Builder Generator Corner Holes

2499   5   0
3 posts
Does anyone know why the holes in the corners are obtained? I have already tried a lot to make them fit perfectly, but all in vain! (
Your text to link here… [drive.google.com]

Project files
Your text to link here… [drive.google.com]
Edited by EvgenyGrechishkin - April 9, 2020 14:28:28
555 posts
if you look carefully at your corner modules, in transform1 and 2, you move the same edge forward and then backward, this is wrong, it would make one slab shorter than the other.

this is easiest seen in top view, just switch back and forth between transform1 and 2 and you'll
see the difference in length

rather you should move the edge on the other side the same distance/direction.

This may affect you mirroring down the line so doublecheck on this after you've made the changes.
Edited by vusta - April 9, 2020 18:20:13
3 posts
Thank you for the answer, but in my transforms 1 and 2 the bypass is turned on and they have no effect, in principle they can be removed altogether they remained after my experiments, I am inclined to think that the corners in the generator do not work correctly or do not work at all, initially I did this article
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/building-generator/ [www.sidefx.com]

but what is described there doesn’t work correctly and it seems that everything seems to work for the author, but if you download an example from this article, you see that even the author himself didn’t do as he describes the process in the article, then I tried to repeat what works the author in the example has an intersection inside the corner, but this did not work as expected.

Can anyone make an example with beautiful corners?

I've been trying to make the right corners for many weeks, but all attempts are futile
555 posts
well you'll have to check your logic somewhere else because your dimensions of the corner slabs
affect the connecting walls.

do this test, after your transform2, add a transform and scale up/down in the z axis, you'll see immediately it pushes/pulls the connecting walls accordingly, so you have to make sure the corner slabs are done/aligned correctly so the connecting walls can match up.

No I'm not going to go thru the file, in the article, down near the bottom, he stresses the importance of alignment:

Look a little closer, there’s some gaps, why? It’s because I’ve been a little sloppy with the module alignment, the corner at the origin should match up between all 3 modules. I’ve used the axis align sop to push the max-X value to the origin, but these 3 modules have different ledges, so they get shifted to different depths. A transform sop for each module will fix this (make sure to apply this before the utility sop!):

So you'd have to do the same and be careful with symmetrical size and correct alignment.
3 posts
Please can you give an hip example of how the correct angles should look? I can’t understand, I’ve tried dozens of options. Transforms have nothing to do with it; I have already removed them from my example.
77 posts
Building Generator SOP is not so difficult to build, and I think it is a “less usable” SOP.
SideFX Labs should make some basal SOPs for procedural modeling but not a comprehensive SOP.

Here is the rough flow diagram of Building Generator SOP, hope you like it
Edited by zengchen - April 10, 2020 11:59:20

Attachments:
--updated.png (298.6 KB)

My Youtube Channel [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links