Adding items to the menus?

4821   7   4
127 posts
Hi,
I was wondering where in the docs I have to look for documentation on how to add items to the File, Edit, etc. menu. Specifically I'd like to add a script to increment the filename for saving according to the scheme for that I'm using. I'd like to have Save, Save As and Save Incremental.

In XSI you have hooks for that in their self-installing-plugins architecture but I couldnt find something similar it in the houdini docs. I might very well have been looking in the wrong place so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Thank you,
Fabian
Staff
3455 posts
AFAIK you can't

but for incremental save:
Edit > Preferences > Saving Options
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
127 posts
Ah, that's annoying, I have a convention for file naming and the saving script I made for xsi enforces that convention since knowing myself I need to be forced to adhere to it, additionally it increments filenames Anyway I guess I'll make it a shelf tool or something then. At least it means I wasnt looking in the wrong places.

Thank you,
Fabian
1390 posts
Fabian
Ah, that's annoying, I have a convention for file naming and the saving script I made for xsi enforces that convention since knowing myself I need to be forced to adhere to it, additionally it increments filenames Anyway I guess I'll make it a shelf tool or something then. At least it means I wasnt looking in the wrong places.

Thank you,
Fabian

Please don't confuse two things here. Non-scriptable GUI and naming convention are different stories and as to my experience H .gives you much greater flexibility here than XSI.

Although scritpable GUI is something we all dream about
1192 posts
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini9.1/basics/config_menus [sidefx.com]
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
127 posts
SYmek: I want to change the gui to add my script to enforce naming conventions. Not confusing them, they just happen to be connected items. And I'm not going into any xsi vs hnd flexibility discussion, since its an apples and oranges thing i think. I love both apps for different reasons and they both can infuriate me for different reasons as well. Having knowledge of them both allows one to choose the path of least resistance for a given task However I'm always up for some max/maya bashing in case someone is interested :p

digitallysane: my hero although i would have thought to find this in the sdk section of the docs.

Thank you everyone for replying,
Fabian
581 posts
YesI also think more scripting in the ui will be great.
In the mean time maybe if you want to adapt you naming convention fo rthe autosave feature yo ucan use the next environment variable:
opteron11 sh015/h_015 > hconfig -h HOUDINI_AUTOSAVE_FILENAME
HOUDINI_AUTOSAVE_FILENAME
A template for the filename used for auto save file backups when the
“Numbered Backup” auto save option is set. Two variables are required:
$BASENAME, which will be replaced by the name of the file being saved
without its extension; and $N, which is replaced by the backup number.
$N can be followed by a single digit which is interpreted as the number
of digits to be used in the backup number; numbers with fewer digits than
this will be padded with zeroes. Default value is ‘$BASENAME_auto$N’.

Hope this helps
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
127 posts
hi thanks for the tip.
Fabian
  • Quick Links