Edge flow curvature

5338   8   2
12 posts
After long period of search, I still cannot set flow curvature of inserted edge loop like in Maya or 3DsMax. Anyone knows how to get this done?
Edited by Houdini_Zero - Dec. 15, 2018 03:36:03

Attachments:
send.jpg (337.4 KB)

670 posts
Interesting question! Could someone possibly explain how curvature can be propagated through a mesh?
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
89 posts
https://vimeo.com/248920809 [vimeo.com]
Gameloft
12 posts
PaQ WaK
https://vimeo.com/248920809 [vimeo.com]
I know DM, but I'm just wondering, it's such a fundamental feature, Houdini's Polybridge and Polyfill and many other tools all have this match curvature feature, but why Polysplit doesn't?
66 posts
I know it's frustrating. Modeling tools are still not 100% where we would all like them to be. You can file RFE's and wait for the fixes to get in or you can just buy DM and get on with your work.
1265 posts
I submitted a RFE (#93192) almost 5 years ago to get "Edge Flow" or "Split Edge Continuity" included in PolySplit and PolyDraw.
5 years later and still nothing.
It's such a simple but important feature.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
471 posts
If someone interested, here is an experimental file adding simple edge flow by using tangents of neighbour points and bspline (bezier) interpolation.

Attachments:
edge_flow_simple.hipnc (174.1 KB)

76 posts
They've updated some modeling tools a few versions prior, but they've winged it and deemed them good enough. Only bevel and extrude went through a few iterations, but the rest stayed the same.

As others have said, a "preserve curvature" is a long time filed RFE which didn't see the light, as many other modeling improvements.

Not sure whether SideFX is aware of the modeling shortcomings and doesn't have the manpower to address them because every subcategory is under outside pressure to get better, or thinks everything's fine, it's just that people don't invest enough time into adapting to the workflow/tools. I hope it's the former, because I've seen people around here saying that Houdini is on par with other 3d packages, but some don't make the effort to adapt or something.

I don't think H20 is going to be any different in terms of modeling, which is fine by me - I've forgone the idea of ever using Houdini as a modeling tool. I hope it's going to be better at some other things they've explicitly committed to: making kinefx rigging a bit more user friendly and rendering workflow.
Edited by citizen - Sept. 14, 2023 18:59:28
64 posts
Edge Flow HDA from my toolkit

Attachments:
edge_flow_bb.hda (10.1 KB)

alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links