What’s the best holistic Houdini tutorial series out there?

566   5   1
2 posts
Hello all!

I’m a UX Product Designer that’s decided to learn Houdini for the first time. My goal is to hopefully be able to find that intersection between UX Product Design and how Houdini can help with that for future concepts.

My question is: What would be the most all inclusive tutorial series out there that would be both friendly (semi-new here), holistic and give an idea for future growth and experimentation?

FYI. I’ve watched many tutorials through the years, so I understand how Houdini works. What I don’t have is the experience to align this knowledge and make it stick via repetition.
685 posts
Hey psionicsin,

in my opinion, (you already have a basic understanding) it`s best to start a real project and do it entirely within Houdini.
That way you are forced to learn all the aspects you need that are relevant to your type of project.
Houdini is a huuuuge software and to get common with all of its aspects will take years.
Also, there are so many ways to do things.
I would say start a real project and every time you face a bump search for a tutorial or forum post that helps you to solve it.

Cheers
CYTE
14 posts
I also transitioned to Houdini from UX Product Design. It took me about a year to grasp the basics just looking everything I could. The next step is to start using Houdini daily and persist through the challenges. Stick with it and begin doing actual work in Houdini.

Additionally, I recommend this informative series to polish the basics: https://www.hipflask.how/ [www.hipflask.how]
Edited by timurproko - May 15, 2024 03:14:38
52 posts
I had similar thoughts recently... I watched a lot of atomic tutorials but what I think I lack right now is what you are describing as a 'holistic' tutorial series. Something that goes through all the stages of a project, from animatic to final render, with basic rigging and camera animation, lighting and takes, setting up custom passes etc...
4540 posts
psionicsin
Hello all!

I’m a UX Product Designer that’s decided to learn Houdini for the first time. My goal is to hopefully be able to find that intersection between UX Product Design and how Houdini can help with that for future concepts.

My question is: What would be the most all inclusive tutorial series out there that would be both friendly (semi-new here), holistic and give an idea for future growth and experimentation?

FYI. I’ve watched many tutorials through the years, so I understand how Houdini works. What I don’t have is the experience to align this knowledge and make it stick via repetition.

It's hard to find a single tutorial that has all the things you want but you can look through the list of tutorials here and watch the ones you are interested to get some ideas. Something that's seemingly completely unrelated might be of interest in your field:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials [www.sidefx.com]

Shameless plug my course is also there
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/pragmatic-vex-volume-1 [www.sidefx.com]

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
2 posts
Thanks so much for the knowledge and recommendations guys. I’ll be sure to research every suggestion you guys gave me.

I’m doing this not only because truly want to learn this package, but I also have a direct connection to a VFX studio. I could potentially do side projects for them. So this would make me a value I believe.
  • Quick Links