Houdini Indie -> Houdini FX

1700   3   0
177 posts
Hi,

I'm currently working on a project using Indie and the director would like the option to go 4K with the VFX shots we are doing, so we may end up upgrading to Houdini FX after all the shots are completed.

We will be doing all the compositing in After Effects.

If we keep the same aspect ratio in Indie 1920 x <whatever> and just change the render camera to 4096 x <whatever> does anything need to change in my Houdini project to get the same framing, etc?

Anything to keep in mind while I'm doing the current shots?

Thanks,

Jim
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
2543 posts
16:9 aspect ratio is not the same as 4K, it is closer to 4:3 than you think. 1024x768 is 4:3. 1024x778 is 1/4th of 4K.

Also I am not sure if you can just load up a .hiplc file in a fully licensed version of Houdini and have it work. You may have to contact SideFx about converting it.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
177 posts
Yeah, we aren't dealing with 16x9 at all. More like 2:35:1 which Indie can do, but can't go more than 1920 wide.

I do know SideFX allows you to take any HIPLC files when you purchase the FX version for a limited time.

My question is more of a “are there any gotcha's” I'm not thinking about?

If I'm dealing with the exact same aspect ratio, does anything in Houdini change?

I'm guessing that I'd need to make sure any external images used for textures were high enough resolution, etc.

Jim
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
Staff
3455 posts
a change in resolution shouldn't cause any changes in the resulting image…just more pixels
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links