455 posts
hi…
by “…do this”…what do you mean exactly?

as for the link…it's just a flash based video…takes no space at all…have a look
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
6 posts
Thanks for answering my post. I will check out the link. And, what I meant by, “do this”. Well, my daughter will graduate this May. Then, She will turn 18 this June. And, there is a college course that she wants to get, that starts this July. Yes, a lot of things going down very fast. The course is a BA of Science in Media Arts & Animation. It's through, “The Institute Online”. It's a Pittsburg College. But, it's done online only. I have have her high school check it out. They think it's pretty good. But, it will cost just under $77,000. And that's a 4 year college. Then she wants this software. And the computer she wants for this college has to be made. It will cost about $3,500. So, I have to find out how to do everything by July.
I need to understand more about the type of art animation she likes, to help get things rolling for her. So, if I ask a stupid question, remember, I have a daughter who probably asked me the same question.

Thanks again,

Witch
Staff
3455 posts
sweet jebus!
$77K?…all online?

PLEASE do post any questions you have….I'm sure we can offer some advice before you drop that kind of cash….
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4262 posts
WitchStorm
Then she wants this software.

That part is easy as you can use the Apprentice Edition for free. There a few limitations like the size of the image you can create but for learning purposes it shouldn't be a issue.

Also I'd be a little careful with “all-online” courses. Much of the ‘learning’ I did in college was from interacting with other students who were interested in the same things as I was.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
6 posts
Thanks for all the help. I talk to her high school counselor and she thinks that this school is pretty good. She is also taking a course online. ( the counselor) So, I hope I can get her started in this school. None of the local colleges have the course that she wants. And, her father won't let her go out of state to go to college. He says that she is to little to go out on her own. She's maybe about 4 feet 11 inches tall and weighs about 89 pounds soaking wet. A small wind can blow her over. If it wasn't for that heavy bookbag that she carries, the wind would blow her away. :wink:

Witch
412 posts
Hi Witch,

Do you happen to have a web link to the school you are considering for your daughter? I only ask because my search results only bring up the online classes offered by the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (see these links: http://www.aip.artinstitutes.edu/ [aip.artinstitutes.edu] and http://www.education.org/artinstitutes/online.php).. [education.org] If this is the case, then why not just directly send her to the school rather than pursuing it online? I'm assuming you live in/near Pittsburgh, so you might as well let her go to the classes if you're paying that much for it. As far as the Art Institute goes. The Art Institute has colleges based in major cities all over the country. Some are just ok, some are great. It really depends on that specific one and the faculty and student base involved. I would highly suggest taking your family for a visit. Have your daughter ask questions, ask to see the facilities, ask about scholarships and federal loans, see the dorms, see what the other students are producing, ask them what they think of the school and the program.. That's what the people are there for. They want to sell you a 4 year subscription, so they'll take the time to show you around and answer anything. AND they will know a lot more about the school than the high school counseler. I promise you. Plus, you will see it first hand and be able to make your own judgements. I would never consider going to a school I haven't visited yet.

As for the online classes. I agree completely with Wolfwood. A huge amount of my learning and dedication was due to the enviroment. The students and faculty can really get your spirit up and moving as long as you have the passion about it in yourself in the first place. It will be much much harder trying to accomplish the same things on your own, in a room at home, sitting at a desk. Seeing what other people are doing will only push your daughter into saying, wow i really want to do that too or even hey I could do that a lot better. And then she's off doing it and being a better artist because of it. Lots to be had when your around others who love doing the same things you do.

Onto the next thing.. if your husband doesn't want her to go out of the state, I can respect that. I don't agree with it but I can respect it.. If this is really what she loves doing and has the passion for it, let her go do it, where ever that might be. She's 18, she will be fine. College is really not that scary (another reason to go visit the school and see what kind of student life is there..) Of course this is of all personal opinion and the decision is completely between you and your family.. I just felt the need to say something because I can't begin to express the gratitude i have for my parents letting me go and pursue my dreams. Without them, none of this would have been possible and it's made our relationship stronger than ever. Now going back to the state wide thing, go to this link: http://www.artschools.com/usa/ [artschools.com] and click on the state of Pennsylvania. This will list all the art related school in that state for you guys to check out. Not all of them will be great schools obviously and not all will have an animation program, but it's definitely worth the time to browse through. If it were me, I would make up a list of 4 or 5 that you really like. Go and check them out and make your decision based on that. Another important thing to think about is to don't feel rushed. Don't think of it as she has to find a school by July. If you miss the application dates, don't sweat it. Just sign up to start in the winter time and have her start learning on her own while doing a side job until then.

