Houdini to make complete movie?

7428   11   3
8 posts
I want to make Animated 3D Idie movies, Can I do it just using Houdini? Or I will need additional tools to make the complete movie?
637 posts
it's depending on the requirements of the story and the look! so it's a yes and a no…. :-)
8 posts
Thank you for your Answer,
What I can't do? What tools I need to use to do those tools?

I am choosing between Houdini and IClone 6, Houdini has best images but I think IClone have more features, so I want to be aware about what I can't do with Houdini,

Thanks in advance,
8 posts
mandrake0
it's depending on the requirements of the story and the look! so it's a yes and a no…. :-)
Thank you for your Answer,
What I can't do? What tools I need to use to do those tools?

I am choosing between Houdini and IClone 6, Houdini has best images but I think IClone have more features, so I want to be aware about what I can't do with Houdini,

Thanks in advance,
637 posts
in houdini you have nearly everything there are a lot of functions build in. it's easier to say whats missing :-)
  • - digital sculpting ala zbrush or 3dcoat
    - image and vector painting like photoshop, gimp, illustrator, inkscape
    - 3d tracker
    - nle video editor
    - colorgrading system like nucoda, davinci, mistika (basic colorgrading exists)

did i miss something?….
8 posts
mandrake0
in houdini you have nearly everything there are a lot of functions build in. it's easier to say whats missing :-)
  • - digital sculpting ala zbrush or 3dcoat
    - image and vector painting like photoshop, gimp, illustrator, inkscape
    - 3d tracker
    - nle video editor
    - colorgrading system like nucoda, davinci, mistika (basic colorgrading exists)

did i miss something?….

• Wao, Amazing, looks great product,

I am courious about things like for example, Manage the Movies Scenes, Audio, Characters, Emotions, Costumes, etc.. Does Houdini can offer thos elements?

Best regards,
Staff
3456 posts
post an example of the kind of movie you're interested in making, depending on the complexity you could use just about anything…
personally I'd go with Houdini over IClone, IClone looks more like a pre-vis application.
making a film, even a 5 minute short is a huge undertaking - from your questions I'd suggest researching how short animated films are made before you invest in any applications…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
8 posts
arctor
post an example of the kind of movie you're interested in making, depending on the complexity you could use just about anything…
personally I'd go with Houdini over IClone, IClone looks more like a pre-vis application.
making a film, even a 5 minute short is a huge undertaking - from your questions I'd suggest researching how short animated films are made before you invest in any applications…

Thank you for your reply,

As examples, I am interested in animated 3D movies like “The Adventures of Tintin” and “Avatar”, I know those are master pieces, but I am telling you just for reference,

I just want to be sure in choose a software that could be used for most of the needed task, instead of choose a tool that is just for some specifics tasks but can not be used for others,

Thanks in advance!
181 posts
Speaking of pre-production, you may also be interested in examining the storyboards and color scripts of the films you admire. They show an astounding level of deliberation and planning, and may help you envision the story, pacing, and emotional tone of your project.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Pixar-Complete-Scripts-Animation/dp/0811879631/ [amazon.com]
Staff
2540 posts
I can't speak to Iclone but I can speak about Houdini.

Just having Houdini Digital Assets alone is the killer feature for doing a feature. Your rigs as assets will be robust and solid.

A few full CG features have incorporated Houdini for various parts of the pipeline. The latest was Book Of Life where Houdini was used to light and render with Mantra.

The list above with the omissions in Houdini is about right.

I would toss 3D tracking off the list as it is not required in 100% CG features.

If this is a serious project and it is awesome and you get a few sequences done lit and rendered, shop it around for someone to grade it for you (nucoda, etc) for credit…

You may need a bunch of storage and if time an issue, a small render farm.
There's at least one school like the old school!
655 posts
I can only see benefits in trying to do it in houdini and although certainly will be harder it will pay of big time in terms of your career.

Harder because there is less documentation on some fronts and some tools may be more complex but your understanding of 3D will be way more valuable and as an artist you will be more valuable too.

My only suggestion is to be realistic with yourself and make sure you can cope with such an endeavour, after all, it is a marathon.

good luck and make sure you share your progress, I am sure the community will be happy to help you through the journey.
8 posts
jordibares
I can only see benefits in trying to do it in houdini and although certainly will be harder it will pay of big time in terms of your career.

Harder because there is less documentation on some fronts and some tools may be more complex but your understanding of 3D will be way more valuable and as an artist you will be more valuable too.

My only suggestion is to be realistic with yourself and make sure you can cope with such an endeavour, after all, it is a marathon.

good luck and make sure you share your progress, I am sure the community will be happy to help you through the journey.

Thank you jordibares and jeff, and all you guys I'll try Houdini, I have downloaded the apprentice version, so I'll share my progress!
  • Quick Links