Freeze UVs and Textures Per Particles at event's frame?

1460   2   1
408 posts
Hi, first sorry for not submitting a file right away, i just would like some pointers and main guideline for now to figure out if this is something easy to tackle or not. Been bumping my head on this one this week and would like to resolve the matter.

Basically i have a backplate with moving camera and actor. A tracked geo for the actor, and i need to disintegrate that guy and turn him into flower petals. The particles are emitted on the surface to cover the entire actor, and the backplate is camera projected onto those scattered petals primitives. The particles detaching from the actor are triggered by attribute transfer in a SOP solver in the POPnet. All easy stuff.

But How would you, in VEX please, freeze/Rest the UVs/Shopmat/Texture for each primitive at the frame it detaches off of the actor? Since they all somehow detach at different frames... I thought i could stamp/code something into a timshift and use attribute copy nodes, but it does not work.

Any pointer, guidance, tips, more than welcome. I'll cook a sample file tomorrow or so as for now i do not have the right to share that backplate and assets. I had to walk away from thte project, sadly, because i could not resovle that one. Ouch. So i'd love to move on smarter from this and figure it out. Thanks.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 17, 2021 22:00:20
8595 posts
same as this [www.sidefx.com]
in that example file only P and v were updated every timestep from SOPs
and as soon as the particle detached, they were updated by sim

so you can just project uv and texture map string attribute eery frame in SOPs
and in DOPs update also v@uv and s@texture from SOPs
each particle that gets detached will stop updating those, and therefore will remember last values when attached

then just sample that texture at that uv in the shader or SOPs afterwards
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
408 posts
tamte
same as this [www.sidefx.com]
in that example file only P and v were updated every timestep from SOPs
and as soon as the particle detached, they were updated by sim

so you can just project uv and texture map string attribute eery frame in SOPs
and in DOPs update also v@uv and s@texture from SOPs
each particle that gets detached will stop updating those, and therefore will remember last values when attached

then just sample that texture at that uv in the shader or SOPs afterwards

Thanks for taking the time. I understand that approach, what i did not explain here and wanted to show in a sample file, was that it was built somehow for speed and i was only simulating the points at first with the dynamics... and then copy stamping the petals onto those points. And was trying to use the @stick=0 attribute group(when they fly out) to freeze the UVs per particles at that time post-sim. Due to the large amount of points / petals RBDs weren't fast enough to sim to deliver previews on time, not with my set up at least.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

A.
  • Quick Links