Visibility Attribute

6891   9   2
665 posts
Hey Guys,

I could have sworn there was a point attribute to hide Geometry from rendering in Mantra. Does this exist, or am I just crazy….

thanks!
-j
339 posts
The Visibilty SOP creates groups of hidden objects, haven't heard of a point attibute that does that though…
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
665 posts
The Visibility SOP would actually be perfect for our needs! Unfortunately, it only works for OGL, and not Mantra.

Unless of course if I am doing it wrong….
2624 posts
Well as far as I can remember there is no point attribute and yes the visibility sop only works in open gl. It would be interesting to hear what your trying to do and whats stopping you from pulling the data you do want into another geometry node to render.

Rob
Gone fishing
4262 posts
jacob clark
The Visibility SOP would actually be perfect for our needs! Unfortunately, it only works for OGL, and not Mantra.

Unless of course if I am doing it wrong….

There is a vm_rendergroups property that allows you to render a grouped subset of the geometry at render time.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
665 posts
It would be interesting to hear what your trying to do and whats stopping you from pulling the data you do want into another geometry node to render.
Not much really, as that's what we have ended up doing. I was thinking it'd be great to do this with a Delayed Load. Have the same geo that I bring into Houdini, also be ready to pipe straight to the render, with visibility attributes set. As you say, splitting it up works well otherwise.

Thanks for the pointer Wolfwood, I'll take a look!

-j
665 posts
I'm not sure this has ever happened to me. But if I google “vm_rendergroups”, the only item returned is this forum group.

Recursive much?
665 posts
So I couldn't find anything called “vm_rendergroups”, but there is a “vm_geometrygroup” which is quite promising.

It doesn't look like the parameter takes wildcards. Explicitly setting the name works a treat though!

-j
1390 posts
vm_geometrygroup / object:geometrygroup = ('')
Each object references a geometry object. Houdini geometry allows multiple primitive groups to be defined. If the object:geometrygroup parameter is set to a string, only the primitives which are members of the named group will be rendered by this instance. This allows multiple objects to instance the same geometry, but render different parts.

Perhaps this is it?
4262 posts
jacob clark
So I couldn't find anything called “vm_rendergroups”, but there is a “vm_geometrygroup” which is quite promising.

It doesn't look like the parameter takes wildcards. Explicitly setting the name works a treat though!

-j

Ya that's it. Sorry about that. I was pulling that from memory.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
  • Quick Links