RFE: Image browser for any Image type file requestor

12301   15   4
7025 posts
Hi,
So, when you use backtick in Cops you get a file requestor that lets you load multiple files, very cool. Even cooler, it has an image browser.
RFE Have any Image type file requestor have the browser!! If I click + on a File COP I don't get to browse the images, same using an Image defined loader in SHOPs etc. The code is there, please hook it up )

Cheers,

Peter B
581 posts
One vote for this
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
32 posts
me too!
941 posts
wow… never even knew the back-tick thing existed! :shock:
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
557 posts
It's always good to hide the most useful features in the most obscure places possible. It keeps people alert.
941 posts
craig
It's always good to hide the most useful features in the most obscure places possible. It keeps people alert.

Hehe.. a couple of people here knew about it – that's the good news.
The bad news is that they both said they found it “by accident”… I'm guessing they both had a momentary aneurysm and thought they were using VIM instead of the compositor… alas, it seems I never had that happy accident
Mario Marengo
31 posts
you can also you the backtick in SOPs to load multiple .bgeo sequences
Staff
5158 posts
Dare I mention that it's in the network pane's Operator menu under ‘Add File Operator’? Or documented in the Compositing section under ‘Create or Load Image Data’? No, perhaps not… no one ever looks there… :wink:
941 posts
twod
Dare I mention that it's in the network pane's Operator menu under ‘Add File Operator’? Or documented in the Compositing section under ‘Create or Load Image Data’? No, perhaps not… no one ever looks there… :wink:

Did someone say “menu”?? :shock:
And what the heck does “RTFM” stand for anyway?!?!

… I'm sticking with the aneurysm story…
Mario Marengo
581 posts
lucap
you can also you the backtick in SOPs to load multiple .bgeo sequences
Great, and following the Peter RFE, why don't embeed the geo viewer in a “geo browser” to select geo files?
Or to open a houdini scene?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Both RFEs have been submitted.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
jeff
Both RFEs have been submitted.
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
5158 posts
Great, and following the Peter RFE, why don't embeed the geo viewer in a “geo browser” to select geo files?
Or to open a houdini scene?

Likely because such a browser would be too slow to be very useful. There is the ‘eye’ button which pops up a geo viewer, but this is just a small half step in that direction.

I could see a hip file embedding a small snapshot of the main viewer as an image swatch, which might work some of the time - but there will always be exceptions (for example, a compositing hip file, or one that just defines particle systems). There's also the question of camera position and angle; I suppose a camera could be selected from the list, or an “ideal” viewing area selected. And then of course, you don't want this swatch impacting save times very much. So it's not exactly a trivial RFE.
4140 posts
Interesting idea. To avoid the problems you mention, Mark, what about the compromise of grabbing a snap of the first viewport that happens to be open(if any) during the save? That way yes, you might not have precisely the “perfect” representation of every save, but it would save compute time and most of the time it would be meaningful, at least. The quickie saves I do I bet I'd remember the particular view, when it's a long term save that I'll come back to in weeks, then I'll setup a purty shot. Sort of reminds me of FPS game saves that snag the current view as a tag for the save game file. Works more often than not(“oh yeah, that's the dead Rurg whose head I blew off with the BMF!” ).

Cool idea, even if all of this is for sad, sad windows GUI types that need an icon or they can't function(ooops - did I say that out loud? ).

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4261 posts
JColdrick
Cool idea, even if all of this is for sad, sad windows GUI types that need an icon or they can't function(ooops - did I say that out loud? ).

Don't worry, I don't think Mario heard you.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
581 posts
Likely because such a browser would be too slow to be very useful. There is the ‘eye’ button which pops up a geo viewer, but this is just a small half step in that direction.
I think is always possible to have in the Main Settings, for example in the Misc section, options to enable previews for images, geometry, hip files, etc …
So anytime you can choose to have the helpful thumbnails or not, is a user option.
And yes is not so easy to know what view point to save to the screenshot from a hip file.
I am agree with John, i think that the last viewer, perspective viewport, used could be good.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links