Crash on Linux

8077   17   2
30 posts
Hello!
I understand that my laptop is not good for that, but…
I used to use Houdini Apprentice on Ubuntu and Linux Mint 18 and recently decided to upgrade to something newer. Tried Pop_OS 20 but Houdini crashes when connect second input SOP Vellum Solver with open Scene Viewer (or Vellum Solver in DOP). Also on Ubuntu 20.04 and Fedora 32. I suspect that the problem is in the new mesa driver, as on older versions there was an error when using SOP Vellum Solver, but Houdini allowed it to work.
I'm not very good at Linux, Synaptic allows to roll back the mesa version only to 20.0.4, installing OpenCL and switching between GPU and CPU usage - don't help and I don't know what to do next. Has anyone encountered such a problem and how to fix it? Or return to old versions and block updates?

Windows version works correctly except for a few errors in the Intel driver, but High Quality Lighting does not work there.

My Laptop ThinkPad e490: Intel i5 8265u, Intel UHD 620, 16 GB

Temp log:
Crash report from prntscrn; Houdini FX Version 18.0.530
Uptime 36 seconds
Fri Jul 24 12:32:22 2020
Caught signal 11

Traceback from 2863 ThreadId=0x7ff7be654c80
AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler:perator()(int, siginfo_t*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo_t*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
__funlockfile <libpthread.so.0>

Thanks for your attention!
13 posts
Hi

This sounds very much like the issue I was having.

Long version [bbs.archlinux.org]

Short version - try adding this line to your houdini.env file

MESA_LOADER_DRIVER_OVERRIDE=i965

If it is the same issue, I've tried to warn SideFX support about it, but they aren't very interested. I get the impression that no one manning the support desk has ever used Linux. This issue (again, if it's the same one) will affect all Linux distros as their kernel versions switch to use the newer driver by default.
Edited by uHaughtyGrayAlien - July 24, 2020 10:43:58
30 posts
Thanks for the answer, it looks really similar, but correct houdini.env didn't work for me.
I found how to solve this problem by installing beignet openCL driver for intel.

Install OpenCL development files:
$ sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

And install beignet:
$ sudo apt install beignet

or:
$ sudo apt install beignet-opencl-icd
for new version.

It added Intel(R) UHD Graphics Coffee Lake Mobile GT2 for GPU OpenCL device and it works.
I try it for clean install Pop_OS 20 and I think it will help for any Debian based distributives.
May be it helps for some one else.
30 posts
I have found a new problem. Again crash, again Linux!
Crashes when selecting an image in the File node COP context by button “Choose image”. If I type path by hand - it works OK
Same laptop: i8265u, Intal UHD 620, 16 GB, Pop_OS 20.04
Other File node works OK sort of (checked File SOP)

I will be glad for any help

tmp file:

Crash report from prntscrn; Houdini FX Version 18.0.530
Uptime 269 seconds
Wed Jul 29 19:39:05 2020
Caught signal 11

Traceback from 340413 ThreadId=0x7fb52af60c80
AP_Interface::coreDumpChaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
AP_Interface::si_CrashHandler::chaser(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUI.so>
signalCallback(UTsignalHandlerArg) <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::UT_ComboSignalHandler:perator()(int, siginfo_t*, void*) const <libHoudiniUT.so>
UT_Signal::processSignal(int, siginfo_t*, void*) <libHoudiniUT.so>
__funlockfile <libpthread.so.0>
nouveau_drm_screen_create <iris_dri.so>
nouveau_drm_screen_create <iris_dri.so>
__driDriverGetExtensions_zink <iris_dri.so>
RE_RenderFlush::draw(RE_Render*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
RE_RenderFlush::flush(bool) <libHoudiniUI.so>
RE_OGLRender::blendAlpha(int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
RE_IconTextureCache::renderTexture(RE_Render*, int, int, int, int, RE_OGLTexture*, float, float) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Icon::render(RE_Render*, int, int, int, int, void*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_IconButtonLook::renderIcon(RE_Render*, UT_Rect<UT_InclusiveRectImpl> const&, void*, int, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_IconButtonLook::renderFlatButton(RE_Render*, int, int, int, int, void*, UI_LookState) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_IconButtonLook::render(RE_Render*, int, int, int, int, void*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Feel::doRender(RE_Render*, int, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_HelpFeel::doRender(RE_Render*, int, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_TriggerButton::doRender(RE_Render*, int, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Feel::renderMe(RE_Render*, int, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Feel::doRenderKids(RE_Render*, int, int) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Viewport::reRender(RE_Render*, bool) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Window::renderChildViews(RE_Render*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Window::doRedrawSubclass() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Window::doRedraw() <libHoudiniUI.so>
QT_GeneratorThread::doImmediateRedraw_(QWidget*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
QT_GeneratorThread::handleQtWidgetEvent(QWidget*, QEvent*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
qt_EventFilter::eventFilter(QObject*, QEvent*) <libHoudiniUI.so>
QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendThroughApplicationEventFilters(QObject*, QEvent*) <libQt5Core.so.5>
QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) <libQt5Widgets.so.5>
QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) <libQt5Widgets.so.5>
QCoreApplication::notifyInternal2(QObject*, QEvent*) <libQt5Core.so.5>
QApplication::setActiveWindow(QWidget*) <libQt5Widgets.so.5>
QApplicationPrivate::notifyActiveWindowChange(QWindow*) <libQt5Widgets.so.5>
QGuiApplicationPrivate::processActivatedEvent(QWindowSystemInterfacePrivate::ActivatedWindowEvent*) <libQt5Gui.so.5>
QGuiApplicationPrivate::processWindowSystemEvent(QWindowSystemInterfacePrivate::WindowSystemEvent*) <libQt5Gui.so.5>
QWindowSystemInterface::sendWindowSystemEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop:rocessEventsFlag>) <libQt5Gui.so.5>
QXcbNativeInterface::dumpNativeWindows(unsigned long long) const <libQt5XcbQpa.so.5>
QT_GeneratorThread::rawEventsWaiting() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_GeneratorThread::eventsPending() <libHoudiniUI.so>
QT_EventGenerator::eventsWaiting() <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::pollGenerators(bool) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::generateEvents(bool, bool) <libHoudiniUI.so>
UI_Queue::eventLoop() <libHoudiniUI.so>
main <libHoudiniUI.so>
__libc_start_main <libc.so.6>
main <happrentice-bin>

