New dynamics video tutorials,

8941   13   3
1145 posts
Hi,

There's a new set of video tutorials on the way.
The first set are already up on the Learning/Tutorial page.
Two videos showing how to setup a simple dynamic avalanche.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
4140 posts
Coolio. Just a heads up the publish date for the avalanche tute is Aug 8/2008…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
401 posts
Thanks!
This one looks cold.
this is not a science fair.
Staff
4164 posts
This is awesome! Thanks!

I wish the download didn't take so long, though. Oh well. No worries.

Can't wait to start making more video tutorials once Houdini is available on the Mac, as there are more screen recording apps for less money than on either Windows or Linux.
I'm o.d.d.
1145 posts
I do all my work on Ubuntu linux using gtk-RecordMyDesktop. $0, can't beat the price.
Staff
4164 posts
Wow! I hadn't found one that worked, and I just realized that you're used it in the tutorials. I thought it was done under Windows with Camtasia. That's great to know.
I'm o.d.d.
1145 posts
Yes, RecordMyDesktop works just like Camtasia. Doing the screen capture then the encoding as a separate pass.
The “limitation” of Record… is that it records to .ogm format. Which is a good format, but not widely enough distributed. So, I convert to .avi format.
I use AlltoAvi for that, a really great command line tool.

Keith at Sesi converts to .mov files for the website.
519 posts
Well I am glad Mr. P.Robbins finally did some constructive work. His intervention in the Hypnotoad thread wasn't a success. Guess a thank you for this new tutorial is in place.

edit:OMG, an avalanche….now i can previsualize the damage i'll do when i go snowboarding!!! Cool.
1145 posts
:evil:
1390 posts
Pagefan
Well I am glad Mr. P.Robbins finally did some constructive work(…)

Destructive rather…
454 posts
One of the reasons people are generally very civil on these forums is that people want to get paid to do what they love. As a Houdini user, many of the people you might work with (or their friends) are here. That includes many of the people who make the hiring decisions for companies that use Houdini. There are only a finite number of places in the world where you can work in this industry. You can seriously smoke years of career development or permanently remove great opportunities for the rest of your life with a few poorly chosen words. It's good to think about that. Express it in terms of a large amount of whatever currency is of most value to you. From that point it's hard to come up with intelligent reasons to justify pouring pollution into the pond - when so many stand by watching. You get what you give.
1390 posts
tstex
One of the reasons people are generally very civil on these forums is that people want to get paid to do what they love. As a Houdini user, many of the people you might work with (or their friends) are here. That includes many of the people who make the hiring decisions for companies that use Houdini. There are only a finite number of places in the world where you can work in this industry. You can seriously smoke years of career development or permanently remove great opportunities for the rest of your life with a few poorly chosen words. It's good to think about that. Express it in terms of a large amount of whatever currency is of most value to you. From that point it's hard to come up with intelligent reasons to justify pouring pollution into the pond - when so many stand by watching. You get what you give.

I'm not really sure if I understand what you're talking about… The message is clear I think, but are you referring this to my joke about destructiveness of avalanches? :shock: If so, sorry but this is misunderstanding. I just found it funny to call avalanche's tutorial constructive… maybe because I live in mountains Is it clear now?

Cheers!
Simon.
Edited by - April 7, 2008 13:40:36
454 posts
I wasn't responding to your post Symek. You're good.

After reading Pagefan's post, I went to what he was referring to in the Houdini on Mac thread. There was a discussion there about civility on the forums. I was tying that back into this thread.

Peter has done a lot of great work teaching and creating education material for Houdini. People need to be more careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegiality [en.wikipedia.org]
57 posts
If your under Windows the Windows Media Encoder does a good job with screen capture and is free.
  • Quick Links