Sharing my tutorials

7024   16   3
1799 posts
Hi guys, just wanted to share my tutorial play list if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjOCJrhSBGUG9uqJ2rMe6ByLJcTD9Jau7 [youtube.com]

My tutorials are mostly focused on procedural content creation (as supposed to VFX). Hope you enjoy it!
-G
459 posts
Thanks.

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
15 posts
thanks , Really helpful

Keep them coming.

www.vickz3d.com
1799 posts
Not a problem! glad you enjoyed them guys! I will try to squeeze a new video once in a while to keep it fresh
-G
66 posts
Thanks for doing this!
453 posts
Thanks!
This forum needs a “Thank you!”-Button. XD
7 posts
379 posts
THANKS!
51 posts
Thnx
2 x Xeon E5-2670 - 64 GB DDR3 RAM - Nvidia GTX 960 - Win 10 64x
27 posts
Thank you.
13 posts
Thanks.
3 posts
Thank you! I was looking for tutorials focused on procedural content creation!

2 posts
I've been trying to learn Houdini since H11. Watched the getting started and master classes, trolled YouTube/Vimeo and I just couldnt wrap my head around it.

I binge watched all your tutorials in a little over one day, and it finally clicked! You did an excellent job, and I thank you for taking the time to create them.

I've gone from Blender to Softimage and now Maya. I gotta say, Houdini is a freakin masterpiece of 3D software.

Hopefully I'll be able to give back to the Houdini community some day.
1799 posts
Hey guys! I am glad to hear these are helpful (I was hoping they would be when I created them), and thank you for checking them out! Daryl, I had that click moment a long time ago and since then it has been hard to put it down since then Looking forward to see your work!
-G
2 posts
Gianvito, I've been telling everyone about your tutorial series, and one question that keeps coming up about Houdini is scene assembly.

Asset creation is really nice in Houdini, but how do I do scene assembly of various assets (and variations of those assets) in Houdini?

For instance, in Maya, you have an assembly definition concept, where you can swap between different variations of an asset, and also switch between how that asset (and all instances of that asset) are represented in the scene: from just a simple locator (point) or bounding box, to a low poly (LOD) and finally up to high poly for rendering.

So, if you could add a couple scene assembly videos, that would be great.
1799 posts
Hey Daryl, thank you for sharing my videos! I will add scene assembly to my list as well. The example from Maya for scene assembly, is that the Reference Editor workflow?

In Houdini, a lot of that functionality is done via Alembic archives and/or Packed Prims, or in some cases, I have even used digital assets to make “smart assets” which populate a scene in a deterministic fashion.

These workflows are exposed in a few different flavors depending on your domain (surfacing/lighting, rendering pipeline, etc). I am by no means an expert on film render pipelines, but will be happy to share some approaches I have used when assembling multiple components in Houdini for games it is certainly possible to do what you mentioned and more

Here are a few other tutorials I also have on my to do list:

- New texture bake workflow (shader and ROP node)/making your own custom shader that samples from other geo

- LODs pipeline to unreal

- Houdini Engine in Unreal

- Houdini Engine in Maya

- Volumes

- For Loops

- New visualizer nodes

- VEX: using intersect and XYZ Distance to gather data at fragment locations

- Python
-G
603 posts
grayOlorin
The example from Maya for scene assembly, is that the Reference Editor workflow?

Yes, you are correct, PackedPrimitives would be the Houdini equivalent to Maya Assembly References.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
  • Quick Links