Attachments:
Houdini_crash.png (299.4 KB)

636 posts
Create a bug report:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/25347/ [www.sidefx.com]

If the hardware is below the system requirements then it gets tricky.

https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by mandrake0 - July 29, 2020 13:05:15
13 posts
mandrake0
If the hardware is below the system requirements then it gets tricky.

And if it's not, don't let support try and tell you that it is.

I've been told by support that my hardware didn't meet the minimum requirements when they couldn't find another solution for my problem. I had to point out that yes it does.

They use it as a quick out to avoid having to deal with the problem (especially with Intel graphics, it's like an automatic response).
30 posts
Yes, I got same answer that my system below the system requirements. I tried to say that near me is my old laptop Samsung 530u (Intel 2377m and Intel HD Graphics 3000) with Linux Mint 19 and it works OK, I have installed Houdini 18 - it works! everything exclude Karma Render (because it needs more than OpenGL 3.3 probably) and it does not crash.
I am a little embarrassed to ask for help for myself because I am not a client who makes profit for Side FX, I only use the Apprentice version and only as a hobby to entertain myself (maybe a little advertising for Houdini when I publish something) so I had to agree that my computers are not suitable for all this. I'm a little upset and do not know what I need to do now.
May be I will install Mint again and try my luck there or will ask about it on Linux Forums, in any case I will let you know if I have any success
30 posts
What I got.
Ubuntu 20.04 and Linux Mint 20 without any updating (with installed Beignet only) - all work, no crash (Vellum Solver - OK, File node COP - OK) But I didn't check anything else.
Problem is the mesa driver, for Pop!-OS 20.04 mesa driver is 20.0.8 ver. by default. Ubuntu 20.04 and LM 20 - mesa 20.0.4 - by default.
How to downgrade mesa driver in Pop!-OS I do not know, I tried to use Synaptic for this but it does not work. For Ubuntu and LM you can just lock update for all mesa packages by Synaptic and it works for my laptop.

I would be very happy if someone can tell how to deal with the driver in Pop!_OS.
30 posts
After some updates to the mesa driver, I was able to work fine with COP cotnext using the uHaughtyGrayAlien method using i965 instead of iris, but now I get a crash when opening a LOP context. I contacted support for the mesa driver, sent the logs and everything else that was needed, all correspondence and files are available here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3569 [gitlab.freedesktop.org]

According to the driver developer there is a problem in the application itself:
“A shader program fails to link, after this there are quite a lot of API errors in the trace. Link error with shader happens because a function is defined multiple times. Eventually this leads to a driver crash because application ignores the linker error.
Bug is seen with 2 functions, applyGamma() and applyLUT(). Application attempts to link shader program that has multiple implementations of these (as ‘passthrough’ version and ‘regular’ version). GLSL language supports function overloading but only with different set of parameters, IMO this is application bug.”

Сan this help solve the problem?
34 posts
Since upgrading my laptop earlier this year to a dell g7, with an intel/nvidia combo card. , i have been getting a signal 11 error very similar to your reply here [www.sidefx.com] when ever i jump into a solaris context.

Every so often i would give this another try, thanks for making this thread, i have hit it a bunch of times trying to solve this.
So i kind of gave up on using linux for the last few months on my laptop with houdini.

