Another H20 question - auto walk/run cycles?

1327   5   2
233 posts
Any automation of walk/run cycles in the new H20 animation system?
7725 posts
No, but it's probably possible to implement a procedural walk/run system in APEX (just like others have done in KineFX before). YMMV though, mocap might be a better approach depending on what you're looking for.
233 posts
Thank you
8581 posts
edward
No, but it's probably possible to implement a procedural walk/run system in APEX (just like others have done in KineFX before). YMMV though, mocap might be a better approach depending on what you're looking for.

When I hear procedural walk cycle I always imagine C-Motion in CAT in 3dsmax

That was the best system I've ever used to quickly create complex believable cyclic motion for any character made out of any number of legs, arms, spines, tails, with full artistic control
Edited by tamte - Nov. 1, 2023 00:28:02
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
250 posts
In the late 90s, early 20s, I was working with a very cool DCC on my Amiga called Animation Master, it was a pretty advanced character animation tool for the time, and it had a very cool function for walk cycles called Stride Length that prevented feet from slipping when animating a walk cycle on a path, so I can't say if there will be an automated walk cycle function in H20, but something like Stride Length would be really cool and definitely a time saver for most animators IMHO!

Here is a screenshot of the manual to give a better idea...
Edited by GCharb - Nov. 1, 2023 06:47:55

Attachments:
stride.jpg (904.9 KB)

35 posts
From what I saw in that keynote re: the football being volleyed etc... It would seem you could create 4 key points in a walk cycle and have the "Dynamic Motion" do the in between stuff. It may get to 85%-90% of what you are after.

I have to say, not being a character animator I am excited to see this part of Houdini being pushed, and actually innovating compared to the regular character DCC tools out there
  • Quick Links