Stopping objects from being selectable in a HDA

2445   8   2
517 posts
Hi there!
I have a character rig I created in Houdini and I was having a little trouble with bones being accidentally picked.
This bone for example gets accidentally picked often

It's node is set to non selectable but it still gets selected (I think) because some of it's parameters are stored in the top level of the HDA. Is there a way to block that? I don't ever want to select it but I want those paramaters to be available in the setup(edit) section of my HDA in case I need to change the proportions of the character.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Pete
Edited by peteski - July 6, 2017 02:17:40
402 posts
Hi Pete,

The cleanest way currently I think would be to duplicate (object merge) the display geo and hide the actual bone object… If you wanted to be quicker and dirtier about it you could try changing the channel refs on the bone to something like `1 * ch(“../my_drive_chan”)` , this would force it to be an expressions rather than a channel reference, which the HDA can't expose to viewport handles,

Hope that helps,
Henry
Henry Dean
517 posts
Haha, interesting little hack with the 1*
Thanks though, either of those solutions would work I reckon. I'll jump on it tomorrow.

Thanks!
Pete
Staff
138 posts
hmm… I just tried this and couldn't reproduce the problem. Take a look at the attached hip file. Does this simple setup act as you've described?

Attachments:
selecttest.hip (56.8 KB)

john mariella
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
402 posts
Hee, this looks to be reproducible with a *very* particular set of conditions…

The HDA itself needs it selectable flag set on, and it seems like the bone object needs to be displaying some custom geo (couldn't reproduce with the bonelink set as the bone display SOP). Turning the HDA selectable flag off prevents the bone selection again…

I have had a similar issue with skin geometry inside a rig HDA, where the HDA selectable flag needs to be turned off to prevent selection of the mesh.

Attachments:
selecttest_weird_combo.hip (58.4 KB)

Henry Dean
Staff
138 posts
Ah. Thanks Henry. And it seems to only happen when drag-selecting. I've filed a bug for this issue. ID=83677
john mariella
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
517 posts
Hey thanks for checking that out guys. I was asleep !
Is funny that I generated that perfect storm of bad times
I often use custom geo for bones, I like it because you can get more of an idea of the characters form without adding the skinned geo.
Staff
138 posts
Fixed in Houdini 16.0.669
john mariella
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
517 posts
Cool! Thanks for the update
Pete
  • Quick Links