Houdini 20 will be unveiled (not released) on October 26

26225   128   5
250 posts
EdganHomt
Not sure if you live in 2013 but blender is rocking right now, so you are completely wrong, the best one can do is use both to their fullest and balance their weaknesses.
Everything I said about Blender's limitations is true, it can't handle large scenes, and it is not a functional software, heck, it still lacks over a hundred FBX functionalities, even after 13 years of FBX integration, USD is a joke in Blender 4.x, even after 4 years of FBX integration, you still can't import a basic USD scene properly, and the list goes on, so, you are free to kid yourself into believing that Blender rocks, it doesn't, not in my humble opinion at least!
444 posts
Remember this person's logic is that Blender has many plugins so it must be bad.
250 posts
raincole
Remember this person's logic is that Blender has many plugins so it must be bad.
The logic here is that Blender is not functional, so much so that it created an enormous market for plugins, plugins exists to compensate for missing functionalities, like I said, there are more plugins for Blender than for all the other DCCs put together, because Blender is not a functional software, it is a bunch of half-baked tools stacked on top of a bunch of half-baked tools stacked on top of a bunch of half-baked tools!

Every time there is a new Blender release, hundreds of new plugins are added to the Blender Market, as we speak, only in the Scripts and Add-ons section of the Blender Market, there are 2095 add-ons, which is huge and reflects how bad Blender truly is!
Edited by GCharb - Oct. 27, 2023 09:05:39
248 posts
when a person insists there is no shading network in Houdini, what is the point of holding any reasonable conversation about functionalities of DCCs?

lost cause
just move on. let haters hate b3d on the basis of "it has many addons". whatever
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
2041 posts
GCharb
Every time there is a new Blender release, hundreds of new plugins are added to the Blender Market, as we speak, only in the Scripts and Add-ons section of the Blender Market, there are 2095 add-ons, which is huge and reflects how bad Blender truly is!

Does that really make Blender 'bad' ?

I constantly make tools in Houdini(assets), because there just isn't the right tool that functions and does things the way I want.
Which is good and why I like Houdini - It let's me do that.

It's been a long time since I've used Blender - But if Blender let's me use add-ons or make my own - Just like/similar to Houdini, I would consider that a good thing - At least it let's me do that.

I would think in either case (Blender, Houdini or any other program) - It's not about the add-on/asset per se but how efficient and/or easy is it to create and implement. To me that is what would be the prime consideration to distinguish betwee a 'bad' and 'good' program.
Edited by BabaJ - Oct. 27, 2023 09:25:19
7 posts
GCharb

This is the dumbest thing I've read all week.
85 posts
anyone here using amdgpu in linux?
i know that most of the users here using nvidia BUT anyone using amdgpu in linux?
does sidefx going to support AMD open source drivers? because the closed drivers are garbage (in opengl)
250 posts
osong
when a person insists there is no shading network in Houdini, what is the point of holding any reasonable conversation about functionalities of DCCs?

lost cause
just move on. let haters hate b3d on the basis of "it has many addons". whatever
You are bing dishonest here, I didn't say that there is no shading network in Houdini, what I said is that most users don't use it, from what I see they mostly use the shading nodes.

And the fact remains, there are more plugins for Blender than all the other DCCs put together, because Blender is missing a ton of functionalities, very little plugins in Houdini, because Houdini is a functional software, put your head in the sand as much as you want, it won't change that fact!
102 posts
A lot of plugins in the blender are explained by the ease of creating and installing them. I put three addons in Houdini and I'm tired. Files, folders, variables, write correctly inside and copy correctly, and if you make a mistake where something doesn't work. It's inconvenient. And people avoid the inconvenient. In the blender I have many dozens of plugins for different cases and it's fast and convenient. Two clicks and you're done. Plus a great asset browser. Do I dream of seeing this in Houdini ? Oh yeah.
250 posts
HGaal
A lot of plugins in the blender are explained by the ease of creating and installing them. I put three addons in Houdini and I'm tired. Files, folders, variables, write correctly inside and copy correctly, and if you make a mistake where something doesn't work. It's inconvenient. And people avoid the inconvenient. In the blender I have many dozens of plugins for different cases and it's fast and convenient. Two clicks and you're done. Plus a great asset browser. Do I dream of seeing this in Houdini ? Oh yeah.
It has nothing to do with the ease of installing plugins in Blender, plugins exists to compensate a lack of functionalities, there are literally thousands of plugins for Blender, free, and non-free, these would simply not exist if Blender didn't lack so many functionalities.

Knowing SideFX, if Houdini needed that many plugins, as Blender does, they would streamline the process of installing them.

