Rigging help

2018   3   3
90 posts
Hello,

I have an anatomical skeleton that I'd like to rig so I can animate it to use with new muscle system in H16. I'm completely new to rigging. How would I be able to capture the rig to the skeleton so that the rig only rotate/translate the skeleton and doesn't deform that actual geometry.

Thank you.

Attachments:
054.PNG (540.2 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
when you build your rig, each skeleton bone should be it's own Object, then you can parent these objects to their corresponding rig bones.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
806 posts
I definitely second Michael's suggestion of splitting the skeleton up into separate objects.
On a tutorial project I am doing I went for creating polygon groups for each segment of my character (a spider, rigging the legs) and then applying the bones' influences to those polygon groups. Works - but setting it up is unnecessarily tedious (you do learn a lot about how to weight-paint in Houdini along the way, though), having the character split up into separate “bones” (pun intended) is way, way better.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
402 posts
Hi guys,

I'm afraid that I've been a lazy bum on this front. I did capture the skeleton geometry to the rigs bone objects, I put together a little hda for setting the capture attribute on each disconnected bit of geo based on which capture region is most prevalent in that geometry ‘part’, which gives a 100% weight to only one bone object.

Has given me good results so far, but of course there is the overhead of using a deform sop to actually move the geometry, this is something I wrote off in the short term as the anatomical bone objects are only used in the context of FEM simulation which is so much slower anyway that the deform sop performance becomes much less significant.

The big advantage of this is that I can work on the modelling of the skeleton and have all the capturing/deformation taken care of by a node network, which is very useful for me right now as I'm yet to find out if the skeleton behaves nicely with the FEM sim down the line. So adjustments to the geometry are expected (getting enough empty space between the bones, tweaking the resolution of the skeleton mesh etc. for maximum per-form-ance ) and I've found so far that working on a single geometry object helps a lot with this.

Sorry for the extended post, if anyone is interested in that hda, it's here…

Attachments:
capture_maximal_demo.hip (140.1 KB)
esparragito_capture_maximal.hda (6.0 KB)

Henry Dean
  • Quick Links