Now on to costs. Do not buy her any software. There are plenty of learning editions for people to try out and use while studying. Plus the school will have labs to go to and have all of the software she will need for the classes. If she wants to invest in some of them, make sure to ask about student editions which are much much cheaper. Also tell her to download the apprentice version of Houdini for free and start playing with it. You have nothing to lose. Plus, a computer should not cost her $3500. That's a lot of money in my opinion. I built my own while i was in school and it had a good amount of things in it and only cost me $2300. And it's the same machine I'm still using and typing this on today. Still use it to create my artwork on as well.

Well, i probably forgot to write some other things I meant to mention, but seeing that it's already a novel's length, i will stop here. I really have to commend you on coming on here and asking these things. Taking the time to research this will mean a lot to your daughter and it will only improve her education in the end. :wink:

Best of luck and feel free to ask us any other questions you might have.
Dave Quirus
6 posts
Hi Deecue,

Thanks for the information. It would be nice to go check out this school, but we live in Texas. That's a long way off. Anyway, I have checked the local college here, and they don't have what she wants to study. I sure wished they did. But, I am also interested in this course. So, if I can get her through it, then maybe I can also take the school. I finially told her father about this school. He's in the process of trying to find the money to put her through this school. She's the baby and he'll do anything for her. Damn, I wished I had it so good. I'm just the Mom. And, I would like to see one of my children get to follow their dream. So far, she is the only one of them that has stuck with the same thing for all these years. The others kept changing their minds of what they wanted to be. But, not her. She eats, sleeps, dreams, and sees the would as anime. Even her teachers has noticed that. Sometimes I worry about her. But, it's art. And, I love art. So, it's natural that she would too. Thanks for your help.

Witch :wink:
7025 posts
Hi,
I would like to 2nd or 3rd the advice about online courses. I feel it is 100% essential to interact with other people. I would go so far as to say “don't bother” with an online course! Yes, that's how strongly personal interaction is, in my humble opinion. I'm doing my Master's in Animation right now. I'm (humbly but honestly) an expert Houdini user, but I would find very little value working in an online course. If your daughter wants to just learn software (NOT a good idea) that can be done at home with online resources. However, if she wants to be a technically competant artist and get a good job, she needs others to bounce ideas around, sit with for hours in a lab, have a teacher to go and bug etc.
I'm not against online learning, but I think it's appropriate in some cases and not in others. Also, she wants Houdini specifically? I'm curious why, and I'm also wondering, does the online school you're looking at support Houdini? Houdini is pretty specialized, specifically used by large Film special effects studios. It's very good to know it, if you're a good artist and know Houdini, you're pretty much at the head of the queue for a job. Just wondering if she's taking the right path for herself.

Cheers,

Peter Bowmar
6 posts
Hi!

Thanks for your response. I am very confident that this will work. She has many friends that sit and draw together. They are all wanting the same course. They hope to someday in the future to have their own production company. Of course, there are a few in the group that want to study the business aspect of it all. Together and alone they all ready do their comics. Now, they just want to take it a step futher. She is an excellent artist. She has been in competitions for art and even won a few. She has had an Anime Write/Artist tell her that when she was 14 years old that she was better than he was at 30. He told her that someday he will be seeing her anime everywhere. She takes pride in her art work. It is everywhere in this house. All her frineds have some of her pictures. Alot of it is on deviant art. This is her site at deviant art, go to “deviantart.com” then type in “eeveesama” it will bring you to her page with some of her art there. Hope you enjoy.
Thanks for all the help.

Witch
412 posts
It would be nice to go check out this school, but we live in Texas.

There is a Media Arts and Animation program at the Art Institute of Dallas. Maybe that's worth the trip over to check out and see?

http://www.aid.artinstitutes.edu/ [aid.artinstitutes.edu]

Just wondering if she's taking the right path for herself.

I'm wondering this now as well.. After seeing how much she's into drawing and doing anime depictions, I would think an Illustration major would be better suited for her.. But once again, this is just my own interpretation/opinion..

She has many friends that sit and draw together. They are all wanting the same course.

