SideFX Labs is a testing ground for over 150 tools designed to help you get up and running quicker. The SideFX Labs tools wrap up and release common workflows and create tight integrations with the software you use every day. The tools are developed outside the regular Houdini development cycle which makes them more accessible for testing and feedback.
Originally published as the Gamedev tools, this initiative has been rebranded as SideFX Labs to recognize that artists in different industries often share the same workflows and that these tools can benefit the whole Houdini Community.
To keep up to date on the latest developments, please click on the Subscribe Button for this thread. You'll get a short email every two weeks listing new tools, updates and bug fixes.
To learn more about the tools you can visit the SideFX Labs Overview [www.sidefx.com] page.
Each new tool should have a forum post where you can leave comments and suggestions.
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX Labs Updates12432 11 165
06 Dec 2019
- 1.33 (18.0.309) - Added Export UV Wireframe SOP. This tool allows you to export wireframe renders of your UVs, which is useful for texturing.
- 1.31 (18.0.307) - Added the Quick Tree HDA shown at the H18 Launch Event
- 1.32 (18.0.308) - Fixed PivotPainter demoscene
- 1.33 (18.0.309) - Calculate Occlusion now allows the cone angle to go up to 180, as opposed to the previous 90.
- 1.34 (18.0.310) - Vertex Animation Texture fluids and soft exported normals were calculated incorrectly. Added the ability to rotate a mesh in UE4 and maintain correct normal/lighting info.
- 1.32 (18.0.308) - Fixed all nodes still using gamedevutils module instead of labutils
- 1.31 (18.0.307) - Fixed issue in the Open Crashfile menu script.
- 1.30 (18.0.306) - Fixing Rizom nodes that weren't ported properly into Labs
- 1.27 (18.0.303) - Fixed rest of internal docs
- 1.27 (18.0.303) - Removed template help file that was causing conflicts with actual help file
Edited by mikelyndon-sesi - Dec. 19, 2019 12:41:03
20 Dec 2019
- 1.40 (18.0.316) - Maps Baker now has the option of controlling the gamma on the vertex color and diffuse channels as well as properly previewing the normal maps and other material maps if enabled.
- 1.40 (18.0.316) - Adding Cage Baking to Maps Baker as well as visualization of baking distances
- 1.39 (18.0.315) - Shelf tool creates the latest version of the Vertex Animation Textures asset.
- 1.37 (18.0.313) - Updating Substance Material to work with Mantra op references properly
- 1.34 (18.0.310) - The SkinningConverter now allows for disconnected pieces of geometry to be weighted individually. This produces really good results in cases where you, for example, rip pieces of cloth apart. A new toggle called “Use Mesh Connectivity for Weighting” has been added for this purpose.
- 1.38 (18.0.314) - Fixed ViewportMeasureTool drawable issue. Works again in 18
17 Jan 2020
- 1.65 (18.0.341) - Added a new menu option under the Assets menu that checks all Labs nodes in the scene for any out of date instances. When a newer version of the tool is available in the already installed release of the toolset. (mapsbaker::1.0 vs mapsbaker::2.0). Assets>Check Asset Versions in Scene
- 1.75 (18.0.351) - Added the support for just slicing the geometry and not creating bounding boxes on the Multi Bounding Box sop.
- 1.74 (18.0.350) - Gaea Tor Processor now fully compatible with Top Fetch without having to do any custom work as of Houdini 18.0.350.
- 1.69 (18.0.345) - SkinningConverter now has an option to weight pieces with specific bones with matching name attributes. This is a change from an earlier version where connectivity was used for this purpose. Using name instead is more robust, and allows users to be specific. An example of a use-case is exporting RBD simulations.
- 1.67 (18.0.343) - Updating the Substance COP with some new features.
- Fixed an issue where blends wouldn't work properly with inputs.
- Fixed an issue where inputs with same labels would conflict.
- Fixed an issue where the python callback would fail if there was no open 3d viewport.
- Fixed an issue with the graph dropdown not being able to be set properly
- 1.66 (18.0.342) - Gaea Tor Processor now uses TIFs as the file format to exchange data between Gaea and Houdini. Also fixed some minor bugs in the export resolution for Gaea. It will now pad to the nearest power of 2 resolution, rather than 2048. This makes processing a default Heightfield (1000x1000) process at 1024 rather than 2048, which is a lot faster. Also updated the shipped presets to work with newer Gaea versions. Please note that this did bump the version of the tool, so any already instantiated nodes of the Gaea tool need to be recreated or their type changed.
