H10 Promos and session files

17587   21   1
Staff
3455 posts
since H10 was released there has been a gradual buildup of all sorts of folks of various Houdini experience trying to reproduce some of the effects seen in the H10 promotional videos (ODE Donimoes, cloth/car, pyro) and having mixed results…

so (like every release in the past) I thought I'd ask SESI about the possibility of releasing these session files to the community as a learning resource - even if they are RnD/slightly broken/unsupported type files…

thanks
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
691 posts
I Agree with that.

That files will help us to understand more deeply the new great features of H10.

Thanks.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
Staff
4164 posts
Yes! Being able to learn from the scene files is one of Houdini's strengths, and having the scenes from the demos available would be fantastic.
I'm o.d.d.
156 posts
Yes, I agree as well. While it might be confusing for newer users they will be really helpful for more experienced users.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
1631 posts
Me five!
21 posts
Hi, I did the cloth ones- I'll look at bundling up some scenes and submitting them to the exchange. Let you know when they're up. If there are any questions about how I did them, ask away.
-Martin
Staff
3455 posts
thanks Martin…
I realize there are considerations for SESI beyond simply providing example files…but I've always thought that if this stuff is just lying around then why not?

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
Yeah for sure, though a lot of this stuff is reading all sorts of crazy cached sequences. What I'll do is make a simpler version of the car stuff so the workflow is demonstrated and the world scale + physical properties are the same. I'll see what else I can get together too so that people have a reference for material settings in cloth (ie rubber, cloth, metal, tissue paper etc).

There will be a technical evening coming up on cloth, so we'll publish the recordings of that too.
575 posts
Great.The prompdetail has so much detail in it. It will be very interesting to study the files

Martin
34 posts
Jepp!

Would like to see them too!
224 posts
I handed off my Fire and Smoke hips, they only need to be prepped for distribution but I'm sure they'll be available soon.

If anyone wants them now or just some tips on how to achieve a certain look, just drop me a message
Senior Technical Artist Guerrilla Games
5 posts
How are these coming along? I'm really interested in checking them out.
5 posts
Thank you!!
11 posts
good examples for all of us
77 posts
these last few posts suggest that the h10 examples ARE posted in the exchange somewhere…

would someone who knows post a link please.

i had a look, but had no luck.
5 posts
smaugthewyrm
these last few posts suggest that the h10 examples ARE posted in the exchange somewhere…

would someone who knows post a link please.

i had a look, but had no luck.

Sorry it's a fine line between spamming/organization.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1496&Itemid=305 [sidefx.com]
77 posts
wow! excellent! thank you!
152 posts
was just curious if the scene files have been posted?
152 posts
cklosters
I handed off my Fire and Smoke hips, they only need to be prepped for distribution but I'm sure they'll be available soon.

If anyone wants them now or just some tips on how to achieve a certain look, just drop me a message

hi i would really love it if i could get my hands on some of your scene files!

thanks,
Jonathan
257 posts
Not quite Houdini 10's promo videos, but perhaps some useful scene files that can help people using fluids & pyrotools:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=78862#78862 [sidefx.com]
Cg Supervisor | Effects Supervisor | Expert Technical Artist at Infinity Ward
https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-claes-10a4854/ [www.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links