pivot point

8987   9   1
2624 posts
Hi guys a picture says a thousand words , in maya I would use the inset key to move my pivot point thus letting me then snap my curve to a point. whats the work flow in Houdini for this ?.

Attachments:
pivot.JPG (26.5 KB)

Gone fishing
1390 posts
why you need to move pivots to snap curve to any point? Don't you can just use snap option (View menu of viewport or Ctrl+j) ?
As to moving pivot wee use Insert key of course - you know that, right?
Sorry, perhaps I don't get… hm the point :

is this what you mean?

sy.
2624 posts
I knew it would be something simple. I did a search and did find something with reference to a right click menu on the transform icon !. As to the insert key working as the short cut for this ! guess I didn't type in the right word or words in the search eh !
Still odd though how I have to chase my object round the scene to snap the pivot point to the curve , surely my object should remain still!!!

cheers
Gone fishing
1390 posts
So you wanna snap your object pivot to a point's curve, not opposite? You can do this in a 100 way! (or again I miss the point)

1. Put your curve to separete object and use this as a path for your geometry (see Path Object on Transform Tab on /obj level)

2. Put your curve in the same object and use it as a template for CopySOP specifing point's template 0 or 1 or 2 etc.

3. Append TransformSOP to you geometry and use point(“../mycurve”, 0 , “P”, 0) etc expression to retrieve position from curve and move geo on it.

…..

cheers,
sy.

EDIT:

ok I missed the point, you don't want to move your object, just pivot.
So the way with expression is the way to go. Just remove expressions from transform to pivot parameter of Transform SOP. You wanna animate pivot position?

Attachments:
pivot_to_curve.hipnc (53.3 KB)

1390 posts
if you want to animate pivot along curve, trim your curve with CarveSOP and link point position with pivot position of your geo. Than you can animate geometry with flying pivot .

cheers,
sy.
129 posts
There is also Toggle Handle-Geometry Detachment that works similar to Maya when it comes to doing temporary pivot moves for selections. The kbd-shortcut is “ ' ”.
2624 posts
Cheers for the insights ! but I do notice one weird thing when I use the insert tool to move the pivot point sometimes the geometry races off round the screen and other times the geometry remains in place ! maybe thats a bug in H9

Cheers
Gone fishing
9 posts
Have you guys noticed that when moving the pivot point using the <'> key, that the manipulator handles will only snap to vertices on non-selected objects? How do we snap the handle to the sameself selected primitive. I'm working within the UV view inside a UVEdit node and this is necessary to align UV shells… Any thoughts?
519 posts
IIRC the snap doesn't work on higlighted (aka yellow) selection sets. If you turn it off, somewhere on the stowbar on the left, you should be able to snap to your current geometry…
7733 posts
All this seems to work fine in my 9.1.123 build.
  • Quick Links