- 1.61 (18.0.337) - Added a Dissolve Middle Edge option after seeing that users usually remove it as the next step in their workflow in the Thicken SOP
- 1.69 (18.0.345) - Fixing cook error on the RC Texture SOP
- 1.65 (18.0.341) - Fixing OSM Building Node to use the building_levels attribute
04 Feb 2020
- 1.88 (18.0.364) Added Split Primitives by Normal. This tool allows you to very quickly split geometry based on normal on a particular axis. Eg: Extract all primitives facing +Y, -Y or both. Useful for modelling operations.
- 1.87 (18.0.363) Added the XYZ Pointcloud exporter in the ROPs context. Useful for exporting point clouds to UE4 or Meshlab.
- 1.81 (18.0.357) The lightning SOP generates lightning arcs between 2 points.
- Added very first TOPs node to Labs! Cut Geometry to Partitions allows for any top geometry to be split in XYZ pieces specified in the parm interface. Useful for when processing large pieces of geometry in smaller chunks.
- 1.91 (18.0.367) MapsBaker is now fully compatible with PDG. It works by simply pointing to it from a TOP Fetch. Once a cook is complete, it will also automatically report the textures that have been generated.
- 1.91 (18.0.367) Recompiling Substance Plugin against the latest Houdini daily build.
- 1.88 (18.0.364) The OBJ+MTL Importer now also scans subdirectories for referenced files. This means you can now have a “Textures” folder instead of having all files in root folder.
- 1.84 (18.0.360) Added support for baseColor usage in the Substance SOP.
- 1.87 (18.0.363) Added ability for the csv exporter to disable the export of a header row or replace it with some custom data.
- 1.84 (18.0.360) Adding the ability to not set the name attribute on the MultiFile SOP.
- 1.82 (18.0.358) Added bgeo and bgeo.sc support to Multifile tool.
- 1.91 (18.0.367) SkinningConverter will automatically convert incoming data to geometry. This solves cases where users accidentally plug in polysoup/other data, and assume the tool doesn't work.
- 1.88 (18.0.364) Set PhysicsPainter pre-sim detanglement collision to a concave solve. This should give much better results, at a slight performance regression. (Does not affect simulation itself, just the spawn location of drawn objects)
- 1.88 (18.0.364) Group Curve Corners now works regardless of the curve/shape orientation.
- 1.84 (18.0.360) Fixing display name on Lot Subdivision SOP.
- 1.81 (18.0.357) Texture Sheets ROP will now update render settings when a mantra ROP is connected.
20 Feb 2020
- 1.103 (18.0.379) Added Splatter Tool. Allows for the quick creation of splatter simulations. Useful for blood, vomit, water splashes.
- 1.110 (18.0.387) When using Vertex Animation Textures ROP in a TOP network, the output will be correctly reported.
- 1.104 (18.0.380) Recompiling Instant Meshes SOP so it doesn't crash with latest Houdini
- 1.104 (18.0.380) Texture Sheets ROP raises an error if it can't find a camera to render from.
- 1.101 (18.0.377) Vertex Animation Texture will use uv3 if uv2 already exists to store VAT data.
- 1.110 (18.0.387) Fixed some regressions in MapsBaker. Position map is normalized again, Normalmap has proper Y value, Transfering Normalmaps now also look correct. Also flatten UV.z component to prevent strange texture lookups.
- 1.110 (18.0.387) Fixed an issue in MapsBaker that would cause the tool to think it is dealing with UDIMs for geometry with perfect 0-1UVs instead of 0-0.999
- 1.103 (18.0.379) Set the precision of a wrangle in Axis Align to be 64bit. This should help with really large geometry. (Like OSM data)
28 Feb 2020
- 1.114 (18.0.391) Added 2D WaveFunctionCollapse to toolset. See: https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse [github.com]
- 1.113 (18.0.390) Added BoxCutter Tool. This is an interactive tool designed for hardsurface modeling, with a focus on speed and ease of use revolving around a boolean workflow.
- 1.114 (18.0.391) Added undo support for Boxcutter
- 1.113 (18.0.390) Added basic copying support for BoxCutter
- 1.113 (18.0.390) Added BoxCutter Boolean Mode to the options. You can now either subtract or shatter using the drawn shape.
17 Mar 2020
- 1.117 (18.0.402) Added Filter by Value TOP. This allows you to filter work-items by specific attribute values. Useful for cherrypicking wedge variations for further tweaking.
- 1.115 (18.0.400) Added WFC Sample Paint, which is a tool that allows you to interactively set the values of a WFC Sample Grid while visualizing the geometry “values”.
- 1.115 (18.0.400) Added WFC Initialize Grid. This HDA lets you set up a grid used for WFC without having to worry about attributes. It also lets you set up user constraints very easily. Also updated WFC icon.
