Paint Capture issues.

4832   5   3
4 posts
Hello,

I have posted this issue in a thred that seem to be talking about a similar issue I am having with paint capture weights.

I am starting a new thread with my specific issue to see if anyone has had the same problems I am having.

I middle mouse click to select bone and paint away,move bones to deform mesh and continue to paint stray points. I repeat this process and after awhile the paint capture weights stops working. It's totally random when it happens. I have moved to geometry capture where I am using the pill shaped “creagon?” but I would like to use paint capture weights for some more complex models that I have.

Any advice on this issue would be extremely helpful.

George
581 posts
I am exerimenting similar problems too with the paint capture layer tool.
The thing is that in H9 it seems to not work properly, moreover when you want to previz your model at the same time is deformed, the tool puts the paint capture node before the deform node and set the display flag to this last one so you can´t use the paint node directly, you have to change the display flag manually, but then you lose the deformation … Is pain and a big problem because this makes the paint capture tool very buggy and hard o use.
Maybe your problem is related to this.
Cheers
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
3455 posts
@lisux
Edit > Preferences > Objects and Geometry >
Default Geometry Display - set this to > Show Current Operator

this will allow you to paint weights while seeing the deform
the capturepaintlayer node will be the ‘selected’ node and the deform will be the display node…
painting weights and seeing the deform WILL NOT WORK if this is set too “Show Display Operator”

infuriating and just wrong IMO…but what do I know.

@GeorgeD3
I think I've had this same issue a couple of times…can't say for sure what is causing it…
when it happens I just save the file, close Houdini and then open the file agian…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
268 posts
Also, you can switch ‘Current/Display’ Operator option by RMB clicking on the ‘Geometry’ button on the left hand side stowbar in the viewport. Bit faster..

BUT.. I still think that the rigging tools should work in both modes.

I'm still confused as to how/why the ‘show current operator’ functions. I really tried working with the new workflow but still can't see the benefit of showing two sets of geometries at same time (isn't that the job for template flag?). Also, having houdini recook another stream when I just want to look at the node parameters is bad.

The only thing that I could think of for the ‘show current’ workflow would be for it to show ONLY the operator that's selected. Guess that would be quicker than changing display flags (or the display flag could follow the node selection in this workflow).

Adam
581 posts
Thanks for the tips arctor and adamj, now it works.
But I am agree I still don't understand the benefits of this new geometry workflow.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
One major plus to using Show Current Operator is that you don't have to manage footprints and templates to do interactive work in the viewport. Things behave more wisywig.

As for the capture paint and weighting tools, one request (from both of you if I remember correctly…) was to not do things exclusively at the object level but to incorporate SOPs as that is how we set up our desktops. In H9, notice that when you are painting capture weights you are actually put in to geometry mode in the viewport and not kept at the Object level. If the network pain is un-pinned you get to see the SOPs being added for you without having to manage pane linking, etc. We worked in the Display Current mode as the Display flag stays put and there is no need to manage templage/footprint flags to do your work.

We have fixed quite a few issues that were causing needless cooks and will address more issues as they arise specifically with Show Current.

I am not stating that “Show Current Operator” is the only mode that you should use. I personally bind Show Current Operator to F1 and Show Display Operator to F2 and use these often as I work as I have a tendency to sweep through many parts of Houdini every day (part of the job). I tend to use “Current” when I am working directly in the viewport as with Character work or modelling, painting attributes on geometry, etc, and switch over to “Display” when working in the networks on very heavy geometry and I still want to select things in the viewport (groups, handles, etc). I don't even think about the switch.

When I am working with large datasets and just want to tweak values on different nodes I usually leave “Show Current Operator” on and manipulate nodes in the network and just hit “esc” in the viepwort to get out of selection-handle mode. Voila, no current geometry displayed in the viewport = no needless cooking.
Note if you are getting cooks, you cold be using an old build of H9.0/H9.1 as there were bugs.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links