how do you export a hard surface model into photoshop

2647   13   2
320 posts
how do you or is there a way to export a hard surface model made in Houdini into Photoshop for texturing UVs then back into Houdini?
I guess what I am asking is can photoshop be used to paint on UVs instead of using Substance Painter which is another $49 a month for the package
Edited by bobc4d - Jan. 7, 2023 18:04:47
16 posts
unfortunately not, photoshop is 2D only
8554 posts
bobc4d
I guess what I am asking is can photoshop be used to paint on UVs instead of using Substance Painter which is another $49 a month for the package
you could save uv layout as an image and texture that, but that would not ensure continuity across seams

however since adobe owns Substance they decided to remove all 3D capabilities of Photoshop in favor of more revenue from Substance, even though I doubt the 3D mode in Photoshop was any good to begin with

But if you still happen to own Photoshop that supports 3D painting, I believe it imports .obj
Edited by tamte - Jan. 8, 2023 21:27:34
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
248 posts
sbsP can be had for $19/mo, not $49/mo package
and then there is blender
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
27 posts
Also, if you don't want Blender, there are other options too, me I use 3DCoatTextura, it's paid but have flexible options (permanent, subscription, rent).
Houdini Indie / Windows
"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche
320 posts
EVargas
Also, if you don't want Blender, there are other options too, me I use 3DCoatTextura, it's paid but have flexible options (permanent, subscription, rent).
what file formats from Houdini into Textura? can you use Apprentice with Textura?
27 posts
I believe it would fit your needs, because Apprentice can import/export OBJ right? (see "FILE FORMATS" here https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/ [www.sidefx.com]).
So you would export the OBJ geometry UV mapped from Houdini, import it into 3DCT to paint over UVs (paint across seams ok), then export the image textures to disk (there are multiple export presets available and you can customize too).
Back on Houdini you just have to load the image textures on your shader channels (diffuse, normal, etc..., depending on your render engine).
Houdini Indie / Windows
"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche
340 posts
Substance painter is $150 on steam for a permanent license. It is much better than photoshop for organic models. There are other free alternatives but I've found them buggy.

For hard surface models, photoshop alone might work. You need to create uv's in Houdini, generally with a uv flatten node and seams. You might want to add a uvlayout or uvedit node to fix rotations to make painting easier. Use the layout in photoshop as a template (generally setting it to multiply mode on a separate layer). After you paint the texture, turn off or delete the template layer and save the photoshop file as jpg, tiff, or whatever. Use this image as a texture in a principled shader in Houdini and assign it to your model. It is old school but often works.
Edited by Island - Jan. 11, 2023 10:39:06
320 posts
EVargas
I believe it would fit your needs, because Apprentice can import/export OBJ right? (see "FILE FORMATS" here https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/ [www.sidefx.com]).
So you would export the OBJ geometry UV mapped from Houdini, import it into 3DCT to paint over UVs (paint across seams ok), then export the image textures to disk (there are multiple export presets available and you can customize too).
Back on Houdini you just have to load the image textures on your shader channels (diffuse, normal, etc..., depending on your render engine).
I really appreciate this.it may fit the bill perfectly.
320 posts
Island
Substance painter is $150 on steam for a permanent license. It is much better than photoshop for organic models. There are other free alternatives but I've found them buggy.

For hard surface models, photoshop alone might work. You need to create uv's in Houdini, generally with a uv flatten node and seams. You might want to add a uvlayout or uvedit node to fix rotations to make painting easier. Use the layout in photoshop as a template (generally setting it to multiply mode on a separate layer). After you paint the texture, turn off or delete the template layer and save the photoshop file as jpg, tiff, or whatever. Use this image as a texture in a principled shader in Houdini and assign it to your model. It is old school but often works.
thank you. I didn't know Substance was available on steam.
320 posts
Island

How can steam offer Substance Painter perpetual license for $150 when Adobe wants $20 a month?
340 posts
You don't get updates or upgrade pricing but it has no limitations on features.
Edited by Island - Jan. 18, 2023 10:49:51
248 posts
a quick headsup, the sbsP 2023 license on steam will be available soon
the current '22 that is available will not get updates through the year. wait a couple of weeks (hopefully less, not more) and get the '23 license
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
340 posts
The 2023 version is available on Steam
  • Quick Links