Timeshift or offset animation on points

14044   5   1
47 posts
Hello, new user here. Simple problem that I've done a lot of looking around for answers to but haven't found anything that works for me yet. I want to offset the keyframed animation of N number of points. My current approach is to create an attribute called “offset” and then use a foreach loop with a timeshift node embedded in it. My expression for the frame in the timeshift node is

$F+point(“../foreach_begin1/”, 0,“offset”, 0)

This does not work. I've experimented with copy stamping and chops as well. Copy stamping doesn't really work for me because it is the timeframes of the points I want to offset, not the timeframe of the object I'm copying onto them. Chops I just don't really understand well enough…I don't know how to drive them with geometry attributes.

I'd like to know why my current approach using the for each loop doesn't work. But I'm very open to any suggestions on other approaches. Thank you for your time.

Attachments:
time_shift_points.hiplc (58.0 KB)

1743 posts
Feels like there should be a cleaner way than this; in a chop network pull in the translate and offset attributes as channels, split them apart, then in a stretch chop retime the transforms using the offset attribute with a chop hscript expression:

chop("../just_offsets/offset"+$C)/24

Attachments:
time_shift_points1.hiplc (66.5 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
402 posts
That is an interesting little problem with the foreach… I haven't been able to wrap my noodle around why that isn't working. I did take a stab at putting it into chops, I'm afraid I still appear to be channel wrangle obsessed… but they're just so gooood…

Attachments:
time_shift_points_nother.hiplc (75.2 KB)

Henry Dean
47 posts
Thank you both. I appreciate the different approaches. Have to say I am glad I'm getting into Houdini at a time when the channel wrangle is a thing. I actually was heading down a chops path to a solution before I saw your replies (i am becoming a big fan of of them). You both got me over the finish line. Cheers.
555 posts
you just have to do a bit of…..errrrr…….SHIFTING

(I've shifted your Transform node)
Edited by vusta - Aug. 28, 2017 20:23:49

Attachments:
time_shift_points_SHIFTY.hipnc (62.8 KB)

75 posts
vusta
you just have to do a bit of…..errrrr…….SHIFTING

(I've shifted your Transform node)

Oh man, thanks for this! I was banging my head on the wall with an iteration detail attribute to solve this and didn't even think of using the point expression.
  • Quick Links