Karma - Texture Baking

2729   9   1
123 posts
Hello!

I want to ask what are the steps to bake textures with Karma? I saw on the Karma vs Mantra [www.sidefx.com] page that there is a preliminary support on H19.5 Karma CPU for this:

But the only element that appears on the TAB menu for bake is not related to this:

Thanks!
8554 posts
that's probably what preliminary support means
no high level tools, but technically it may be possible on lower level

like for example, Render Settings LOP has whole section of properties in Karma/Texture Baking
but I don't know whether they are sufficient to put together a working baking setup as I haven't tried
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
1737 posts
I got this going back on the alpha with some hints (ok, a LOT of hints) from Mark Elendt.

It's fiddly, but it works:

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/HoudiniLops#Texture_baking_with_Karma [www.tokeru.com]

Attachments:
lops_bake_screenshot.PNG (497.6 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
123 posts
Wow that's it, thanks a lot for sharing it @mestela, cheers!
6 posts
Sorry for a noob question but what is this Object ID thingy.
If instead of one pig head as in the example I would have two usd primitives pigHP and pigLP how do I tell which one is wich to the render rop? I need to mark them with some attribute with some fancy name?
7770 posts
pablo_lukaszewicz
If instead of one pig head as in the example I would have two usd primitives pigHP and pigLP how do I tell which one is wich to the render rop? I need to mark them with some attribute with some fancy name?

Yes, the render geometry settings has Low, Cage, and High obj ID settings for correlating the primitives that are baked.
1 posts
mestela
I got this going back on the alpha with some hints (ok, a LOT of hints) from Mark Elendt.

It's fiddly, but it works:

https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/HoudiniLops#Texture_baking_with_Karma [www.tokeru.com]

Thank you so much for this helpful post. I can't wait to start some baking in my karma OVEN!
859 posts
jsmack
pablo_lukaszewicz

Yes, the render geometry settings has Low, Cage, and High obj ID settings for correlating the primitives that are baked.

What are these ID settings? An integer, a string? Are they applied automatically and how do I find them? For example, if I have a cube and a sphere and I want a baked texture of only the sphere (but with the shadow cast from the cube, etc). Is it possible to set those ids?
Edited by Soothsayer - Feb. 22, 2024 11:02:46
--
Jobless
6 posts
Thanks @jsmack! How do you specify it?
I can't just figure out what to put there, how to tell Karma that pig_higlpoly is the high poly object and pig_lowpolly is the low poly one. This object_id thingy does not pop up much in the documentation.

Attachments:
karma_question.png (1.5 MB)

6 posts
Aaaaaa OK, got it.
Set the object id for lowpoly and highpoly to the same id via render geometry setting nodes and turn off the visibility for the low poly as well.
Attaching the setup image and modified hip from Mestela Hope that is ok.
Edited by pablo_lukaszewicz - Feb. 28, 2024 07:54:32

Attachments:
karma_answer.png (771.0 KB)
lops_baking_2objects.hip (761.9 KB)

• Quick Links