This is fine and good.. But where it becomes crucial is if they all have a strong enough relationship to be able to go to eachother and tell them that there art work sucks. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's important to have strong criticism from your peers and mentors. You won't find it everywhere and most of the kids i went to school with always wussed out.. But there would always be a few dependable people including myself that would just be brutally honest even after knowing how much one had slaved over it. It was the only way we all improved time after time… I wouldn't have had it any other way..
Dave Quirus
412 posts
also another note on the tuition costs and money issue.. have you looked in to federal loans (both student and PLUS)? The PLUS typically has very low interest rates and many student stafford ones are subsidized leaving no responsibility for payment till 6 months after graduation.. What I see many parents do is make payments for the PLUS while the student is in school (typically $300-$500 a month), and then after graduation, the kid either starts paying the student loan off after 6 months or takes over the PLUS loan from the parents. This allows for the kid to concentrate on studies during their their time at school and then once they graduate, it gives them some responsibility. Hey, it's what they went to school for, right? Might as well get a job doing that and start paying it off.. just my humble opinion..

for more information about that stuff, i would speak with the financial aid office at the school.. you can also check out http://studentaid.ed.gov/ [studentaid.ed.gov] and http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ [fafsa.ed.gov] .. hope that helps..
Dave Quirus
6 posts
Thanks to all of you who have posted.

I have no problem with the money part if her father is going to pay for it. After all he has his own company. I say let him go for it. But, for her going even to Dallas, it's still far from us. Hours wise. It's just I don't drive on the highways due to the fear of the traffic. And, she doesn't drive at all. Due to the fact that she can't keep her eyes on the road. To many stores along the way. She's not a blond, but when it comes to driving, look out. And, her father can't take off every weekend to go get her and then take her back to school. So, in the long run, this is the best school for her. Right now, she has been working with, “Paint Shop Pro 6, Animation Shop 2”. She has been doing pretty good with it. I didn't know it could do half the things that she makes it do. For this summer I want her to down load the Free Houdini program, just to see if she likes it. I think she will be able to do wonders with it. We'll just have to wait and see. More later,
Thanks all,

Witch
2199 posts
I think that is a good plan, get a computer get Apprentice set up, buy “the Magic of Houdini” download all the tutorials and start learning if she's still hooked after a couple of months and really gets it then go for it.
Chances are that if she is that committed she can learn everything she needs from the free resources, but if money is no problem (I'd love to know what you get for that amount though, it seems pretty huge).
But I agree with Peter the main reason to go to college is to network with other artists and employers, if she's not planning to leave home and working for herself is the only option then maybe that isn't required.
Me I learnt pretty much all my basic 3d from one book and one free piece of software then went to college to meet someone who'd give me a job.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
156 posts
Dear Witch,

I am also from Texas and I can definently relate to you situation which is why I really wanted to respond to you.

1) I went straight from my public high school and into a $18,000 a year college in Georgia without ever visiting it. It was the best and hardest experience of my life! The only thing I wish I had done different was spend one more year at home taking the simple classes- english, math, science, etc.

2)Your daughter will be a better and stronger person in a physical environment where a teacher can sit down with her if she has a problem. Some things CANNOT be taught in books. Also, its not enough for mom and dad to say “wow sweety, thats neat”. my mom thinks everything i do is neat, but when i see the guy's stuff next to me, i know i need to work harder. Its also INTERGRAL for an artist to receive criticism, even when its scary or you are super proud of what you have done. if she wants a JOB in the field she will be critiqued and she needs to get use to 5 or 6 people saying, hey, you need to fix that walk cycle.

3) Dont let anything stop you from visiting the college or traveling! this is your daughter's dream!! You and your daughter are both adults and you are both going to have to over come a lot of different anxieties in the next 4 years. so what if she isnt a great driver, she has to learn sometime and you cant do it for her forever. the best way to learn is to try!!

That's my advice from a girl who has BEEN there. I almost didnt get admitted because my school lost a recommendation the week before the deadline. It was the only school I applied for because no other school would do. Let me just reiterate though, real life experience is the only way she is going to learn, and thats something no class can teach. only dedicated hours in the lab in front of a monitor is going to make her dream come true, no matter what. ive learned a lot in the classroom but ive learned more from my friends, which are important to have in the industry.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
156 posts
one more thing! houdini isnt taught in very many schools. if you want her to get her feet wet try Maya. houdini is great and is my fave program, but Maya is cheaper and what is going to be more accessable to schools. houdini and Maya are very different work flows and she will need to be familiar with BOTH. in the begining, she will probably be more comfortable with maya, as it is more intuitive.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
7724 posts
What does “cheaper” have to do with anything when you're learning 3D? Both Houdini Apprentice and Maya PLE are free. Houdini Apprentice even has less restrictions. As for “intuitiveness”, does it really exist? Or is it simply what one is “used” to?
  • Quick Links