License manager

4504   3   0
29 posts
I installed Houdini 8.2 apprentice on my notebook and I get a license using internet connection; my trouble is the follow: Why should I keep the notebook connected in internet everytime that I want to use the apprentice license otherwise the license manager is unable to serve the license to Houdini? Can I use Houdini offline without keep always the notebook connected in internet?

Thank you.

Massimiliano
Staff
3455 posts
you shouldn't have to be online all the time to run Houdini…
the license should be good for 30 days - then the next time you run Houdini it will try to renew the license from the side effects site…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
311 posts
You should be able to use the note book offline. but my understanding is the licence server is bound to the mac address of the network card, so if it's disabled or missing you will have problems
7726 posts
I think the problem might be becayse your machine is reporting different server name and/or server code when connecting to the internet. If that is the problem, then maybe you can register a license under the server name/code when not connected to the internet. So something like the following:

1. Disconnect from the internet.
2. Start the Houdini License Administrator from the Start Menu.
3. Click on the Server Information tab and record the license server host and the server code.
4. Connect to the internet. Go to http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php. [license.sidefx.com] Enter the server name and server code and select the Houdini product to activate.
5. Copy and paste the SERVER and LICENSE keys and and save them to a file on a disk.
6. Disconnect from the internet.
7. In the Houdini License Administrator again, select File -> Manually Enter Keys…. Paste each key into a text box using Ctrl+V and press OK.
  • Quick Links