Houdini & Windows 10 ---> :(

7750   13   5
11 posts
I was wondering if anybody has the same issues with Win 10:

-QT5 version doesn't work at all on Win 10… it crashes immediately after startup.
this is since the first QT5 version of 16.0 was released… happens with every build. happens with every display (Nvidia) driver.
QT4 version works fine though.

But what really freaks me out:

- since i switched to Win 10,
i cannot use any houdini pane on my second screen anymore…. it crashes immediately with the first interaction on a GUI element of houdini which is placed on the second screen.
this also happens with every available Nvidia driver, and happens with every build available.

has anyone the same experience?
is there a workaround to make it work on more than one display with Win 10?

help is highly appreciated
Staff
4438 posts
This is news to us, for sure… I've been on Win10 for years now, with no issues (with either crashing or problems with dual monitors). Can you submit the output of Help -> About Houdini -> Details View either on this thread or in a bug submission or email to support@sidefx.com? Obviously you'll need to generate this info from the Qt4 version of Houdini, but that should be fine for our debugging purposes. Also if you have any crash log files generated by running the Qt5 version those would be appreciated too. Thanks, and sorry that you're having trouble…
11 posts
Hey! First of all: thanks for the quick reply.

But that confuses me a bit…

i'm in contact with support regarding this issues since january…

here some quotes from sesi support:

regarding the multimonitor crash:

“Our developers believe that this is a bug. They are working to fix the problem.”

six weeks later after further questioning:

“This is still an active bug that our developers are working to fix. I have no ETA for a fix.”

and regarding the startup crash:

“…. you may also want to try installing the Houdini 16.0.504 - Qt4 build ….”

would it help to give you the case number? is it appropriate here?

kind regards
Staff
4438 posts
Oh, I didn't realize you had already submitted a bug. I'm not the one dealing with it (obviously), but someone clearly is. Now that 16.5 is out it might be a good time to prod support for an update on the issue
323 posts
my 5 cent on this:
I had the same issue. At the time i used two monitors with different resolutions. (1x 1920x 1200 2nd was 2560x1600)
I had a hunch so i tried it with a second monitor of my daughter….

Now i have two monitors with the same resolution and the issues are gone.

Olaf
11 posts
Not in my case…
The monitors are identical.

The only “difference” is that one of them (primary) is connected via dvi on both ends, the second one via display port -> adapter -> dvi.

Btw:
I have no issues with any other 3d application.

ZBrush, 3dsmax, Substance
All running fine on both screens
806 posts
Moin,

I have been running Houdini 15, 15.5 and 16 without any issues (like the described, of course, there are issues at times) on Windows 10pro using two monitors, one with 2560x1440 (secondary screen) and one with 1920x1080 (primary screen). Using NVidia GTX 970 as the graphics card.
That would make me think that there is a system specific problem involved.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
11 posts
Hi! Since it occured i exchanged my whole system except the graphics card (palit jetstream gtx970)

Both issues (qt5 and dualmonitor) are the same on both systems…

Can this be related to my specific graphics card ?!

And as i said, i have absolutely no issues with any other application…
806 posts
Going out on a limb here …

> Can this be related to my specific graphics card ?!

… my assumption would be: Yes. My own GTX970 has caused me a lot of trouble with some driver versions where other people with other (GTX970) had no issues in their setups with the same driver versions.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
4 posts
Late to the party, but I had exactly the same issue as houndman.

In my case it turns out it was the Asus Sonic Suite 2 that came installed with my Asus ROG laptop.
Once I removed that software Houdini qt5 works perfectly.
Here are my specs:
  • Geforce GTX1060 8 GB
  • Intel i7-7700 2.80 Ghz
  • 16 Gb Ram
  • 1920x1080 120Hz

I realized it was that as it was mentioned in the crash log, also I found this article which made me think it must have been that.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84588-G752VY-Sonic-Studio-II-makes-games-crash [rog.asus.com]

It is similar to the solution that Peter found on his thread here, again sound software.
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/48471/ [www.sidefx.com]

So yeah for whatever weird reason is looks like it is sound driver/ software that causes this.

Hope this helps!
11 posts
pietroponti
In my case it turns out it was the Asus Sonic Suite 2

Hey pietroponti,

i cannot say how much i appreciate your hint, pointing in that direction.

all systems i HAD this issue are equipped with ROG mainboards and had the software you mentioned installed.

after removing it all issues are GONE !!!!

QT5 —> now working
dual monitor –> now working

thank you soooooooo much, man! you made my day! i owe you a tanker of beer !
1769 posts
You dont need to uninstall it, just use its system tray icon to exit Sonic Studio, Houdini will not crash after you do this.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
4 posts
Good stuff houndman, really glad it helped!

Nice to know as well buki thanks!
147 posts
Asus and it's own software…….
Never install it, it gives you more pain than gain so to speak.

Glad you have it up and running again.
And how hard it is to find and fix these kind of problems when they're not really related to the software itself, but 3rd party stuff.

And the GTX970 is ‘faulty’, as it has memory issues. Maybe that will add to the issues?

rob
Edited by RobW - Oct. 12, 2018 03:10:56
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
  • Quick Links