146 posts
Midphase
From the presentation schedule for Siggraph Asia on November 19:

“A Walkthrough of the New RBD Tools in Houdini 18
NICK PETIT | SideFX”

Perhaps a hint of what's to come?
Hopefully release before that date!
19 posts
That Brisbane Houdini Hive talk on new RBD Tools in H18 in the news feed gives me hope that H18 is either this week or next week.
Edited by Kwesikwaa - 2019年10月13日 09:09:45
146 posts
Don't you think they will do a launch event like the PDG one? Solaris seems as an important feature as PDG for the future foundations of Houdini…
159 posts
jarenas
Don't you think they will do a launch event like the PDG one? Solaris seems as an important feature as PDG for the future foundations of Houdini…
In my opinion, Solaris is much more important than PDG, the development of PDG is somehow a little slow and still in an early stage. I hope the Solaris will be a more complete product.
146 posts
EricSheng
jarenas
In my opinion, Solaris is much more important than PDG, the development of PDG is somehow a little slow and still in an early stage. I hope the Solaris will be a more complete product.
That's part of my point. I don't think they will release H18 without a big presentation H17.5 style. And there's no appointment for that on the next weeks so I don't think we're near the release date. On the other side, I'm sure big clients have already been playing with Solaris for a long time so who knows what SideFx plans are…
636 posts
jarenas
EricSheng
jarenas
That's part of my point. I don't think they will release H18 without a big presentation H17.5 style. And there's no appointment for that on the next weeks so I don't think we're near the release date. On the other side, I'm sure big clients have already been playing with Solaris for a long time so who knows what SideFx plans are…

There will be a presentation about how a big studio(Animal Logic) integrate solaris in there pipeline:

Solaris: A Production Retrospective
https://www.sidefx.com/community/sigg-asia-2019/ [www.sidefx.com]

If they release before siggraph asia they have still got time.
Hope we hear a date in the next 2 weeks.
833 posts
Kwesikwaa
That Brisbane Houdini Hive talk on new RBD Tools in H18 in the news feed gives me hope that H18 is either this week or next week.

Well, let's say you're SideFX…and you're getting ready to release a pretty substantial update to your software, so you definitely want some press there. Ideally an auditorium full of journalists, bloggers, influential industry pros etc.

That type of event requires some preparations, venue has to be booked and ready, presentation has to written and organized, on stage speakers booked, and most importantly invitations need to be sent out with enough advance notice that these people will actually be there.

I'd guess is that if that ball is in motion, and let's say invites go out as early as Tuesday (SideFX will be closed on Monday), the actual presentation wouldn't be for at least another week to 10 days away, with an actual software release followed a few days to a week after that.

So my guess for an H18 release is November 4th!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
948 posts
Fun thread!
So let's play guessing, when you guys think that they will release the sneak peak? My guess is that it would be way before the release right?
Edited by mzigaib - 2019年10月13日 12:53:54
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
146 posts
Midphase
Kwesikwaa

Well, let's say you're SideFX…and you're getting ready to release a pretty substantial update to your software, so you definitely want some press there. Ideally an auditorium full of journalists, bloggers, influential industry pros etc.

That type of event requires some preparations, venue has to be booked and ready, presentation has to written and organized, on stage speakers booked, and most importantly invitations need to be sent out with enough advance notice that these people will actually be there.

I'd guess is that if that ball is in motion, and let's say invites go out as early as Tuesday (SideFX will be closed on Monday), the actual presentation wouldn't be for at least another week to 10 days away, with an actual software release followed a few days to a week after that.

So my guess for an H18 release is November 4th!
I'm not so optimist! If not for the Siggraph talks I would say first weeks of December. But if they release it before Siggraph, well, I would say release that week with sneak peek around a week before…
19 posts
At this rate it's safe to wish the sneak peek comes sooner. At least that should be a relief. After that, even a January release wouldnt hurt so much
Edited by Kwesikwaa - 2019年10月13日 23:50:27
833 posts
Hoping for some news soon, these guys are growing restless!!!
Edited by Midphase - 2019年10月22日 10:50:47

Attachments:
image.jpeg (224.3 KB)

>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
146 posts
We're hoping for a sneak peek of the sneak peek at least!
Seriously, I've been studying Mantra rendering and shading last months and can't wait to see what Karma+Solaris brings into the table
86 posts
Invitations for the launch event are already being sent out.
146 posts
powerstroke3000
Invitations for the launch event are already being sent out.
Interesting…. And have you heard about the launch event date?
86 posts
What i have heard is November 6th for the event
86 posts
And there it is:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/houdini-18-launch-event-tickets-76433323127 [www.eventbrite.com]
146 posts
powerstroke3000
And there it is:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/houdini-18-launch-event-tickets-76433323127 [www.eventbrite.com]
Yeah!

Interesting they're downplaying Karma, no mention at all (yeah, I know it's part of Solaris, but…)
4189 posts
looking foward to it… 13 days till rm -f mantra*
1755 posts
but will it play crysis
146 posts
Will definitely put your family time in crisis
  • Quick Links