Still unfixed from 12.5, anyone else facing these bugs?

10920   22   1
7025 posts
Hi,

So, H13 is great, lots of cool things, fasterness, viewport betterness. Great!

Sadly, there are a few persistent annoying bugs that, er, persist.

Am I the only one suffering from these? Halfdan has tried to reproduce and help me with some of them (tooltips in particular) in the past so I'm not trying to suggest SESI are ignoring them, but if they were more widespread I would think there would be more of an outcry

-Tooltips disappear/turn black
-Multi-input nodes (Merge, Switch, Copy) appear with the wrong number of inputs and wiring can't be done until you jiggle the node to get it to redraw correctly
-Drag and Drop stops working until you raise/lower/fiddle with the Houdini window.

Just trying to gauge the number of people suffering from these

FWIW these seem to be on Linux, single and dual monitor.

Cheers,

Peter B
4189 posts
Previously had the tool-tip being black issue on Kubuntu - thought it was to do with the screen saver kicking in but haven't tested in a bit as I've been in OsX land and no issues there.
Staff
4176 posts
I see tool-tips disappearing pretty regularly, on Linux (where I work the most with Houdini).
I'm o.d.d.
7025 posts
Hmm, screensaver eh? Goldleaf, do you use screensavers (GL ones in particular) there?
38 posts
Wild guess here. Are you using the X Composite Extension http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/319.72/README/xcompositeextension.html [us.download.nvidia.com]? Could the black tool tips be related to GLX Pixmaps? Running Xorg 1.14.3 here with nVidia Linux driver R319.72 and I get no black tool tips in H13.0.228.
Edited by - Nov. 9, 2013 07:22:44
If you'd like to cultivate insomnia,
Bed down with a pretty girl.
Amor vincit omnia.
Staff
4176 posts
pbowmar
Hmm, screensaver eh? Goldleaf, do you use screensavers (GL ones in particular) there?

Yeah, but it's just a blank screen screensaver. I'll check tomorrow when I get back to work to see if it's still a GL screensaver.

And I actually saw the phantom outputs appear for the first time today. I couldn't consistently reproduce it, but I'll keep I the lookout.
I'm o.d.d.
2624 posts

Yes happens often on linux with a duel screen set up.

Rob
Gone fishing
691 posts
circusmonkey

Yes happens often on linux with a duel screen set up.

Rob

Even with one screen setup also.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
599 posts
Can everyone in this thread post their system setup?
  • Operating system/distro and version
  • Gnome / KDE?
  • Window manager
  • Mouse focus policy
  • Fancy window effects, if any.
  • Window stacking settings.
  • Graphics card + driver version
    Basically the more detail, the better.

We have been spectacularly unable to reproduce any of these problems in-house, despite best efforts. It's hard to fix something when you don't know where to begin.

My suspicion is that the drag'n'drop problem and the black tooltips are closely related to how some window managers handle stacked transient and minimized windows (which is not completely standardized under X11, despite best efforts).

I remember getting the black tooltips on my laptop once, but that went away after an update (Ubuntu 12.04, Unity, optimus NVidia). Even rolling back the update didn't bring back the problem.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
Staff
4176 posts
Thanks halfdan; I can imagine how frustrating it is on your end too.

- RedHat 6.4, Gnome 2.28.2
- X.Org X Server 1.13.0
- Pretty vanilla settings (Click to Raise Window, standard window stacking, I suppose)
- I do have Super + Mouse for Window movement
- Double-click on title bar is set to Roll Up
- Quadro 6000 (VBIOS 70.00.72.00.06, in case that matters)
- Nvidia 325.25 drivers

My screensaver is just a blankscreen one, haven't been able to tell if it's a GL one or not.

I suspect it is, as after I move the mouse to bring it back from the screensaver, the viewport goes blank, and I have to relaunch Houdini to see anything other than wireframe mode. We saw that earlier, with 304/310 drivers, but it went away under 12.1/12.5 with 319 drivers.
I'm o.d.d.
38 posts
Operating system/distro and version
Slackware64 14.1 Kernel 3.10.17
Window manager(s)
Fluxbox 1.3.5 or Enlightenment E17 0.17.5
Xorg 1.14.3
Mouse focus policy
Click under Fluxbox
Sloppy (most recent window under the mouse) under E17, Activate on hint, New window focus: Only dialogs with focused parent
Fancy window effects, if any.
Composite Extension enabled under E17
Tear-free (VSynced) updates, OpenGL Rendering, Loose Sync, Texture from pixmap
Window stacking settings.
Under E17 Raise when starting move or resize, Raise when focusing.
Graphics card + driver version
nVidia GeForce 9300M GS+R319.72

I have had no major issues running Houdini under Fluxbox. I haven't tested Houdini under E17 yet…H13.0.225 crashes with a Fatal Error Floating point exception ( caught signal 8 ) when pressing the Tab key under Enlightenment E17 0.17.5.