It always makes me smile when I see how far Blender users are willing to go to hide the shortcomings of their preferred software!
Edited by GCharb - Oct. 27, 2023 10:15:21
248 posts
this is factually incorrect, you literally wrote "there is no shading network like in Blender" and i quoted that. calling me dishonest is beyond my ability to take your contribution to discussion seriously

FYI, many studios develop their own solutions based on Houdini (one of the big ones that were announced was a whole new simulation package of additions by WETA, WetaH), as well as Unity, and UE. This does not make Houdini, nor any of those engines any less functional: it just lacked functions that were needed for production. Or are we going to have double standards now?

WetaH video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8XQgSfZH8 [www.youtube.com]

Attachments:
i cant even.jpg (166.9 KB)

250 posts
And here is another quote of mine...

GCharb
We're talking about textures here, and those are usually assigned inside the shader nodes, not in a network, but you could use them in a network if you wanted, I just don't see the use, so my guess is that your original complaint is about not being able to drag and drop textures in the VEX builder, is that it, and the old Principled shader works just fine in XPU here!
Edited by GCharb - Oct. 27, 2023 10:18:34
248 posts
this is a very poor taste comedy
i refuse to take part in this any longer
250 posts
osong
this is a very poor taste comedy
i refuse to take part in this any longer
Your opinion, not mine!

Again, everything I said about Blender is true, it cannot handle large scenes, it lacks a ton of functionalities, hence the ridiculous amount of plugins for it, the tools are ancient, and Blender never brought anything new to the 3D world, no innovations, not even once in over 20 years, all the BI does is try to catch up with other DCCs like Houdini, the only innovation in Blender is the Grease Pencil, and that's for 2D, not 3D!
Edited by GCharb - Oct. 27, 2023 10:56:04
48 posts
osong
this is factually incorrect, you literally wrote "there is no shading network like in Blender" and i quoted that. calling me dishonest is beyond my ability to take your contribution to discussion seriously
Image Not Found

FYI, many studios develop their own solutions based on Houdini (one of the big ones that were announced was a whole new simulation package of additions by WETA, WetaH), as well as Unity, and UE. This does not make Houdini, nor any of those engines any less functional: it just lacked functions that were needed for production. Or are we going to have double standards now?

WetaH video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8XQgSfZH8 [www.youtube.com]

Whatever happened to that WETA announcement? I don't even do FX work but I remember I was excited because at the time we were seeing a lot of similar announcements. I probably am wrong, but I don't think a lot of them got the traction needed...
250 posts
coccosoids
Whatever happened to that WETA announcement? I don't even do FX work but I remember I was excited because at the time we were seeing a lot of similar announcements. I probably am wrong, but I don't think a lot of them got the traction needed...
As far as I know these tools are only for Unity, since Unity bought Weta in 2021, here is the page for more information!

https://unity.com/solutions/unity-weta-tools [unity.com]
Edited by GCharb - Oct. 27, 2023 11:36:39
208 posts
Principled shader in XPU is such a weird hill to die on...
89 posts
I don't use Blender that much, and especially not for final scene assembly.

However I doubt the blender addons market success has anything to do with Blender "weakness", but mostly reflect the software popularity these days, and how viable it is for developers or coders from different level to make a bit of money from their work.

If you follow that logic Modo should be the perfect software, there is almost no addons for it !
Gameloft
250 posts
PaQ WaK
I don't use Blender that much, and especially not for final scene assembly.

However I doubt the blender addons market success has anything to do with Blender "weakness", but mostly reflect the software popularity these days, and how viable it is for developers or coders from different level to make a bit of money from their work.

If you follow that logic Modo should be the perfect software, there are almost no addons for it !
You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but that would not explain the proliferation of free Blender addons, and as I said, a plugin usually fills a need, like the 28$ plugin that adds more than a hundred FBX functionalities to Blender would not exist if Blender didn't lack more than a hundred FBX functionalities, there are more than 2000 addons that add functionalities to Blender on the Blender Market alone, these addons exists because those functionalities don't exist in Blender, if they did, those thousands of addons would not exist, don't you think? 🤔
89 posts
What is sad is that I had to use Blender to actually re-save .FBX because Houdini 19.5 wasn't able to read them properly (uv's were corrupted when loaded directly in Hou).

Sure there are addons like the one you mentioned that should be included natively, but I really doubt you need all the blender addons collection to successfully use that software. The artists I meet in my studio that use Blender (mostly for direct modeling, a bit of sculpting) don't use 1000 addons as far as I can tell ... maybe 2 or 3 of them to make the environment closest to the native one they used too (ex. 3DSmax/Maya users).

... I myself "have" to use Alexey Modeler for Hou to make poly modeling a bit easier, I'm pretty sure that guy would prefer the Blender Market, not because Hou sucks, but because it will help him to live from his work.
Edited by PaQ WaK - Oct. 27, 2023 14:47:39
Gameloft
  • Quick Links