Remember Dial-Up?

9543   14   0
132 posts
Are you tired of fast, streaming online content? Longing for the days of slow dial-up connections? Wish you could experience the painfully sluggish crawl of the internet during the early 90's? Look no further than the www.sidefx.com user forums!

Seriously. Even at home where I have an awesome connection, visiting this site is the digital equivellent of diving into a pool of tar. Anybody else notice this?
Staff
3455 posts
it runs off of Jeff Wagner's palm pilot.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4140 posts
I've been bitching about this for some time. It's truly awful - I visit fan sites with no sponsorship that scream compared to this. At least they could upgrade to a Tungsten T5.

Seriously - a Dell 2U server would cost a few thousand bucks and make a significant impact on curious visitors and of course for us!

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7735 posts
What are your ping times for www.sidefx.com? Mines are around 55 ms for the most part. And a traceroute (or tracert on Windows), shows 22 hops. While it's slow for me as well, it certainly doesn't feel like dial up at all.
4140 posts
I don't think it's ping issues or hops(I get 30ms and 30 hops!) - that's why I was suggesting a better server. In the late evening, or weekend mornings I find it as you describe - annoyingly slow, but not unbearable. Friday a.m., trying to send this - without a word of exaggeration I was waiting one to 2 1/2 minutes for the compose window to come up. This is typical for weekday a.m. The problem appears to be that there's some serious load being put on the server, or it's way, way too old to be doing the job it's being asked to(or both). Often the session just “gives up” trying to post - no response, just sits there waiting.

Believe me, I wouldn't complain if it was just a little laggy - it's so annoyingly slow I rarely contribute anything here anymore because it simply eats up too much of my time waiting(mind you, some might see that as a good thing ).

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
3455 posts
yeah…the annoying thing is that if I look out the window I can see the SESI building…but posting/reading takes longer than just walking over there and yelling…lol
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
132 posts
I wouldnt complain either if the slowness was reasonable. I can handle a little slowness. But sometimes as mentioned this part of the site is so painfully slow it cuts into production time.
7735 posts
So what times of the day (or days of the week?) is it slow? For some reason, I seem to never really run into it.
4140 posts
For me, it's particularly brutal weekday mornings, then it seems to come back a bit, then often in the later afternoon seems to slow down again. Like all these things, of course, you can never nail a time. Even at good times(weekends am, am wee hours) it's noticably slower than most other web sites, which shows that something is being strained. When it's bad, posting something is ridiculous(i.e. I just give up).

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
5 posts
the_squid
Are you tired of fast, streaming online content? Longing for the days of slow dial-up connections? Wish you could experience the painfully sluggish crawl of the internet during the early 90's? Look no further than the www.sidefx.com user forums!

Seriously. Even at home where I have an awesome connection, visiting this site is the digital equivellent of diving into a pool of tar. Anybody else notice this?

Is it just me, or is this site a little better now?
Crunch Crunch
12500 posts
Definitely a lot faster! Well done, someone!

Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
4262 posts
Wow….much better indeed….

Guess that extra 512k memory card for Jeff's Palm Pilot was worth it.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4140 posts
Whee!

J.C.
John Coldrick
52 posts
My connection is pretty bad, but this site loads quickly…
Keep working! Johnny Worker!
132 posts
Better for me too :wink:
  • Quick Links