Tiff Rage

3881   6   0
4140 posts
After the 20th time in the last month getting a call back from a client that the tiff files we sent “don't work” in Avid, is it possible to change the shipping default of Houdini tiff to LZW compression from the frustrating “Adobe Deflate”? I understand all the politics behind it, the idiotic file spec creep, all that - it just so happens that lzw or uncompressed tiffs are still pretty damned common out there, but you have to constantly remember to alter this everytime Houdini enters the mix. It doesn't fit with the “hurry, they're in a rush for it” pipeline. It's the only app that we use that has this problem.

Pretty please?

J.C.
John Coldrick
7732 posts
Modify your $HH/FBoptions file and change the TIFF compression line to
TIFF compression LZW
4140 posts
OK, thanks Edward, but that wasn't really my point. I figured, being Houdini, it would be configurable, but don't you guys want your product to put out end results *by default* that work with other major apps in the biz? We've got this enabled shop-wide now, but all it takes is for a panic thing to happen that requires quickly sourcing a different job environment, send it out - doh!

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
311 posts
edward
TIFF compression LZW

But surely as soon as you upgrade Houdini you have to re-edit FBoptions, or can you place a copy in $HOME?
4262 posts
jesta
edward
TIFF compression LZW

But surely as soon as you upgrade Houdini you have to re-edit FBoptions, or can you place a copy in $HOME?

Anywhere in the Houdini path works. I think the file also supports #includes too.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4140 posts
Yes, it's possible to have it shop-wide for sure. It's just the usual thing - panic - client needs that from the old job - you fire it off - damn.

Well that, and of course the principle of the thing.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4140 posts
/me tips hat to SESI.

Thanks

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links