GLTF Exporter

4539   14   4
20 posts
We're team of two working on a WebGL based scene with ThreeJS, interested in improving the current state of web graphics and contributing to open source tools. We decided to use GLTF as our primary transfer format from Houdini to ThreeJS. So far it's been working well for materials and geometry. We also used custom geometry attributes such as pscale to drive instancing in ThreeJS.

However, a few things aren't working, specifically

• Point clouds are not exported (I have to create triangles instead of points for instancing)
  • Opacity maps are not exported
  • Cameras and lights are not exported

I know lights are not in the main specs but ThreeJS supports it through KHR_lights extension.

Does anyone have tips or workflow for working with Houdini, GLTF, ThreeJS?
Are there any plans to implement these features in the following releases?
Is there any way that I can enhance the current Houdini GLTF exporter?
Edited by kif11 - March 2, 2019 09:23:32
Staff
3455 posts
You can submit RFE's for things you think would be useful in the GLTF exporter
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
32 posts
I'm also building a glTF-based workflow. It would be very handy if SideFx had a document explaining what glTF features are implemented for import and export and what ones aren't, in each Houdini version. Right now I'm just trying things and submitting RFEs as I discover things.
* lights
* cameras
* animations (splines?)(especially rotations which are harder)
* material types
* bones
etc.
(for each of above, does it import it, and can it export it)
1 posts
Hi,

I am also investigating possibilities for using Houdini as my primary scene editor for a three.js/web based project using GLTF.

Do you know if the GLTF Exporter is available in Houdini Indie?
When I try to use it in Apprentice it says only available in Houdini Core & FX.

Could one of you fine folks clarify if its available in Houdini Indie!?

Cheers,

Jamie
7 posts
Hey could we have an answer on this? Is glTF export available with an Indie License?

Thanks!
61 posts
You can export glTF with Houdini Indie.

Bear in mind that there are some limitations in Houdini's implementation; last I checked, support for animation wasn't developed yet.
24 posts
I've been trying to get an Opacity map to work in a GLB export for the last few hours without luck. Tried both in both H18 and H19.

Anyone else get this to work or is it not implemented?

Thanks!
Morgan
20 posts
invinciblerobot
I've been trying to get an Opacity map to work in a GLB export for the last few hours without luck. Tried both in both H18 and H19.

Thanks!
Morgan

Sadly this is still not implemented as well as GLTF animation. I had hope for H19 but looks like it is not there.
1625 posts
kif11
as well as GLTF animation.

You may need to specify what you mean by "GLTF animation". Because exporting animation to gltf is now supported (regular channel data, also bone animations etc).
If there's something that's not working for you, post it and file a bug report, because it should.
Edited by protozoan - Dec. 8, 2021 04:37:43
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
24 posts
kif11
invinciblerobot

Thanks!
Morgan

Sadly this is still not implemented as well as GLTF animation. I had hope for H19 but looks like it is not there.

Too bad about the Opacity, but I was able to export animation with the GLTF_Character ROP.
1742 posts
invinciblerobot

Did you try the render settings for gltf to control opacity?

Top of this list: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/props/material.html [www.sidefx.com]
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
24 posts
mestela
Did you try the render settings for gltf to control opacity?

I did. I've only tried it with the textures I'm using in my project. I need to just test it with a cleaner setup to be sure something I'm doing isn't breaking it somehow.
24 posts
No luck. I can't get Opacity to work at all in a GLB export. I've added the extra Render properties and tried using texture maps or just values without any success. It appears to be working in the houdini viewport but not when I drop it into the babylonjs viewer.
1742 posts
My mistake, I should've clarified that the gltf properties go on the material, not the object.
Edited by mestela - Dec. 9, 2021 14:24:49

Attachments:
gltf_opacity.PNG (242.1 KB)
gltf_opacity.hip (491.9 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
24 posts
Figured this out with help from Matt!
The deal appears to be that the opacity only works when it's driven by the Alpha Channel in the Base Color Texture. With only a texture in the Opacity channel and nothing in Base Color it doesn't work (even if the opacity texture has an alpha). You don't need any texture in the Opacity channel at all.
  • Quick Links