Interactive selection conversion?

4439   6   2
711 posts
Hi all, I'm wondering what happened to this functionality in H15? I'm talking about switching between point/primitive/edge/vertex selections in the viewport and Houdini converting your selection from one type to the next. And also Houdini's ability to take a selection of one type and convert it to the type appropriate for a given SOP. For example, selecting a few primitives and invoking a Fuse SOP would automatically give you the right point group in the Fuse SOP.
In Houdini 15, I have to give the Fuse SOP a point selection.

Often times it's just easier/faster to select primitives or edges for SOPs that expect a point or vertex selection. I'm finding it quite a speed bump as far as modeling workflow goes. UV mapping seems like it would be pretty painful now. :shock:

Should I file a bug report or is there something else going on that I missed…?
1265 posts
To Point Selection Ctrl + @
To Edge Selection Ctrl + #
To Primitive Selection Ctrl + $

Does this work?
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
333 posts
I also noticed this change of behavoir with H15. Why for example if i want to bevel a face i am forced to selct the edges or hit ctrl shift 3 for conversion which just breaks the workflow. Somehow I was sure it was just a bug or an oversight that would be fixed soon… guess i was wrong.

Submitted as: RFE #74758.
711 posts
Werner Ziemerink
To Primitive Selection Ctrl + $

Does this work?

No, but Ctrl+Shift+@,#,$ does! So that functionality is there, just tied to different (more awkward ) shortcuts. Personally, I think it's more useful to quickly convert a selection with the 2,3,4,5 keys than the ability to remember different selections between modes, which is the current behavior. The selection tools have gotten really good IMO, so this just seems like a step backwards workflow wise.

Second part still stands, thanks Doudini for submitting.
216 posts
Just a suggestion but it would not make more sense to have "Ctrl+2, Ctrl+3, Ctrl+4, Ctrl+5“ shortcuts, or something like that, to convert selection instead ”Ctrl+Shift+@, Ctrl+Shift+# and Ctrl+Shift+$" ?
1265 posts
or is it Ctrl + Shift + 2
Ctrl + Shift + 3
and Ctrl + Shift + 4?

:twisted:
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
2 posts
Houdini 16.5