How to turn on full screen mode for all program's window

280   5   2
1 posts
How to turn on full screen mode for all program's window like when you tap f11 in web browser? Without start(on Windows) and space on the top (where name of project, version and close\max\min buttons). I just starter in CG and Houdini of course, sorry if my question is simple. I didn't find it in google) Thank you!
36 posts
In my opinion what is closer is “CTRL+B” and close the shelfs.
In order to acess the tools use “TAB” menu.
Edited by harryabreu - Dec. 27, 2017 06:25:45
6 posts
This is still a missing feature in Houdini, but there are workarounds. Especially with bright OS colors, I always wonder how people can work hours and hours with the disturbing UI elements in front of them. Those are also not good friends of our eyes in terms of health…
I'm working on tutorials which will include advices about how to set up your advanced Houdini “cockpit”.

On Linux (KDE interface, but I guess others also support this) it is quite easy, you can bind any shortcut to the native window fullscreen mode, which does exactly the same as you requested. On Windows it is a bit tricky, you should use WinExplorer, a small program to get back some “forgotten” functionality of the older versions, like fully hide the taskbar, and additionally hide the title bar, so put the application in fullscreen mode. Regarding to my experiences, this mode also makes some applications more responsive/higher frame rates, as there is nothing else, just the actual window. I had issues with Houdini using this, because simply ticking the WS_DLGFRAME/WS_BORDER on the Style tab - which is the recommended “force fullscreen” action - resulted a broken UI. Finally I get it to work, but needs some additional tweaks on the Size & Position Tab. Later I'll tell you the workaround, just I should check it on Windows to remember.

For me it's quite strange that 2 of the 3 supported OS have no native fullscreen mode for any window. This was one of te main reasons to switch to Linux(which is also not close to perfectness, but you can feel the system more in your hands…). Doing serious work, like look-dev in front of an interrogation lamp (Mac taskbar) seems ridiculous for me…

Additionally Houdini's MPlay has this F11 fullscreen mode you wanted. I already planned to send a feature request to SESI, to get it for Houdini itself, so it's time
artstation.com/scivfx
350 posts
Create shelf tool with this code:

mw = hou.qt.mainWindow()
if mw.isFullScreen():
    mw.showMaximized()
else:
    mw.showFullScreen()
https://gumroad.com/l/GVLLS [gumroad.com]
https://vimeo.com/user43923185 [vimeo.com]
36 posts
Mr Vux thank you.
I'll try this solution
6 posts
Yepp, thank you Vux, works well. I'll include this/mention you in the tut. In the meantime I sent an RFE, so hopefully this feature will be natively accessible through the UI/shortcut/radial menu. But now anybody can bind this script to a shortcut/radial menu on any platform.
artstation.com/scivfx
  • Quick Links