BTW Nvidia Drivers 331.20/319.72/304.116 was released today…I ran a small test under the latest driver R331.20 I get black boxes instead of tool tips under E17 even in Firefox and nvidia-settings. I know that there was a workaround for Firefox layers acceleration (which uses pixmaps extensively) because of the following change since Nvidia R325.08:
“Generate a BadMatch error when applications attempt to create GLX pixmaps using glXCreatePixmap() or glXCreateGLXPixmapWithConfigSGIX() and the pixmap's depth doesn't match that of the specified GLXFBConfig.”
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/571641/?comment=3885239 [devtalk.nvidia.com]
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=896287 [bugzilla.mozilla.org]
Apparently there is a bug in nVidia R331 drivers if the Composite Extension is used. One workaround under Enlightenment E17 is to disable “Texture from pixmap.” but that results in heavy CPU usage.
Edited by - Nov. 8, 2013 10:49:59
If you'd like to cultivate insomnia,
Bed down with a pretty girl.
Amor vincit omnia.
7025 posts
Hi Halfdan,

Yes, I certainly wasn't suggesting you guys were ignoring it, and I'm somewhat glad to hear others having problems so I don't feel left out

Setup 1: (work)
-Centos 6.4
-KDE 4.3.4
-Kwin window manager
-Desktop Effects DISABLED
-2 monitors, both 1920x1080
-3 virtual desktops
-Euphoria GL screen saver
-In a fit on anal-ness I am attaching screenshots of all my window settings. If I missed anything let me know!
-GeForce GT 630, driver 319.23 (upgrading to 331.17 soon)

Setup 2: (home)
-OpenSUSE 12.1
-details coming soon
-1 monitor, 1920x1200
-Pretty much the same settings as at work
-graphics/driver info in my .sig apparently

Attachments:
pbowmar_wmsettings5.jpg (46.2 KB)
pbowmar_wmsettings4.jpg (56.8 KB)
pbowmar_wmsettings3.jpg (62.0 KB)
pbowmar_wmsettings2.jpg (56.7 KB)
pbowmar_wmsettings1.jpg (60.5 KB)

1743 posts
pbowmar
-Multi-input nodes (Merge, Switch, Copy) appear with the wrong number of inputs and wiring can't be done until you jiggle the node to get it to redraw correctly

It's not just multi-input nodes that suffer from this. Single-input nodes often appear with multiple inputs, and it occurs on all platforms, so far as we know. Sometimes you have to rewire too, if it's a multi-input node, because the wire will sometimes be on the wrong input after jiggling the node. I thought we had a reproducible test case for it at some point, but I don't know the bug number to check.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
7025 posts
Yes, the nodes wiring thing happens a lot and does require re-wiring. Glad (selfishly) it's on all platforms
1743 posts
ndickson
I thought we had a reproducible test case for it at some point, but I don't know the bug number to check.

Halfdan says that we fixed that case, but there are more cases that still as yet have no known steps to reproduce them.
599 posts
pbowmar
Yes, the nodes wiring thing happens a lot and does require re-wiring. Glad (selfishly) it's on all platforms
Reliable repros always welcome for that one. I've already fixed a number of similar issues in both 12.5 and 13.0. It seems like a very delicate area in the system.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
7025 posts
Understood, reproducing all of these is tricky
1743 posts
Yay! I have a set of steps that reproduces a wrong-number-of-inputs bug!

0) Start Houdini
1) Ctrl+click on the Sphere shelf tool
2) Double-click on sphere_object1
3) Press the Delete key
4) Press Tab, then type “ForEach”, then press Enter
5) Click in the network editor to put down the node
6) Double-click on foreach1
7) Click the output of each1
8) Press Tab, then type “Delete”, then press Enter
9) Click in the network editor to put down the node
10) Press the Delete key
11) Click on sphere_object1 in the network path to go up a level
12) Double-click on foreach1 to go back down a level
13) Click the output of each1
14) Press Tab, then type “Delete”, then press Enter
15) Click in the network editor to put down the node

The resulting Delete SOP will have 4 inputs, instead of 1. If you even click elsewhere in the network editor to deselect the node, it will switch back to 1 input. I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit, H13.0.220. Anyone else able to reproduce this?
4189 posts
unfortunately can't replicate the issue on osX 10.9, H 13.0.226
Staff
2593 posts
YES Neil, I was able to reproduce on Linux 13.0.221.

I've seen extra wires before, but this is the first time I've noticed the extra inputs.
  • Quick Links