SideFX Labs is a testing ground for over 150 tools designed to help you get up and running quicker. The SideFX Labs tools wrap up and release common workflows and create tight integrations with the software you use every day. The tools are developed outside the regular Houdini development cycle which makes them more accessible for testing and feedback.
Originally published as the Gamedev tools, this initiative has been rebranded as SideFX Labs to recognize that artists in different industries often share the same workflows and that these tools can benefit the whole Houdini Community.
To keep up to date on the latest developments, please click on the Subscribe Button for this thread. You'll get a short email every two weeks listing new tools, updates and bug fixes.
To learn more about the tools you can visit the SideFX Labs Overview [www.sidefx.com] page.
Each new tool should have a forum post where you can leave comments and suggestions.
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX Labs Updates5954 5 127
06 Dec 2019
- 1.33 (18.0.309) - Added Export UV Wireframe SOP. This tool allows you to export wireframe renders of your UVs, which is useful for texturing.
- 1.31 (18.0.307) - Added the Quick Tree HDA shown at the H18 Launch Event
- 1.32 (18.0.308) - Fixed PivotPainter demoscene
- 1.33 (18.0.309) - Calculate Occlusion now allows the cone angle to go up to 180, as opposed to the previous 90.
- 1.34 (18.0.310) - Vertex Animation Texture fluids and soft exported normals were calculated incorrectly. Added the ability to rotate a mesh in UE4 and maintain correct normal/lighting info.
- 1.32 (18.0.308) - Fixed all nodes still using gamedevutils module instead of labutils
- 1.31 (18.0.307) - Fixed issue in the Open Crashfile menu script.
- 1.30 (18.0.306) - Fixing Rizom nodes that weren't ported properly into Labs
- 1.27 (18.0.303) - Fixed rest of internal docs
- 1.27 (18.0.303) - Removed template help file that was causing conflicts with actual help file
Edited by mikelyndon-sesi - Dec. 19, 2019 12:41:03
20 Dec 2019
- 1.40 (18.0.316) - Maps Baker now has the option of controlling the gamma on the vertex color and diffuse channels as well as properly previewing the normal maps and other material maps if enabled.
- 1.40 (18.0.316) - Adding Cage Baking to Maps Baker as well as visualization of baking distances
- 1.39 (18.0.315) - Shelf tool creates the latest version of the Vertex Animation Textures asset.
- 1.37 (18.0.313) - Updating Substance Material to work with Mantra op references properly
- 1.34 (18.0.310) - The SkinningConverter now allows for disconnected pieces of geometry to be weighted individually. This produces really good results in cases where you, for example, rip pieces of cloth apart. A new toggle called “Use Mesh Connectivity for Weighting” has been added for this purpose.
- 1.38 (18.0.314) - Fixed ViewportMeasureTool drawable issue. Works again in 18
17 Jan 2020
- 1.65 (18.0.341) - Added a new menu option under the Assets menu that checks all Labs nodes in the scene for any out of date instances. When a newer version of the tool is available in the already installed release of the toolset. (mapsbaker::1.0 vs mapsbaker::2.0). Assets>Check Asset Versions in Scene
- 1.75 (18.0.351) - Added the support for just slicing the geometry and not creating bounding boxes on the Multi Bounding Box sop.
- 1.74 (18.0.350) - Gaea Tor Processor now fully compatible with Top Fetch without having to do any custom work as of Houdini 18.0.350.
- 1.69 (18.0.345) - SkinningConverter now has an option to weight pieces with specific bones with matching name attributes. This is a change from an earlier version where connectivity was used for this purpose. Using name instead is more robust, and allows users to be specific. An example of a use-case is exporting RBD simulations.
- 1.67 (18.0.343) - Updating the Substance COP with some new features.
- Fixed an issue where blends wouldn't work properly with inputs.
- Fixed an issue where inputs with same labels would conflict.
- Fixed an issue where the python callback would fail if there was no open 3d viewport.
