How do I uninstall houdini8.2.13 apprentice in ubuntu linux?

8080   8   3
6 posts
Hi,

I am very new to linux and houdini as well. I want to install the new houdini 9 beta on linux but first I believe that I should uninstall the previous version. How exactly do I do that properly? Sorry for my ignorance.

joes.
1390 posts
jspataro
…I believe that I should uninstall the previous version.

You don't . Houdini's versions can coexists together.

cheers,
sy.
4140 posts
Unlike Windows, Linux Houdini is extremely self-contained. As long as you select the default installation directory and don't bother re-installing the license server every time, it will only write to that location(/opt/hfs.x.x.x). One of the wonderful advantages of not having a registry.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7737 posts
Actually, it works fine with multiple installed versions on Windows too. With each build, the default install directory includes the full build version and so is different. One can happily click on Next until everything is installed.
4140 posts
I guess I was referring to *uninstalling* on windows, and the lack of a registry trail.

J.C.
John Coldrick
330 posts
the only issue you might face is that the H8 license server will not serve licenses to H9, but it works the other way so you always need the latest versions license server (sesinetd). under suse 10.2 i found H9 did not replace the license server automatically, not sure why, it has been fine in the past with previous versions.

if it works then dont worry but if you cant install a license run hkey before houdini and check the license server details.
87 posts
I would like the question answered. I am trying to uninstall it to make room and I have to be super user to do it and I am having a bit of trouble with it.
519 posts
rm -rf /opt/hfsx.xx.xx
87 posts
Pagefan
rm -rf /opt/hfsx.xx.xx
thank you.
  • Quick Links