Iris like fiber clusters

5173   15   4
38 posts
Hi dear Houdini Masters,

I'm kind of new to Houdini, for about 4 months, and coming from Blender & C4D, I'm really amazed with the possibilities of the soft.

That being said, I'm searching since a few weeks for a solution to make a specific shape of fibers heap, or clusters, as it can be found in an iris, aka the colarettes and the radial furrows.

Actually, describing it is kind of tricky, so if we take these pictures :

My idea was to create two layers of fibers :
  • The first (bottom one), is made from a line/copy to points of a circle, and applying some noise individually to each copied line, through a for each loop, allowing me to randomize the noise on each unique fiber :

• The second layer, that I can't manage how to do, should be on the top, and should make these kind of clusters that I talked about, more or less the red surface on the next image (colarettes & radial furrows) :

I don't know how to do this second top layer, and I've tried (and desperately failed!) all the solutions I could imagine :
- via a volume, with noise, and a volume trail
- via a popnet, where particles are emitted from my center circle, along normals pointed away, and with a pop collision detect attached to a sphere. But while my particles slide around the sphere, the trails don't end up with the desired shape, at the exit of the sphere
- via find shortest path sop, with hole on my initial geometry, but doesn't work neither…

My feeling is that the particle solution could be the best, but don't really know how.

I'm kind of stuck here, I'm sure because of my software's knowledge limitations, as I'm new to H, and thought maybe you could give me some directions to do this (even if they are different from my initial setup)…

Thx in advance (and sorry for my possible mistakes, english isn't my mother language).

J

Attachments:
iris.png (316.0 KB)
tumblr_lnwyfqip2B1qlwxxfo1_500.jpg (56.7 KB)
custobottom_layer.png (154.8 KB)
top_layer.png (296.3 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
long but worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMJ6z2L8Owk [www.youtube.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
38 posts
Thx @goldfarb, actually I've already seen this video (I think I've almost saw every iris related avalaible content on the whole internet , as I have very actively searched for a solution on youtube, Vimeo, oddforce and here, since a certain amount of time !)

My main problem is not to produce the fibers themselves or to noisify them -that I called the first layer, in my op, actually I've briefly described how I've already did it-, but really the specific shapes that I underline in red on the images I posted, the kind of fibers heaps, on what I call the above layer. This video shows how to make iris fibers through volumes, but not to the specific shapes I'm trying to obtain.

I stay open to any leads or advises !
Staff
3455 posts
you can try a fuse SOP…
here is something I was playing with last year…

Attachments:
iris_wip.hip (290.6 KB)

Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
38 posts
Thanks a lot, this produce very interesting shapes, in a very simple & elegant way, I will play with that !

As I'm eager to learn, may I ask one thing I don't undestand in your setup ? How do the top nodes of your network work ? Especially the locked null, it's as if it contained some points, that are then grouped by the bounding torus. But I don't understand how a null can produce points ?

However, I've the feeling that the colarettes of an eye produce some “holes” in the fibers configuration, in a way that feels more organic.

I've tried to setup something with a popnet, to approach that organic feeling. I'm not convinced yet, not exactly the final form, but maybe there's a lead here…

Edited by frBorges34 - July 5, 2019 11:08:31

Attachments:
Sans titre.png (107.6 KB)

142 posts
I posted on odforce file with endless possibility
—————————————————
https://forums.odforce.net/topic/41279-nature-fun/?page=2 [forums.odforce.net]

Attachments:
014447.jpg (469.9 KB)

38 posts
Hi srletak76, Thanks. That's fun, because I discovered your file on oddforce about 2 or 3days ago, and played with it quite a bit.
For now, I still can't really get the famous shape I'm looking for, even with your file !
Staff
3455 posts
frBorges34
Especially the locked null, it's as if it contained some points, that are then grouped by the bounding torus. But I don't understand how a null can produce points ?

the null is just the locked result of other nodes - they are just a basic implementation of the Horikawa video
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
142 posts
@frBorges34
play with Leaf and point vop ( or just copy stamp circle).. easily you can make…noise its answer.just have fun
You gonna discover fine shapes .
38 posts
@srletak76 All right thanks for your advice !

edit : can I ask you what you mean by “Leaf” ?
Edited by frBorges34 - July 13, 2019 08:14:47
28 posts
This is my attempt for an iris effect.
I can post the hip file if someone is interested.

Attachments:
IrisTestResize.jpg (532.0 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
oh lovely - yes please!
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
28 posts
I cleaned the scene and made it a bit more readable.

Attachments:
iristest_v002.hip (3.2 MB)

Staff
3455 posts
@arjanM thanks!
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
160 posts
Beautiful @arjanM! Really impressed.

Here is a result I got from it.
Edited by AslakKS - July 16, 2019 20:08:56

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2019-07-17 02-04-11.png (1.5 MB)
iristest_v003.hiplc (3.2 MB)

38 posts
arjanM
I cleaned the scene and made it a bit more readable.
Thx a lot !
  • Quick Links