houdini apprentice crash in 3 steps or less ..

5172   6   2
35 posts
so I've recently started evaluating houdini 9.0 to see if we should buy licenses and maintenance. I've been using maya for 10 years and just never got around to playing with houdini. Anyhoo .. downloaded apprentice. I am on the 4th tutorial in the “basics” page that pops up when you start it. I am on windows xp64. I click the curve tool, have snap to grid on, on about the third point which I add houdini crashes consistently. I must say not a good start.

anybody have any suggestions. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I didn't see any forum labeled “bugs”.

thanks

-ranxx
7721 posts
If you choose Support > Submit H9 bugs from the menu at the top of this website, you can submit your bugs. I tried this using H9.0.731 on WinXP x64 and it didn't crash for me. You might need to be really precise about what you did. Also, submit the crashlog file that gets created. It's in your $TEMP/crashlog_username file.
127 posts
I've had similar problems with curves, actually in xp64 creating an lsystem was enough to crash it. In general doing all sorts of things in xp64 seems to crash hnd. The 32bit version seemed a bit more stable. This is all subjective of course. I also had a scene that i saved and closed normally and that then just would not open anymore.

Aside from that I dont think people who give a software a first try should have to act as beta testers.

How picky is houdini actually when it comes to graphics cards and drivers. I know from xsi that the wrong gfx driver can make the application be VERY temperamental while it is rock solid on the certified system.
35 posts
I've submitted the bug report. In the meantime I've installed the 32bit windows version at home and it works and am trying out the linux verison here at work. No crashes so far.

-ranxx
Staff
181 posts
We did receive you bug report, but were unable to reproduce.
Please, when you submit a bug, leave your email for contacts, so we can ask further questions (like sending the crashlog, as Edward suggested)
35 posts
I'm sorry, I did include my email with this registration and I thought I included it with the bug report as well. Should be very easy for me to reproduce. I will reproduce it and send you the crash log.

thanks

-Greg
Staff
635 posts
In general we have found that Houdini 9 is more reliable on linux and even on xp32 than on xp64. We haven't yet been able to reproduce all the xp64 problems reported on the forums and to the bug database, but I wanted to let you all know that we are seriously investigating performance and stability on xp64.

It may help to install the service pack 2 on xp64 if you haven't already.
  • Quick Links