- 1.120 (18.0.406) Snow Buildup now has the VDB resolution exposed. This allows for more control over voxelization
- 1.120 (18.0.406) PivotPainter now allows user to pass a custom random value through the pivot attributes. The user can set the attribute to use through the parm interface.
- 1.120 (18.0.406) Updating AutoUV to use the UVLayout 3.0 which helps with some crashing
- 1.120 (18.0.406) Adding lighting color controls to the Delight SOP to aid with keeping the color of objects
- 1.118 (18.0.403) Added documentation to the rbd director node.
- 1.117 (18.0.402) Added docs to Motion Vector ROP and removed increment parameter from start and end because it wasn't doing anything.
- 1.117 (18.0.402) Added WFC demoscenes.
- 1.120 (18.0.406) PivotPainter now keeps attributes from the incoming geometry. Just make sure to not clash with any of the attributes PivotPainter generates to prevent errors.
- 1.120 (18.0.406) Fixing an issue with the Houdini External Editor feature with non-string parameters.
- 1.120 (18.0.406) Fixing GOZ by updating the port number and updating to the correct asset names
- 1.120 (18.0.406) The Ramp attribute in the Occlusion SOP does not cause the node to recalculate the rays
- 1.119 (18.0.405) PivotPainter will not freeze Houdini anymore.
- 1.117 (18.0.402) Volume Texture ROP slices and images per line are decoupled from the final resolution. Up Axis parameter works again.
- 1.116 (18.0.401) Exposed Splatter simulation start frame, and set default value to $RFSTART instead of 1
30 Mar 2020
- 1.127 (18.0.419) Added Houdini Icon Test Geometry in sops.
- 1.127 (18.0.419) Added Road Generator tool. This tool generates road geometry from input curves, usually obtained from OSM data.
- 1.123 (18.0.411) Added Labs Attribute Value Replace. This tool is a wrapper around the Attribute String Edit to increase the user experience when dealing with a large number of attributes. This tool is very useful for example: Looking up and setting unreal_instance or unity_instance attribute by the name attribute currently assigned to the points. This makes the Attribute Instancer workflow for Houdini Engine a lot more convenient.
- 1.126 (18.0.418) Added another WFC example file.
- 1.123 (18.0.411) Recompiling and fixing up the Reality Capture SOP.
- 1.124 (18.0.412) uv3 was being added to all Vertex Animation Texture exports causing issues with the debug view.
- 1.122 (18.0.410) Fixed the Piece Attribute parameter to be working again on Delete Small Parts.
- 1.121 (18.0.409) Gaea Tor Processor doesn't duplicate layers anymore for complex TOR files.
10 Apr 2020
- 1.128 (18.0.423) Added Wang Tiles Sample sop, and Wang Tiles Decoder. These tools allow you to decode a black and white image into name attributes used for level generation.Also provided wang_tiles_demoscene.hip as an example in /hip More info on wang tiles: http://www.cr31.co.uk/stagecast/wang/intro.html [www.cr31.co.uk]
- 1.132 (18.0.432) Updated the SideFXLabs.json package example to match the update in Houdini
- 1.132 (18.0.432) Updated the demoscene of the MapsBaker to show how you would use PDG with it.
- 1.131 (18.0.430) Added the ability to set a custom default value on the Attribute Value Replace sop.
- 1.131 (18.0.430) Wang Tiles Decoder now allows you to specify what channel from Cd to sample from. Also fixed a minor indexing bug that caused top left corners to be incorrect values.
- 1.131 (18.0.430) Dissolve Flat Edges exposed: Collinearity Threshold parameter.
- 1.129 (18.0.424) Boxcutter - Added the ability to instead of “drawing” a shape, you just get a 1:1 scale version of it as the cutter. Set the Drawing Mode to “Input” to get this behaviour. The prompt has also been clarified, helping users that were unsure how to use the tool. The tool now also has Union as a boolean option, allowing you to add geometry instead of removing it.
- 1.129 (18.0.424) Alicevision nodes will now use the built-in file browser to pick images which also supports relative paths for images.
- 1.128 (18.0.423) Align And Distribute now has the option to also layout geometry in a Grid rather than a line. Useful for looking at large amounts of data.
- 1.130 (18.0.425) Vertex Animation Texture debug view would distort the soft export mesh if the position texture had an alpha channel.
- 1.128 (18.0.423) Restored Building Generator Scaling Modules toggle. This allows for scaling modules to fit a facade rather than generate sideslop geometry.
08 May 2020
- 1.143 (18.0.453) Added Triplanar Displace sop thanks to community contribution from Magnus Larsson - @MagnusL3D. Also added ability to project a matching color texture.