- Fixed an issue with the graph dropdown not being able to be set properly
- 1.66 (18.0.342) - Gaea Tor Processor now uses TIFs as the file format to exchange data between Gaea and Houdini. Also fixed some minor bugs in the export resolution for Gaea. It will now pad to the nearest power of 2 resolution, rather than 2048. This makes processing a default Heightfield (1000x1000) process at 1024 rather than 2048, which is a lot faster. Also updated the shipped presets to work with newer Gaea versions. Please note that this did bump the version of the tool, so any already instantiated nodes of the Gaea tool need to be recreated or their type changed.
- 1.61 (18.0.337) - Added a Dissolve Middle Edge option after seeing that users usually remove it as the next step in their workflow in the Thicken SOP
- 1.69 (18.0.345) - Fixing cook error on the RC Texture SOP
- 1.65 (18.0.341) - Fixing OSM Building Node to use the building_levels attribute
04 Feb 2020
- 1.88 (18.0.364) Added Split Primitives by Normal. This tool allows you to very quickly split geometry based on normal on a particular axis. Eg: Extract all primitives facing +Y, -Y or both. Useful for modelling operations.
- 1.87 (18.0.363) Added the XYZ Pointcloud exporter in the ROPs context. Useful for exporting point clouds to UE4 or Meshlab.
- 1.81 (18.0.357) The lightning SOP generates lightning arcs between 2 points.
- Added very first TOPs node to Labs! Cut Geometry to Partitions allows for any top geometry to be split in XYZ pieces specified in the parm interface. Useful for when processing large pieces of geometry in smaller chunks.
- 1.91 (18.0.367) MapsBaker is now fully compatible with PDG. It works by simply pointing to it from a TOP Fetch. Once a cook is complete, it will also automatically report the textures that have been generated.
- 1.91 (18.0.367) Recompiling Substance Plugin against the latest Houdini daily build.
- 1.88 (18.0.364) The OBJ+MTL Importer now also scans subdirectories for referenced files. This means you can now have a “Textures” folder instead of having all files in root folder.
- 1.84 (18.0.360) Added support for baseColor usage in the Substance SOP.
- 1.87 (18.0.363) Added ability for the csv exporter to disable the export of a header row or replace it with some custom data.
- 1.84 (18.0.360) Adding the ability to not set the name attribute on the MultiFile SOP.
- 1.82 (18.0.358) Added bgeo and bgeo.sc support to Multifile tool.
- 1.91 (18.0.367) SkinningConverter will automatically convert incoming data to geometry. This solves cases where users accidentally plug in polysoup/other data, and assume the tool doesn't work.
- 1.88 (18.0.364) Set PhysicsPainter pre-sim detanglement collision to a concave solve. This should give much better results, at a slight performance regression. (Does not affect simulation itself, just the spawn location of drawn objects)
- 1.88 (18.0.364) Group Curve Corners now works regardless of the curve/shape orientation.
- 1.84 (18.0.360) Fixing display name on Lot Subdivision SOP.
- 1.81 (18.0.357) Texture Sheets ROP will now update render settings when a mantra ROP is connected.
20 Feb 2020
- 1.103 (18.0.379) Added Splatter Tool. Allows for the quick creation of splatter simulations. Useful for blood, vomit, water splashes.
- 1.110 (18.0.387) When using Vertex Animation Textures ROP in a TOP network, the output will be correctly reported.
- 1.104 (18.0.380) Recompiling Instant Meshes SOP so it doesn't crash with latest Houdini
- 1.104 (18.0.380) Texture Sheets ROP raises an error if it can't find a camera to render from.
- 1.101 (18.0.377) Vertex Animation Texture will use uv3 if uv2 already exists to store VAT data.
- 1.110 (18.0.387) Fixed some regressions in MapsBaker. Position map is normalized again, Normalmap has proper Y value, Transfering Normalmaps now also look correct. Also flatten UV.z component to prevent strange texture lookups.
- 1.110 (18.0.387) Fixed an issue in MapsBaker that would cause the tool to think it is dealing with UDIMs for geometry with perfect 0-1UVs instead of 0-0.999
- 1.103 (18.0.379) Set the precision of a wrangle in Axis Align to be 64bit. This should help with really large geometry. (Like OSM data)
- Quick Links