New H11 materials render artifacts

13053   19   1
30 posts
Hi,

the new H11 materials give render artifacts when used with default settings.

I know that I can increase shading quality, but with the old clay material, it works with default values.

Any idea what's causing this in the first place?

Thanks!

Regards,
Carsten

Attachments:
New_Materials_Render.zip (1.5 MB)
comparison.png (224.4 KB)

2624 posts
I have had this problem also with imported models.

rob
Gone fishing
2199 posts
looks like a self shadowing artifact, do you get the same thing with shadows turned off?
If not then try turning up the shadow bias on the light, maybe the default in H11 is lower.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
30 posts
Simon
looks like a self shadowing artifact, do you get the same thing with shadows turned off?
If not then try turning up the shadow bias on the light, maybe the default in H11 is lower.

Thanks for the hint, but this doesn't solve the problem: I get the same artifacts without shadows, and changing the shadow_bias value doesn't help, either! The only solution for the problem seems to be raytracing instead of micropolygon rendering.

Regards,
Carsten
2624 posts
I can get the exact same crazy patterns, on a test Budda model. After looking at the mantra ROP . I set the noise level on the sampling tab to 1 instead of 0.05. This got rid of the pattern.

The help states lower values produce less noisy images , this is clearly not the case. Maybe the default setting is incorrect or something under the hood that's either working incorrectly or broken.

rob

Attachments:
crazy.jpeg (106.6 KB)

Gone fishing
Staff
1182 posts
Try rendering the model with “polygons as subdivision” - that should help. This option is on the object's Render > Geometry tabs…
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
246 posts
rmagee
Try rendering the model with “polygons as subdivision” - that should help. This option is on the object's Render > Geometry tabs…

That's a creative choice, not a technical one - what if I don't want to render subd's?
30 posts
circusmonkey
I can get the exact same crazy patterns, on a test Budda model. After looking at the mantra ROP . I set the noise level on the sampling tab to 1 instead of 0.05. This got rid of the pattern.

rob

Thanks! That did the trick for my model, too.

Carsten
Staff
1182 posts
stu
rmagee
That's a creative choice, not a technical one - what if I don't want to render subd's?

Given the models shown in the images, subd's seemed like a reasonable option and a quick fix for now. As for non-subd models I am not sure why this is happening. I will mention it to r&d and maybe they can pinpoint the issue.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
2624 posts
There is certainly something wrong with the noise value on the mantra rop

Rob
Gone fishing
8532 posts
circusmonkey
There is certainly something wrong with the noise value on the mantra rop

Rob

that doesn't seem to be the main cause or cause at all since all passes of example file use the same mantra node and the same objects and differ only in materials
all are rendered in H11 as i understood from carstenw's post
so there is probably something in new materials setup causing this
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2624 posts
The images show the fault in H11 , coupled with rendered images from H10 which are fine. Since H10 and H11 also have totally different ROPs Ive just pointed out what seems to fix it .
I brought this very error up in the beta list ………………….

rob
Gone fishing
8532 posts
yes, but if you download the file and render out images for different passes you will see the problems as on carstenw's picures
you can also notice that only difference is in materials
all images are produced by the same ROP (H11) with the same settings
at least on my system i have the same results just by rendering out different passes

so i am only saying that even though noise level can fix this, it's default value is not causing it or at least it's something in the material(Surface Model) which is sensitive to this
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
30 posts
Hi,

just to clarify things: The renderings of my opening post were all done with the same Mantra 11.0 ROP. The “H10” in the picture caption refers to the “clay” material being imported from H10.

Carsten
1002 posts
These artifacts are a bug (a problem with Surface Model + micropolygon + triangle geometry). It should be fixed in the next build.

Andrew
21 posts
I am still getting this problem. Did it actually get fixed?

using Houdini 11.0.733 on Linux 64bit Fedora

edit: Was exceptionally bad when using an area light and Mantra Shader Builder material. Also found with point lights, but not so bad - was able to remove by increasing noise value as described above. Not visible when using distant light.

So I guess it hasn't been completely fixed, but addressed.

Anyone else sharing my pain regarding this “super duper” shader?
2624 posts
File a bug :- with scene file

rob
Gone fishing
11 posts
I had similar problem in XSI.

with caracter animation (envelop-xsi) (skining-maya)

after one day looking in problem, I discover that I have caracter on 10000-xt, 10000-zt,
and I moved caracter to 0,0,0, xyz, and errors was gone.

problem was in precision (float val).

so I think that your problem is same if it is not scale or position of your caracter than
is in material, look for values that can decrease precision of calculation.
21 posts
goshone
I am still getting this problem. Did it actually get fixed?

using Houdini 11.0.733 on Linux 64bit Fedora

edit: Was exceptionally bad when using an area light and Mantra Shader Builder material. Also found with point lights, but not so bad - was able to remove by increasing noise value as described above. Not visible when using distant light.

So I guess it hasn't been completely fixed, but addressed.

Anyone else sharing my pain regarding this “super duper” shader?

YES!
2624 posts
Your still getting this issue with 11.1 ? . If so what did support say ?

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links