This morning it occurred to me that most of the time on my linux machine it was opening all of my applications with the primary gpu, which is the intel card, running glx info confirms this, that its using the mesa drivers with the intel card i have.
So i started looking for how to force an application to use a particular gpu and i came across this [github.com].

I figured why not try:
__GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 glxinfo 

This returns now that glxinfo is using my nvidia card, which is great news.
So i then ran:
__GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 houdini 

This allows houdini to load, i can open a solaris context build out networks and render stuff with karma no issues.

I tried opening the file browser in a file cop, and it doesn't crash, so hopefully this will work for you to.

Cheers
kym
238 posts
just try this. open houdini. set it to manual. make your vellum setup and disable opencl graph coloring in the advance tab.
get back to auto update and see if it works.

it might be that something else in sops is working with opencl as this pretty widespread these days. which is a good thing.

you can also switch the opencl device to cpu in the houdini preferences under miscellaneous.

Houdini is just a very gpu demanding beast tough
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
30 posts
Thank you Kym!

Unfortunately, in my case, there is no discrete graphics card, only Intel. My laptop is not that old, but every Mesa update makes Houdini work worse (Ubuntu 21.10 Mesa 21.2 Houdini doesn't even start) and it's not clear what to do about it. I tried to tell the Mesa developers about the problem, but they came to the conclusion that the problem is in Houdini (although it is not clear why then everything worked on older versions?).

And now I have some kind of circle of dependencies - I cannot use new Linux distributions because Houdini does not work, and I cannot use old ones because many other programs in use require updating Mesa to the newest available version.

With Windows, the situation is no better - I have very frequent BSODs (about 1 - 3 times a day), presumably due to NVME drive (in Linux, the same configuration works very stably) and impermissibly slow work (even every start of Houdini takes about 30 - 45 seconds , on Linux, starting Houdini even after a reboot is no longer than 10-15 seconds, delays when calling nodes and updating parameters, and so on with everything else in operation).

And I don't know what to do. Yes, I have a powerful work computer on which I do almost all the work, but even there not everything works well. I often find it much more convenient to start my laptop and check how some new idea or algorithm works, but with Windows I get a lot of annoyance when working with this operating system, and for Linux, problems with Mesa! :S

I'm already thinking about buying a new laptop, but there is no guarantee that everything will work as it should (and I cannot overpay for productive configurations with a dedicated video card, although in such cases you can get a lot of problems with drivers on Linux - and unacceptably slow work Windows)
Edited by PrintScreen - Oct. 28, 2021 12:09:53
13 posts
In the end, I asked for a refund of my Houdini Indie licence, and I went back to Blender.

I try Houdini now and again to see if anything has changed. I tried Houdini 19 today, and it was the same crash immediately on start-up. This is despite me using a Debian based Linux distro and my Intel Iris Plus supposedly meeting the SideFX minimum stated specifications. [www.sidefx.com]

I just don't understand. Do they not test Houdini on the systems it claims to be compatible with?

PrintScreen
And I don't know what to do. Yes, I have a powerful work computer on which I do almost all the work, but even there not everything works well. I often find it much more convenient to start my laptop and check how some new idea or algorithm works, but with Windows I get a lot of annoyance when working with this operating system, and for Linux, problems with Mesa! :S

Same. I have a desktop with an Nvidia card, but I do a lot of "messing around" and preliminary experimentation on my laptop first.
Edited by uHaughtyGrayAlien - Nov. 5, 2021 10:32:24
250 posts
I just installed Linux Mint 20 for testing H19, and it started flawlessly, I rendered a test scene and it went crazy fast compared to Windows 10 Workstation on my AMD 8 cores workstation with a GTX 1650!

CPU:
Linux 20:54
Windows 55:07

XPU:
Linux 09:34
Windows 10:49

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2021-11-05 10-27-59.png (1.7 MB)
Screenshot from 2021-11-05 10-37-56.png (1.4 MB)

13 posts
GCharb
I just installed Linux Mint 20 for testing H19, and it started flawlessly,

Interesting. Intel graphics though?
250 posts
uHaughtyGrayAlien
GCharb
I just installed Linux Mint 20 for testing H19, and it started flawlessly,

Interesting. Intel graphics though?
Like I said, GTX 1650, fresh install with Nvidia 4.70.74 drivers
13 posts
GCharb
Like I said, GTX 1650, fresh install with Nvidia 4.70.74 drivers

Ah. The problems experienced by myself and the OP in this thread are about Linux + Intel graphics. Nvidia isn't the problem.
Edited by uHaughtyGrayAlien - Nov. 5, 2021 11:23:21
250 posts
uHaughtyGrayAlien
Ah. The problems experienced by myself and the OP in this thread are about Linux + Intel graphics. Nvidia isn't the problem.
Ohhh, my bad, carry on then!
  • Quick Links