- 1.141 (18.0.449) Added Trim Texture tool. This tool allows for interactive UV editing based on a Trim Texture.
- 1.136 (18.0.439) An entirely new and updated Niagara ROP exports json files and automates a lot of the attributes needed for the Houdini Niagara data interface.
- 1.145 (18.0.457) Attribute Value Replace now allows the user to replace all non remapped values with a custom value.
- 1.145 (18.0.457) Updated GameRes to use MapsBaker. Note that this has bumped the version of GameRes and therefore does not affect already instantiated nodes of the tool.
- 1.144 (18.0.454) Impostor Texture demoscene has been updated to use the latest settings for an animation impostor.
- 1.142 (18.0.451) Extract Silhouette can now also extract contour lines thanks to community contribution from Raphael Gadot - @vieux_rafio. Also added the ability to now extract the silhouette/contour based on a (view) point or object fed into the second input.
- 1.140 (18.0.448) Added a toggle to Remove Outside of Silhouette to Extract Silhouette tool.
- 1.138 (18.0.443) BoxCutter now allows the user to rotate copies around a pivot that can be manipulated.
- 1.137 (18.0.440) Updated External Text Editor plugin to 1.3.3 from CGTOOLBOX - https://cgtoolbox.com/ [cgtoolbox.com]
- 1.137 (18.0.440) Building Generator Utility now shows a warning when you create a building module and do not fill out the dimensions parameter.
- 1.137 (18.0.440) The WFC Solver a visualizer aswell now.
- 1.137 (18.0.440) Added color visualizer to WFC Initialize.
- 1.135 (18.0.437) Adding option on the Decal Projector to not recompute the normals when copying points
- 1.133 (18.0.433) Updated Vertex Animation Texture Unity shaders for the legacy renderer to work with the latest VAT ROP.
- 1.148 (18.0.460) Vertex Animation Texture debug view had flipped min and max bound values.
- 1.147 (18.0.459) MapsBaker no longer has a tiny offset on reprojected textures.
- 1.145 (18.0.457) Fixed Calculate Occlusion Cd output toggle. Was inverted on accident few releases ago.
- 1.145 (18.0.457) Added a path fix in QuadRemesher, which will fix running the tool for some people on Windows. Also changed the tool to take in an attributepaint instead of a paint sop.
- 1.145 (18.0.457) All menu items that get added to the top menu bar and rightclick menus use index instead of a reference to a not yet existing Houdini menu item. This allows for appending the toolset instead of prepending.
- 1.144 (18.0.454) Animated Impostor Texture ROP rendered black images because camera_zoom was being set incorrectly.
- 1.142 (18.0.451) Updating Curve branches and Cable generator to not be hardcoded to Y up
- 1.142 (18.0.451) Exposing the up axis on the snow buildup tool
- 1.138 (18.0.443) Fixed MapsBaker Position baking error due to absolute reference in ROP.
- 1.138 (18.0.443) Motion Vector ROP would return incorrect green values if the camera was set to perspective.
- 1.138 (18.0.443) Motion Vector ROP would sometimes miscalculate the atlas layout.
- 1.136 (18.0.439) Motion Vector ROP info labels were returning incorrect values.
- 1.134 (18.0.435) Fixed bug in Building Generator where pieces that are the exact width of a facade would get scaled down when using Volumetric Overrides.
- 1.133 (18.0.433) Motion Vector ROP final atlas was inconsistent when changing images per line and resolution.
22 May 2020
- 1.151 (18.0.472) Cleaned up unity export of Vertex Animation Textures.
- 1.151 (18.0.472)Added URP package and functionality to Vertex Animation Texture ROP.
- 1.149 (18.0.467) Recompiling all plugins to latest version of Houdini to match HDK version bump
- 1.149 (18.0.467) recompiling Instant Meshes for the latest API bump
- 1.149 (18.0.467) Vertex Animation Texture ROP 2.1. Multiple changes that aren't backward compatible.
- 1.151 (18.0.472) PhysicsPainter start frame is now $RFSTART instead of 1.
- 1.149 (18.0.467) Optimizing Edge Group to Curve by making one of the wrangles detail instead of point
- 1.149 (18.0.467) Trim Texture now properly resets the viewport when clearing any changes made. It also automatically promotes UVs to be vertex to prevent weird viewport issues. Trim Texture Utility now also has the ability to initialize strips automatically.
- 1.149 (18.0.467) Vertex Animation Texture ROP was setting the fluid bounds incorrectly.
- 1.149 (18.0.467) Vertex Animation Texture ROP created an offset when using the rigid export. Please note that materials need to be updated too.
- Quick Links