New crowdsytem suitable for birds or fish swarm?

7257   8   3
84 posts
Hello, is it possible? i could imagine since its point based approach. thanks, t
637 posts
it should be possible…..

there is also a older tutorial to make a custom flocking system:
https://cmivfx.com/store/330-houdini-flocking-systems [cmivfx.com]

maybe this will help too for a simple setup:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/dopparticles/follow [sidefx.com]
Staff
3455 posts
the new crowd system simply extends Houdini's abilities when it comes to crowds…
fish/birds have been more than possible forever, you likely can do them in 14 without using the new tools
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
84 posts
thanks mandrake. Some time ago I have seen this cmi tut. This flocking from christian schellhammer is very good!
But I like the workflow with DOP POPS in Houdini 14. I have found some Steering POPs working not only for crowd but also for Particels ..i think this will be my solution. And some basic pop operation as you mentioned.

edit: thanks actor, I think it should be not so difficult esp. with 14
7730 posts
The new H14 crowd system can work with more generic rigs. The main limitation being that if you have deforming geometry, it requires that they only be deformed using a Deform SOP (ie. skin weight deformations).

Otherwise, you can just ignore the biped parts assignments the Crowd Solver SOP's parameters. These are just used for the terrain adaptation and head look at's. You can turn these off on the Crowd Solver DOP node.
84 posts
I have to work with pre baked anim. So no rig. Is it possible to use state-machine with prebaked anim? Should I bake/make transition between the states.
Is it recommend to work with rigs or with baked animseq states?
…i am very newby with crowdsystems.
7730 posts
Generic rigs includes pre-baked anim. It doesn't matter because the Agent ROP will bake out whatever you see. The built-in mocap bipeds for example, are all prebaked anim. It doesn't matter whether you've got keyframed animation or not.

The default set up is one animation clip per state. So just do transitions between states. The more important thing is to ensure that your animation can blend nicely between transitions.
84 posts
thanks edward, for clearing thinks up. very helpful informations! I have to take a closer look to the examples..
84 posts
…at end I decide to use to new pop steer forces. This are so great.
Here I using the path- and seeksteerforces (and of course align, cohesion, seperationnodes) .

Everything else is done with copy-stamping. I reading out the direction up, down, banking with changes in direction and drives it (with stamp) the blend seq sop.

Its rough preview with a primitve birds (30k).
https://db.tt/9m6HzmPd [db.tt]
  • Quick Links