Convert Selection to

7070   8   2
1755 posts
in Houdini
convert selection to doesn't seem to work when =.

In Softimage (sorry SreckoM, can't stop doing this apparently) I can convert poly to poly (et al) but not in Houdini. It sucks because I can achieve some type of selections otherwise difficult (time consuming) to do, like alternating components for various purposes.

Also the shortcut description is a bit confusing. Instead of ctrl+$, maybe ctrl+shift+4 since that's what you're actually pressing. Not hugely important…

Attachments:
to_poly2.gif (187.2 KB)
to_poly1.gif (183.1 KB)

1265 posts
Use the group SOP

Attachments:
Selection.gif (2.7 MB)

Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
I know about groups and their versatility. There are lots of situations in which I need a quick localized one (you're operating on the entire object with group SOPs by default and isolating just the polys you want to work with is not very easy) and leaving the viewport to do that (or selecting by the traditional means) when it could take me 2 sec is far from optimal and doesn't play well with the recent endeavor of making Houdini a bit more “artistic friendly”.
599 posts
McNistor
in Houdini
convert selection to doesn't seem to work when =.

In Softimage (sorry SreckoM, can't stop doing this apparently) I can convert poly to poly (et al) but not in Houdini. It sucks because I can achieve some type of selections otherwise difficult (time consuming) to do, like alternating components for various purposes.
Hm.. Never thought about this case. I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

McNistor
Also the shortcut description is a bit confusing. Instead of ctrl+$, maybe ctrl+shift+4 since that's what you're actually pressing. Not hugely important…
Yes and no. Keyboards are weird. Especially when in the land of non-US keyboards.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
1755 posts
That's great.
If it's not too much to ask, a “select edge boundary” would be very useful when having a patch of polys selected. I know I use it from time to time and saves me quite a bit of time. Pls see attached.

Another one I use a lot is to select “islands” of polygons.
Say you have a box and a sphere (or whatever kind of meshes) inside an OBJ which are completely disconnected (no edge/point in common) but are merged by a ‘merge’ node to make so that they're essentially the same mesh. If one uses ‘N’ it will select all the components, but I'd like a method for selecting (by say double-clicking or whatever) just a piece of geometry (polys) that's separate from the other/s. The result would be basically a repeated shift+G until there's nothing left to add to the selection.
I hope I made myself clear, otherwise let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Attachments:
edge_boundary.jpg (119.3 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
Another one I use a lot is to select “islands” of polygons.

in the view port press 9
you'll get an overlay in the top right corner…
from here you can use the gear to pick:
Groups
3D Connectivity
UV Connectivity
Edge Cut Connectivity
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1755 posts
Thanks for the info, but unless I can assign this to a shortcut (searched, but didn't find) it's not quite suited for a fast viewport centered workflow.
Shortcut aside, ti seems that as long as I have that open (9) I can only select islands. To be able to select individual components I have to necessarily close it (press 9 again).
Also the edge island selection is broken when having a ‘merge’ node active. With one of those ‘blast’ nodes selected, it works fine.

Attachments:
island_edge.jpg (433.7 KB)

Staff
4438 posts
The edge selection bug in the image you posted should be fixed in the first daily build, once they become available.
1755 posts
Pics or it won't happen.
one down n more to go
  • Quick Links