Electra posing tutorial

2143   11   2
Staff
20 posts
Robert Magee has created a tutorial for posing Electra to get you started that can be found here:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/how-to-pose-and-animate-electra/ [www.sidefx.com]
1 posts
hey, messing around with this electra character and have couple of questions

1. is there a shortcut to cycle between aligment modes?

2. is there a way to change thickness of rig control helpers? they are quite big and cover a lot of screen

3. is there a way to hide / unhide controls? without deselecting sceneanimate1 node?

Attachments:
Zrzut ekranu 2023-11-09 093339.png (667.2 KB)

Staff
20 posts
Hey TomaszD

1- use ctrl+g and it brings up a hud to select alignments and some other options
2- I think they are built into the rig like that (use selection sets to hide if needed)
3- for displaying characters and controls, use the selection sets and you can set up sets that you want to hide/show
98 posts
Yes controls are definitely too thick "_
1 posts
warrenl
Hey TomaszD

1- use ctrl+g and it brings up a hud to select alignments and some other options
2- I think they are built into the rig like that (use selection sets to hide if needed)
3- for displaying characters and controls, use the selection sets and you can set up sets that you want to hide/show

I noticed that 'm' works outside of animation mode. Is there a way to hotkey changing alignment rather than the menu, similar to how the 'm' key works?

On that note is there a way to discover what function is being called and a method to then hotkey it? I've come from maya where 99% of the functions I use commonly are hotkeyed, and I doubt I'm alone in that!
47 posts
My Selection Sets tab only has the Folder+ and Change Set Color icons, it's lacking File Edit Manage Mirror View. How do I get those to show up? And agreed the controls are too thick.

edit.
Oh, strangely on the Mac they're up in the actual Menu Bar? That seems odd.
Edited by corestudio - Nov. 10, 2023 11:13:20
47 posts
Is it possible to use multiple scene animate nodes to layer animation?
11 posts
corestudio
Is it possible to use multiple scene animate nodes to layer animation?

i've tested this aproach, and it somehow works, but its so bugged (mostly due to viewport) and so annoying to use (switching display flags) that make its totally useless to even continue this way.

yes, i was looking for some kind of animation layers, but there is no single mention in official h20 presentations and noone talk abaout it in houdini hive, so i guess its not existing for now
11 posts
Mirko Jankovic
Yes controls are definitely too thick "_

well with a bit here and there u can make them looking somehow usefull

1. using own shape controls helps get rid of that fat thing
2. messing with parameters for viewer stage dialog (press P in viewport while scene animate node is active)

in my opinion, this should be the default display setup for everybody
Edited by sadaih - Nov. 10, 2023 17:07:22

Attachments:
hou_handles.png (1.2 MB)

1 posts
Re how to change control sizes - see the H20 Hive KineFX Animation video - Warren Leathem at 01:50
443 posts
jistpo
Re how to change control sizes - see the H20 Hive KineFX Animation video - Warren Leathem at 01:50

To save some time for people who read this: don't bother. The video doesn't show how to change the thickness of controls. It shows how to change the thickness and size of transform handles, which already is answered by sadaih.

In the daily build, controls are thinner. However it's bugged that you can't tell which controls are selected any more. So don't be too eager to upgrade to daily build.

Edited by raincole - Dec. 4, 2023 23:09:24

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-05 030615.png (920.2 KB)

Staff
61 posts
As of tomorrow's build the selection for controls that are pure wires should be more readable.
  • Quick Links