"Correct" way to control Transform nodes or Points at SOP level

3220   6   1
174 posts
Hi,
I'm building a custom rig on a mesh and i need to control it at scene level via Nulls for example.

What is the most common way to link deformation at SOP level with some controllers easily animatable.

Example I would like to control / select and animate easily TWO Transform node at SOP level placed in the middle of the network.

Thanks.
Edited by NNois - July 1, 2016 09:28:58
2537 posts
I wouldn't use a NULL, simply use the geo object or subnet that the rig resides within as your host container. Click on the gear ICON, located in the upper right corner of the Properties panel, to edit the parameter interface and add two Float3 vectors. Click apply and accept. Now dive into your rig and locate the transform nodes you want to control. Right-Click on the word Translate and choose Copy Parameter. Then return to the top level and Right-Click on the newly created Float3 vector and choose Paste Copied Relative Reference.

This will link the two fields via expressions and turn the fields green in your display. When you change the field in one place, the other fields will update.
Edited by Enivob - July 1, 2016 09:41:35
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
174 posts
Thanks, but how this “controler”(transform SOP) could be selectable, outside of the sop level ?
Sure i can build an interface for controling the rig but how without scene nulls can i select each transforms without selecting manually each transform nodes diving in the network ?
Edited by NNois - July 1, 2016 10:20:46
18 posts
Hi NNois,

you don't have to have a separate node for the controller. Just take you SOP (or whatever node) and edit the interface of it, as Enivob described. Then you just have to assign the controls and link them and you can control internal nodes from outside the network.

Here's a simple example:
Edited by Innehavaren - July 2, 2016 04:20:42

Attachments:
outside_sop_controls.hip (51.9 KB)

174 posts
Thanks for your example, I'm sorry this not what i'm after, and not clear at all.

I'm after the 3d viewport manipulators available on transform node outside of his own SOP

Yeah i have numerical control with sliders on parameters but we can't have any 3d manipulators without nulls right ???
Edited by NNois - July 4, 2016 17:09:39
Staff
3455 posts
you're looking for Object Level control of SOP parameters - use a null and drive the transform SOPs…there are a few ways, try the point() function
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
174 posts
That's what i figured out.

How can we get world scale of a null ?? (think of a complex null hierarchy where i need the exact world scale of one)

Sorry about those maybe obvious things but the docs aren't very informative…
  • Quick Links